Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
From what I understand, McCorvey has been a troubled person since childhood.

Age 14, she drops out of school to escape her alcoholic mother.

Age 16, she marries a 23 year old guy, leaves him, moves back home.

Age 18, First baby, Cheryl.

Gets pregnant again at age 19, adopts out.

Her mother finds out she's lesbian, takes baby Cheryl, kicks her out.

Age 21 -- the case that led to Roe v. Wade -- gets pregnant once again, her friends tell her to cry 'rape' in order to obtain abortion, it doesn't work. Another baby adopted out.

She spends the next 23 YEARS as a lesbian with her partner...until she is 'saved' by evangelical christianity.

Yeah, she's something else, alright.
I don't know where you got your crap about the third child but I bet it was from some left leaning female activist place. Ain't you story something. Her mother kicked her out for being a lesbian and less than 2 years later she became pregnant again.

Read the Kiessling story and you can learn a whole pile you haven't up to now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Kiessling, who was beaten and raped and got pregnant from it all is willing to stand up for him. Don't you read anything she says because she must be as dumb as you want Akin to be.
I am not surprised there are a few people who would stand up for akin, they are a slim, slim few.
as for norma, rogead said it well

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Agreed.

I think McCorvey has been a cultural chess piece most of her life: used by feminists in the 70s, and by the religious right more recently. In both cases, as a means to a desired socio-political end.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:28 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
I don't know where you got your crap about the third child but I bet it was from some left leaning female activist place. Ain't you story something. Her mother kicked her out for being a lesbian and less than 2 years later she became pregnant again.

no one cares

Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I have always thought it interesting that such an important Consitutional legal opinion was based on a lie.
I have always wondered about that part of the story and the Kiessling words tell me a lot about what really happened that is still going on as far as rape is concerned. I was about to forget the whole thing till I read her words about the number of rapes that were lies came out. Damn, I have always been on the side of the women who cried rape and all of a sudden find that too often that shout comes from a need for money to pay for an abortion.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Nice try but some of us know what is going on and that is the attempt to hit the GOP with crap like you want to handle. You did read at least one of the links, didn't you? I think that Kiessling makes much more sense than anybody else on either side of this argument, but as hothulamaui says she must be at least as dumb as Akin since she has explained that in her time as a woman's rights advocate she has seen more than just many lies about rapes.
I did read the link, and to an extent I agree with her about domestic violence and custody issues. However, my question is did you see the video in my link where it quotes Todd Akin? No doubt that you believe the victim in your link was legitimately raped, as was her mother, yet both of them bore children from rape...Something Mr. Akin stated believes is "really rare" because according to him the female body "shuts it down."

Quite simply the facts of her and her mother's story don't match what Todd Akin actually said and what he is going to lose the MO senate race over.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 08-28-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Roe v. Wade wasn't decided with rape as a circumstance.

"[5] On the merits, plaintiffs argue as their principal contention7 that the Texas Abortion Laws must be declared unconstitutional because they deprive single women and married couple of their rights secured by the Ninth Amendment8 to choose whether to have children. We agree.

The essence of the interest sought to be protected here is the right of choice over events which, by their character and consequences, bear in a fundamental manner on their privacy of individuals. The manner by which such interests are secured by the Ninth Amendment is illustrated by the concurring opinion of Mr. Justice Goldberg in Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479, 492, 85, S.Ct. 1678 14 L. Ed. 2d 510 (1965):

"[T]he Ninth Amendment shows a belief of the Constitution's authors that fundamental rights exist that ate not expressly enumerated in the first eight amendments and intent that the list of rights included there not be deemed exhaustive." * * *

"The Ninth Amendment simply shows the intent of the Constitution's authors that other fundamental personal rights should not be denied such protection or disparaged in any other way simply because they are not specifically listed in the first eight constitutional amendments." (Emphasis added.)"

Read more: N.D. Texas Opinion of U.S. District Court June (17,) (1970) - Per Curiam: - Abortion, Laws, Plaintiffs, and Constitutional - JRank Articles N.D. Texas Opinion of U.S. District Court June (17,) (1970) - Per Curiam: - Abortion, Laws, Plaintiffs, and Constitutional - JRank Articles

Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
I didn't know the complete story of Norma McCorvey, roy. I knew she had become a Christian and spoke out against abortion but not the complete story. Thanks for the link. It was very illuminating.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I think she was a pawn in the case, definitely...but the reasoning behind the decision was sound IMO.

The lawyers needed a body, and they got one. The outcome would have been the same if it were a different woman who had actually been raped.
The reasoning that caused all that lying was sound? Nine people allowed two people to help them make a decision that led to those millions of "legal'' deaths. That is surely sound reasoning. I wonder how many times a day those 9 roll over in their graves if they ever found out what that case was based on.

I guess from your reasoning that the crime Bill Clinton committed lying in a district court was ok since he was such an honest womanizer.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:

From an interview of Ms McCorvey, when she and her lover were still together in 1994:

Quote:
In recent years, Ms. McCorvey has been criticized for claiming that her pregnancy with the Roe baby resulted from a rape. She had not been raped but thought that saying so might speed up her case so that she could get an abortion. It didn't. The baby was given up for adoption.
AT HOME WITH: Norma McCorvey; Of Roe, Dreams And Choices - Page 5 - New York Times

^^IT WAS HER THIRD CHILD.

I got the name of her first incorrect, it was Melissa. Her mother obtained custody (ie, ADOPTED).

Quote:
Ms. McCorvey writes that when she was drunk, her mother tricked her into signing adoption papers, giving away custody.
^^FIRST child.

Quote:
After an affair with a co-worker resulted in a second pregnancy when she was 19, she gave the baby up for adoption.
^^SECOND child.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Gosh. Yet another old fart in the GOP thinks women are lying whores. Just keep cranking it out. Maybe your wives will vote for you but no one else will. Why don't you idiot men mind your own body parts and leave us females to mind ours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies