Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I read that awhile ago somewhere - I will look it up.
Don't bother looking it up; there's a simple test. If that were true, you would've expected the Egyptian public, when they had a chance, to vote in leaders sympathetic to the old regime. They did not do so, obviously. Therefore I'll call bull**** on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

Don't bother looking it up; there's a simple test. If that were true, you would've expected the Egyptian public, when they had a chance, to vote in leaders sympathetic to the old regime. They did not do so, obviously. Therefore I'll call bull**** on this.

I recall a famous quote about voting attributed to Stalin.

Obama is another good example of such a populist.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
I recall a famous quote about voting attributed to Stalin.
Are you suggesting that the military junta rigged elections against itself?

That's a trick that eluded even Stalin.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM

764 posts, read 597,193 times
I love how yall pretend Obama wasted two trillion dollars and thousands of American lives so he could "bring down" Mubarak like in the Iraq Debacle. There's a massive uprising not just in Egypt, but the Arab World in general, but Obama saying "Move along" is what did it? Now, hes responsible for anything bad that ever happens because of the actions of an democratically elected Government? God, you guys are desperate...

Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Workers boost Egypt protests

Another Al Jazeera correspondent, reporting from Cairo, said there was also a renewed international element to the demonstrations, with Egyptians from abroad returning to join the pro-democracy camp.

There is even an internet campaign aimed at mobilising thousands of expatriates to return and support the uprising, our correspondent said.

There's the international element to the protestors.

More importantly - this seemed to be a union uprising.

Egyptian Workers Call for Democracy, Social Justice, and Jobs

The New York Times reports that some of the youngest organizers of recent demonstrations call themselves the “April 6 Youth Movement,†in honor of a textile workers’ strike that was crushed three years ago.

In the spirit of the pro-democracy movement, on January 30, 2011, representatives of independent Egyptian unions, retirees, and important industrial areas, along with workers from the garment and textile, metal, pharmaceutical, chemical, iron and steel, automotive, and other industries and government employees who have fought for decades for the right to form unions free from government control, announced the creation of a new Federation of Independent Egyptian Unions. The new federation announced that it supports and will participate in a national strike, called for by opposition activists, to begin on February 1, 2011, whose aim is to bring an end to Egypt’s days of oppression.

The link has a bunch of articles concerning the union aspect of the protests.

This wasn't necessarily a response to opperssion - this is the Scott Walker protests North African style.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
I love how yall pretend Obama wasted two trillion dollars and thousands of American lives so he could "bring down" Mubarak like in the Iraq Debacle. There's a massive uprising not just in Egypt, but the Arab World in general, but Obama saying "Move along" is what did it? Now, hes responsible for anything bad that ever happens because of the actions of an democratically elected Government? God, you guys are desperate...
He's not responsible - but he contributed. Money was paid. Weapons were given for free. Troops were sent. He wanted this - he helped get it.

It's not desperation - it's truth. Face it.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There's the international element to the protestors.
Egyptians going back to their home country is an international element? OK, so what? It's their home country.

If I lived abroad and my country was in the middle of a revolution I'd come back--wouldn't you?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Maybe Santorum will get in on the next election and America will be a full blown Christian dictatorship to counter and we can have another Crusades in the Facebook era since that seems to be what right wing nutters want

Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM

197 posts, read 213,012 times
Kinda similar to what the godshouters want for the US.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Pat Buchanan:

Quote:
George H.W. Bush abjured "the vision thing." But George W. had a road-to-Damascus experience during 9/11. He became a true believer that the security of his country and the peace of the world depended on a global conversion to democracy. And he would do the converting.

This is the ideology of democratism. Bush's zealotry in pursuing his new faith blinded him to the reality that whatever their failings, the kings of Morocco, Jordan and Saudi Arabia and Mubarak are more reliable friends than any regime that might come out of one-man, one-vote elections.
Obama is simply following in GW's footsteps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies