Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,594,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...
Good, I'm all for that. We can model our laws like many societies who have used capital punishment for the basis of eliminating threats from society.

Quote:
Neither has any victim of murder. Or anyone killed in a plane crash.
But many murders, rapist and child predators are released right back onto our streets to strike again. Maybe you like that program better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,501,161 times
Exercising capitol punishment only sinks the moral level of the state down to the murderer's.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Exercising capitol punishment only sinks the moral level of the state down to the murderer's.
Tell that to someone whose child was raped and murdered by a child predator that has been released twice from prison.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,122,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Tell that to someone whose child was raped and murdered by a child predator that has been released twice from prison.
The release from prison is the problem.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:09 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,326,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Are you advocating the death penalty for child predators? Otherwise your argument is for tougher sentencing. The death penalty has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Are you advocating the death penalty for child predators? Otherwise your argument is for tougher sentencing. The death penalty has nothing to do with it.
A second offense, yes.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Comparing life in prison to the death penalty, does anyone here besides me think its not that great of an alternative? I'm all for giving a criminal plenty of time for appeals since their life is on the line. But once a certain number of appeals have been reached, I say stop wasting time and money. It turns into throwin a bunch of sh*t at the wall to see if any will stick. Once they have not chance for parole, being a rat in a cage for a few decades while enduring a$$ rape and beatings from time to time doesn't seem like that much better of a choice.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,300,615 times
I'm not morally against the death penalty. Unfortunately, because mistakes do happen, I'd view the injustice of putting to death an innocent man as 100X more unfair than not killing a murderer. So that's why I'm against the death penalty "in practice" but not "in idea."

Last edited by TriMT7; 10-05-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Clarification of stance

Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephonee3 View Post
Pro-capital punishment or anti-capital punishment, that is the quesion?
Death penalty or no death penalty???

i want to hear everyones ideas for both sides!

and personaly i am pro-capital punishment (if anyone wanted to know)!
Mostly anti for various reasons.
  1. It doesn't deter other criminals. DP states have overall higher violent crime rates than states without the DP.
  2. It's more expensive to administer than a life sentence when you count the cost of a capital trial, the appeals process, and the overhead of maintaining a separate death row facility.
  3. It is unevenly and unequally applied to poor people; there are hardly any wealthy people on death row even though wealthy people are from time to time convicted of murder, which tells me that being poor greatly enhances your chances of being sentenced to death. That isn't right.
  4. It is irreversible; you can't un-kill someone, but you can release someone from prison after 1, 5, 10, 20+ years if they were wrongfully convicted.
  5. I believe we are executing innocent people. The appeals process, after a certain point, no longer allows evidence of innocence...it only concerns itself with procedural errors. That is jaw-dropping.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:29 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm not morally against the death penalty. Unfortunately, because mistakes do happen, I'd view the injustice of putting to death an innocent man as 100X more unfair than not killing a murderer.
To me it's an unacceptable risk...and I'm convinced it has happened and continues to happen. Just put yourself in that guy's shoes...imagine the sheer horror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies