Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BougNeg1 View Post
Why would you want someone to ask you if you are part white? To be honest, most light skinned Black Americans are ashamed of having Caucasian ancestry. You should be proud of whatever you look like. But always remember-light or dark-we are all Black. We identify ethnically as Black even though apparently so many of us have some European blood. And some of us have very little European blood or none at all. Either way does not make you more or less of a Black American. smdh. We are part of the same culture.
Many are PROUD of being of mixed ancestry. Why should they be ashamed? Most lightskinned Blacks are mainstream, and more visible in the media. They have features that are considered universally attractive. And most black men prefer lightskinned women. Just why would they be ashamed?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
They don't ask you that because it is not widely known that most American blacks have some white ancestry no matter what their skin tone. That bit of info is fairly recent. Doesn't make it less true.
Some AAs claim that they get asked if they are mixed because of their light skin tone, narrow nose, or texture of hair by other people. I have never been asked if I was mixed with anything, most just see me as regular ol Black. On a few occasions some even asked if I was from Africa--I guess unmixed looking Black American women are becoming a rarity

Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's true. I feel that you talk more about the mixed/biracial AAs than the full Black darkskinned ones. There are many of us who are not mixed, but we get ignored by this "we are all mixed" movement going on
I'm sorry, sweetie, but I don't have any such motives. To me, Black is Black.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Some AAs claim that they get asked if they are mixed because of their light skin tone, narrow nose, or texture of hair by other people. I have never been asked if I was mixed with anything, most just see me as regular ol Black. On a few occasions some even asked if I was from Africa--I guess unmixed looking Black American women are becoming a rarity
You should be proud of your African looks.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
If that is true then how come no one ever asks me if I am mixed with White? The only African Americans who get asked if they have Caucasian ancestry are the lighter skinned AAs. People always ask me if I am from Africa.
Yes, it is true. I had a brother who was dark-skinned, and my mother is half-white with very light skin. But, my father had dark skin. My brother used to tell me how shocked people were when he would introduce my mother. So, if a dark-skinned person can have a half-white mother, a white grandmother, and two white great-grandparents, what makes you believe it's impossible for you to have European ancestry?

But, why is Caucasian ancestry of such importance to you? What's wrong with having African ancestry, or for others to assume you are from Africa? I have known stunningly beautiful, dark-skinned women from Africa.

Quote:
Because everyone always talks about the the AAs who are mixed, and lightskinned looking while totally ignoring a lot of us who are brown or very darkskinned. I feel that in the black community I take a backseat to most lightskinned Blacks and mulattoes. I don't feel very important or valued at all. You see this same attitude in the media, most lightskinned black women are more visible in the media than darker skinned full black women.
You only take a backseat if you put yourself there. No one is better than you because they're lighter. That's absolute nonsense. You will never be happy if you rely on others to validate your worth. Don't worry about shallow folks. Be the best you can be, and surround yourself with positive people who will judge you by your character. But, you must first love and value yourself.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
I don't know where you live, but I see dark-skinned women on a daily basis. I don't give it a second thought. To me, they are no different than a light-skinned black woman. As for beauty, some of the most physically attractive women are the ugliest inside. True beauty comes from the spirit.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm sorry, sweetie, but I don't have any such motives. To me, Black is Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You should be proud of your African looks.

This ^^^

Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, why is Caucasian ancestry of such importance to you? What's wrong with having African ancestry, or for others to assume you are from Africa? I have known stunningly beautiful, dark-skinned women from Africa.

You only take a backseat if you put yourself there. No one is better than you because they're lighter. That's absolute nonsense. You will never be happy if you rely on others to validate your worth. Don't worry about shallow folks. Be the best you can be, and surround yourself with positive people who will judge you by your character. But, you must first love and value yourself.

This ^^^ but sadly she seems to always ignore the posts which toss positivity her way.

Some of the most beautiful and desireable women in world are dark skinned Black women. These women are too busy living amazing lives to worry about random hip hop artists rapping about "redbones" etc. And I wish that young Black American women would stop using athletes and rappers as their barometer of beauty because these men do not dictateTRUE beauty. For ever athlete or rapper who doesn't like dark skinned Black women (or any Black women for that matter) I can show you an example of a multi-millionaire business man (or billionaire) who does.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
Didn't our President write his book from the standpoint of being black? I think that he caused Clinton to not like him because he called himself black and the party called him our first black President while Clinton called himself the first black president.

Good thread, anyway.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.
because Race is determined solely on what you look like?

any other stupid questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies