Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM

635 posts, read 539,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Texas leads the country in poverty wage crap jobs.

California leads the country in tech start ups and higher paying jobs.

Dont get me wrong. Texas and California are beautiful states, but I would not want a Texas economy.
I wouldn't want a Californian one, either... Truth be told, what I want is a German one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Texas leads the country in poverty wage crap jobs.

California leads the country in tech start ups and higher paying jobs.

Dont get me wrong. Texas and California are beautiful states, but I would not want a Texas economy.
It takes literally twice the amount you make in Texas to live comfortably in California when you factor in higher COL & state income taxes, which Texas does not have.

California is a nice place to visit, terrible place to live.

Texas is a great place to live, less desirable place to visit.

You get a whole lot more bang for your buck in Texas.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
The only thing i'm saying and living here, and with the business we have, do a lot of traveling around the State. If so many people are doing so great, how come, so many people are out of work!
This has been explained to you three times so you simply must not be listening or you're not interested in the answer. We are coming out of a really bad recession, a recession which hit California harder than most states because the real estate bubble was so much larger in this state, the good news is the job numbers really are coming on strong in this state. It will take years of strong growth before everything is once again peachy but that does not in any way take away from the fact that California IS posting the strongest job growth numbers in the entire country right now.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that? Is it that you don't want to understand it?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Texas is better across the board period.
If Texas is so much better across the board then why are your job growth numbers so much lower than California's?

Facts: You might not like them but they're still true and they're still there.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I imagine this will be upsetting to those who have delighted in predicting the demise of our great state, but we are leading the country in job growth. Chris Christie is touted by the California-haters as a great leader, but his state is dead last.

California Defies Lower-Tax Texas in Creating More Jobs- Bloomberg

I live here and this is full of crap.
We have actually about 20% unemployment.

If there is any job gains it is in adding more and more government union employees we can't use or afford and we are far worse off financially as a state than we are as a country.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Then there shouldn't be any more municipal bankruptcies being declared in CA since they are doing so well now.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Most of the bankruptcies were due to after effects of the real estate bubble. For instance Stockton paid for lots of roads and utility lines to be extended to new suburbs as a way of subsidizing development of new suburbs figuring the new property tax revenue would eventually pay for those costs. Well, no one really wants to live in Stockton and drive 2-3 hours each way to work on the coast (where the jobs are) so all those new suburbs are sitting empty and abandoned yet the city still owes on the loans they took out to pay for tens of millions in freebies to entice developers to build there. You see that over and over in the central valley.

BTW those areas are all the bright red districts where all the Republicans live. Imagine that, crony capitalism by Republicans brought their towns to financial bankruptcy. Who would have ever thought?

In the desirable coastal areas, where people actually want to live and will pay big money to live, we make the developers pay all those costs instead of tax payers. The developer wants to build a new suburb? Fine, but they also have to pay for all the public roads and utilities to get built as well or the subdivision doesn't get built. That way tax payer money isn't on the line. That's not true in Republican areas and those are the areas which took out lots of loans to subsidize real estate speculation and which are now going bust because they can't pay back their loans. One thing is sure though and that is it is not because of unions like Republicans love to claim. The towns going bankrupt are all in the central valley (with one exception, a ski town with a population of 1000) where the number of public employees are the lowest in the state and the amount paid per employee is the lowest.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Good news for California. Any news of job creation no matter where it is at is good news. The question is what type of jobs are these being created and where in the state are they. The economy right now for people doing trades, manufacturing, oil, etc is not too bad. For those with a college degree however it is horrible.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:37 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Good news for California. Any news of job creation no matter where it is at is good news. The question is what type of jobs are these being created and where in the state are they. The economy right now for people doing trades, manufacturing, oil, etc is not too bad. For those with a college degree however it is horrible.
I've not looked but I'd wager California is hiring plenty of well paid tech workers, as well as lower income jobs which are often the result of said tech workers.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
California has 53 Fortune 500 companies while Texas has 52.

Fortune 500 2012: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
California is a far larger state than Texas, so Texas has the most per-capita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies