Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

p.s. OP: The First Amendment is what gives you the right to sit in your extremely conservative church whenever you want and listen to the priest of your choice give a homily on whatever he wants. As long, I assume, as Rome approves of what he's saying. Uncle Sam lets him say whatever he wants. Uncle Sam has been giving Catholics the right to protest and speak and hold hunger strikes for over 200 years. (Martin Sheen. Cesar Chavez. Tom Berrigan. The writers of all the blogs you read and post links to.)

You giving that up when you run for the catacombs? Nothing down there but a bunch of bones gathering dust. And a few tourists wandering through.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-28-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I don't know the answer and am just asking the question at this point. While the First Amendment once protected the rights of Christians in the United States, today it seems to be chasing Christianity back into the catacombs.

How is it possible to be "neutral" towards the Creator of the universe and the Lord of all nations? It isn't. Every man, and every nation, has to choose: whom shall you serve?
Can you give some specific examples of what you're talking about ('cuz frankly it sounds like you're just whining right now about your "feelings", rather than about anything in particular)?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:53 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
I don't know the answer and am just asking the question at this point. While the First Amendment once protected the rights of Christians in the United States, today it seems to be chasing Christianity back into the catacombs.
I see churches all over the place. If they aren't as full as they used to be, that's not the fault of the Constitution, it's the fault of the drivel that's taught in them.

Quote:
Every man, and every nation, has to choose: whom shall you serve?
If I had to pick a fictional character to serve, it wouldn't be the crazed Middle Eastern demon of the Old Testament.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Is it time to ditch the First Amendment?

Why not start obeying it instead?

It guarantees freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Even if we were going to continue violating it, there's no need to amend it out of the Constitution. The current administration has reserved the right to simply not obey or enforce any laws it chooses to.
Notice the anti-religion folks have been using the Courts to force religion out of one institution after another.

You can't have religion in schools, because government supports schools and that would mean government is supporting religion, so that's out.

Here in San Diego, they are even trying to force people to remove a cross from a hill that's been there since WWII or so, as a memorial to soldiers who died. It is on land supervised by the government, you see, so it's also out.

I suggest that the problem is not religion in schools. It's government in schools.

Get the Federal government out of schools (where it has no authority to be in the first place), and you will not only solve the problem, but you will also align the country much closer to what the Framers intended, and enshrined in the 1st amendment.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:

How is it possible to be "neutral" towards the Creator of the universe and the Lord of all nations? It isn't. Every man, and every nation, has to choose: whom shall you serve?
I strongly disagree with the idea that free speech serves as a tool for any such oppression, but represents the exact the opposite .... one of the most important defenses against it.

But, unlike so many of the liberal apostatical atheist hypocrites and self anointed keepers of freedom responding so harshly to your "question" .... I believe that freedom of speech extends to you to. And that really illustrates the fallacy inherent in your question to begin with. It's not free speech attacking you ... it's the mob mentality that believes freedom of speech only applies to them, and not you.

That's where the problem lies.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Notice the anti-religion folks have been using the Courts to force religion out of one institution after another.

You can't have religion in schools, because government supports schools and that would mean government is supporting religion, so that's out.

Here in San Diego, they are even trying to force people to remove a cross from a hill that's been there since WWII or so, as a memorial to soldiers who died. It is on land supervised by the government, you see, so it's also out.

I suggest that the problem is not religion in schools. It's government in schools.

Get the Federal government out of schools (where it has no authority to be in the first place), and you will not only solve the problem, but you will also align the country much closer to what the Framers intended, and enshrined in the 1st amendment.
No one's preventing religious folks from building their own schools. Oh, that's right, they want the Guv-mint (and the rest of us taxpayers) just to pay for those schools!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
The threads the OP starts are just sad and weird. No we should not ditch the first amendment, end of discussion.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-america.html

What changed between this thread and the one above?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
No one's preventing religious folks from building their own schools.
Nice try.

But in fact, the government is doing exactly that... by taking lots of tax money from people, and using it to build the government-supervised schools we have today. If people want to build a private school (religious or not), they have to pay for the government school AND the private school - a burden most people can't shoulder.

In some cities, they have experimented with "voucher programs" - after government takes that money from the people, they turn around and give it back to them, in the form of vouchers that the people can use to pay the school they want, to educate their kids.

Naturally, the big-govt addicts are screaming bloody murder about such a thing. It takes control away from government - something the addicts can't stand - and causes schools to compete for those voucher dollars and try to present educational programs and quality the people actually want - something the addicts hate even more.

The result is schools that get better, and try hard to save money and run efficiently, and are not under the command of government. The big-govt addicts hate this most of all. They scream that these schools somehow let students down... but are very vague on the details, since they can't name any specifics to back up their screams.

If the Federal government were to get completely out of schools as I said, they would improve markedly... and the big-govt addicts would lose the biggest means of control they have over American families.

For that reason, don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM

429 posts, read 654,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I strongly disagree with the idea that free speech serves as a tool for any such oppression, but represents the exact the opposite .... one of the most important defenses against it.

But, unlike so many of the liberal apostatical atheist hypocrites and self anointed keepers of freedom responding so harshly to your "question" .... I believe that freedom of speech extends to you to. And that really illustrates the fallacy inherent in your question to begin with. It's not free speech attacking you ... it's the mob mentality that believes freedom of speech only applies to them, and not you.

That's where the problem lies.
There is no problem. You are pretty much saying the "liberal atheist hypocrites" (which I am slightly liberal and don't consider myself an atheist) are pretending to stand up for freedom and are the actual problem. Well unfortunately for you people have the right to express their opinions to absurd organized region as well as you and the OP have the right to express your odd and crazy illogical stories as you wish. Just don't try to force it on my son when he goes to a public school, or laws on me that pertain to your organized group's way of thinking. Thats all I ask.

Personally, Atheist annoy me as well. The ones who want God taken off of everything, and take it to the extreme. They are just as annoying as Christians who want to prevent gays from having rights, or women having access to birth control. There are annoying people to me on both sides. Everything has to be a us vs them though it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies