Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,314,691 times

Advertisements

I am against the death penalty.

There are lots of reasons. Here are a few:

- It's an irreversible punishment, which isn't always the best complement to an imperfect judicial system. I once had a great conversation with a guy who spent just under a decade on death row before having his case overturned and the real killer apprehended. He was completely innocent. Had he been put to death prior to that turn of events, it would be truly abhorrent. Dozens and dozens of cases were overturned after the introduction of DNA evidence.
- It's expensive. Very expensive.
- It's geographically problematic. Commit murder in one state and you're toast. Commit it in another, and you're ok.
- It's subjective, otherwise. There's suggestion of racial bias, as well.
- There really is little evidence that it's much of a deterrent.

I'm for tougher sentencing for violent crime. I think long prison sentences are good, and I also think we need better education, stronger job programs, and stronger families.

Other elements police chiefs across the country have suggested as a means to reduce crime are fewer guns and better economic situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,314,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
A second offense, yes.
What case are you basing this on?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
Yes, but only in cases involving political corruption and war profiteering. Normal crimes like killing, robbery etc. just use imprisonment. Oh, add repeated drunk. and/or drugged driving to the no stepper list.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,228,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yes, but only in cases involving political corruption and war profiteering. Normal crimes like killing, robbery etc. just use imprisonment. Oh, add repeated drunk. and/or drugged driving to the no stepper list.
How would you define "war profiteering"? Would it include the GI Bill for veterans education and VA home mortgages? Would it include the Interstate Highway System? Would it include the advances in commerical aircraft and air traffic control systems, both military innovations, which permitted the rapid development of civilian air travel? How about the computer industry, since the refinement of microcomputers and transistor technology came about as a result of the space program, which had its foundation in the strategic missile program? Or the Internet -- which as you know is an outgrowth of a Department fo Defense innovation? I could go on -- for a long, long time.

The point is that all of us "profit from war" -- physically, economically, technologically, even culturally. While it may provide some fleeting satisfaction to point an accusing finger at the Halliburtons and General Dynamics of the word, we are being less than honest by not pointing that finger straight at ourselves, since we all have benefitted and continue to benefit from the developments and refinements in technology, medicine, and general science, that are the direct result of military action.

"War profiteers"? Face it: that would be you, and me -- and all of us.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
I decided that calling for the execution of specific individuals and/or companies in public might not be so bright. Just use your imagination and guess.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,115,994 times
I am pro death penalty

I would like to see those who commit violent crimes against children executed as well.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,294,585 times
I'm pro.

The reason it's not a deterrent is because of all the murderers and scumbuckets that should get the chair/needle/squad, only a minority do.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,861,281 times
I use to be very strong in support of the death penalty, but recently after some personal matters I'm not so sure. I now know that our judicial system isn't what i thought it was. Although i think certain people do deserve death, I'm not so sure that I have faith that only the guilty get convicted.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,092,738 times
Against. It makes the state a murderer as well, the state being all of us collectively… For the most violent criminals, life in prison. I'm against for not only the ethical/moral reasons, but because it is really ineffective and expensive, and actually does not deter crime. I think it might have been Voltaire that said several things on the subject: "It is better to risk sparing a guilty person than to condemn an innocent one."

I also Agree with Voltaire in that "Let the punishments of criminals be useful. A hanged man is good for nothing; a man condemned to public works still serves the country, and is a living lesson." Now, I don't believe in prison work camps, but if a prisoner was able to apply to a program that would allow them to do labor such as highway repair, construction, and other such jobs, and the judge found this person competent to do it under supervision of an officer, than we could allow these people to serve sentences faster, although they would still be required to go through the same appeal process. However, I would not allow violent criminals into this program, so it would not replace death penalty.. Death penalty itself must be replaced with Life in Prison without the possibility of parole.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,135,677 times
I am pro capital punishment.
I would like to see it applied to all violent offenders. Rape Murder armed robbery etc where the evidence is conclusive. I would also like to see it applied in a more timely manner. Meaning the day they are found guilty.
I am talking criminals caught on film. DNA, valid eye witnesses.
I would use George banks as a prime example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies