Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,459,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; how many Black ladies were disowned for having a kid by an anglo white dude?
Plenty. My mother was telling me that back in the 1920's and through the sixties, when black women had "white" babies, they were called "insurance babies". lol During those days, white men were often the ones who sold insurance policies, and collected the payments. When a woman didnt have money for the payments, sometimes she would have sex with the agent in exchange.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lindo View Post
Plenty. My mother was telling me that back in the 1920's and through the sixties, when black women had "white" babies, they were called "insurance babies". lol During those days, white men were often the ones who sold insurance policies, and collected the payments. When a woman didnt have money for the payments, sometimes she would have sex with the agent in exchange.
Tell that to hitman619, please.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I am not sure if I believe you. A lot of black americans online always claim to be medium toned or lightskinned with white ancestors. Nobody ever admits to being darkskinned, with predominantly black ancestry. I feel like I am the only darkskinned unmixed Black woman online.
LOL!!

I actually WISH I was dark skinned and I chide my mom all the time about getting with my light, bright, almost white looking dad and making me medium brown, instead of dark. I love dark skin and nappy hair.

You honestly remind me of my grandma, she was very uncomfortable in her dark black skin for the majority of her life. It didn't help that she was the only one out of her brothers and sisters who was dark skinned like their father (her mother's mother was the mullato, so her mother was around my own skin tone and she had green eyes as did two of my grandmother's siblings). My grandma's name was Florence and her nickname as a child and even when people wanted to make fun of her as an adult was "Florence Night-engale" with emphasis on night because she was black as midnight.

She was beautiful to me and she did tell me that I helped her see how stupid it was not to relish her dark skin. I remember painting my nails and wanting to paint hers when I was a child and her telling me she couldn't paint her's mauve (pinkish/brown, still one of my favorite nail polish colors) because as a dark skinned person, she could only well dark reds. She would always say weird things that harkened back to her being dark. One thing I will say for her though, she was beautiful, and I mean, bea-u-ti-ful, like most dark skinned women IMO. And she did think she was fine, she just didn't like that she was so dark. She never had a problem getting a man and she had all hues of men. I remember men hitting on her and my mom who was dark like her when I was a girl. My mom is still very beautiful. She is only 50 but is just a gorgeous woman IMO. I am happy that my daughter favors both of them more than she does me and that my daughter is darker than me and her dad. I am hoping she turns out to be darker skinned as I think it will make her more of a beauty.

But yea, I wish I were darker and I wish I had nappier hair. I wear my hair natural and it isn't nappy enough IMO, it is too soft and won't stay up the way I want it to and I don't have a kinky "z" pattern or an "s" pattern, just flat frizzy hair and I wish it were extra nappy so I could do certain styles with it.

I am hoping you are young are will stop thinking that black people especially think less of you because you are dark skinned. Some people don't like dark skinned blacks just like they don't like light skinned blacks. My dad, who is REALLY light skinned, could tell you some stories that would blow your socks off. I am in between my mom and dad. I also have a few cousins who are half black and white. They are mixed with my darker skinned relatives on my mom's side and their half white kids are the same color as I am and people would never think that they were half white until 1- they met their mother/father who is white, or 2-they told you they were mixed (which is what they call themselves - not "bi-racial").

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have never understood prejudice based on skin color even though I was raised by some very prejudiced people. They taught me to stay away from Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, French Canadians and anyone else not completely White as well as to hate Jews. I guess I figured they were wrong about everything else so why believe them about this. So I did not.

I currently count people of all of these ancestries among my friends. That was a good decision.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have never understood prejudice based on skin color even though I was raised by some very prejudiced people. They taught me to stay away from Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, French Canadians and anyone else not completely White as well as to hate Jews. I guess I figured they were wrong about everything else so why believe them about this. So I did not.

I currently count people of all of these ancestries among my friends. That was a good decision.
"among my friends."
More along the lines of "among my Brothers" since we all share the same same family tree going back to Africa. When the majority of us are mixed (Like were not already) we can get over the color differences. Of course we will still fight over Financial resources, Religion, Nationalism and many other isms.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 09-04-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
In Nyanna's defense he could be telling the truth. I think it all depends on your situation.

For instance, have 3 sisters and none of us can pass the paper bag test. But growing up, my oldest sister, who is the darkest, was EASILY the most pursued. She was the "it" girl in high school dating the star basketball player, got stopped in the street several times (we are from NYC) and offered modeling jobs, and always had a gang of men in love with her. My other sisters are no slouches either. Once we all got dressed up to take a portrait as a gift to my mom on mothers day, and 1. while we were walking back from the photographer's studio and 2. while sitting waiting to take the pictures - people asked my sisters if they were models. (and before anyone calls me vain notice I said they were talking to them, not me haha). So I never grew up thinking dark skin was bad though I knew there was an attitude out there about it, but it just seemed like silliness to me.

BUT, when we would go visit my family in Alabama, it would be an issue. I remember hanging out with my cousins and her friends who were all brown skinned and darker, and how they had rivalries with the light girls and they would call each other nasty names back and forth. And just to show it was not all about location, I have a friend who is VERY dark and also happens to be one of the most beautiful women I've ever laid eyes on in person. She's a performer and actually has her skin tone as part of her name. She's another one men love. But I remember riding the subway with her in Queens and was astounded by the comments other women threw at her about her being so "black". They were sitting across from us and mocking us for being dark. I had never experienced anything like that before but she told me it happens to her all the time. I was shocked. I mean this girl is drop dead gorgeous, so I didn't get it. I'd heard people getting mocked for their dark skin before mind you, but it was usually because they didn't like a particular person, not just randomly like that.

That said Nyanna, there are lots men who are not color struck and will fall all over you come across cute and sane. Don't waste time on the stupid. I always considered statements like "you look good for a dark skinned chick" a big favor actually. That and comments that assume people with dark skin are not likely to be classy or accomplished. It just let me know who not to bother with. Try to work on not carrying around that anger. That will turn men off faster than your complexion IMO.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Now what were people saying about that 1 drop rule thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knordic Knights View Post
Whites are more equip to handle jobs that require deeper thought. Yes I know Hussein is half white but he's still got Negro blood, which prevents him from being more intelligent than an 100% full blooded Anglo.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now what were people saying about that 1 drop rule thing?
Uh; the post you quoted is gone. No loss cause it was out and out racist and ignorant.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL!!

I actually WISH I was dark skinned and I chide my mom all the time about getting with my light, bright, almost white looking dad and making me medium brown, instead of dark. I love dark skin and nappy hair.

You honestly remind me of my grandma, she was very uncomfortable in her dark black skin for the majority of her life. It didn't help that she was the only one out of her brothers and sisters who was dark skinned like their father (her mother's mother was the mullato, so her mother was around my own skin tone and she had green eyes as did two of my grandmother's siblings). My grandma's name was Florence and her nickname as a child and even when people wanted to make fun of her as an adult was "Florence Night-engale" with emphasis on night because she was black as midnight.

She was beautiful to me and she did tell me that I helped her see how stupid it was not to relish her dark skin. I remember painting my nails and wanting to paint hers when I was a child and her telling me she couldn't paint her's mauve (pinkish/brown, still one of my favorite nail polish colors) because as a dark skinned person, she could only well dark reds. She would always say weird things that harkened back to her being dark. One thing I will say for her though, she was beautiful, and I mean, bea-u-ti-ful, like most dark skinned women IMO. And she did think she was fine, she just didn't like that she was so dark. She never had a problem getting a man and she had all hues of men. I remember men hitting on her and my mom who was dark like her when I was a girl. My mom is still very beautiful. She is only 50 but is just a gorgeous woman IMO. I am happy that my daughter favors both of them more than she does me and that my daughter is darker than me and her dad. I am hoping she turns out to be darker skinned as I think it will make her more of a beauty.

But yea, I wish I were darker and I wish I had nappier hair. I wear my hair natural and it isn't nappy enough IMO, it is too soft and won't stay up the way I want it to and I don't have a kinky "z" pattern or an "s" pattern, just flat frizzy hair and I wish it were extra nappy so I could do certain styles with it.

I am hoping you are young are will stop thinking that black people especially think less of you because you are dark skinned. Some people don't like dark skinned blacks just like they don't like light skinned blacks. My dad, who is REALLY light skinned, could tell you some stories that would blow your socks off. I am in between my mom and dad. I also have a few cousins who are half black and white. They are mixed with my darker skinned relatives on my mom's side and their half white kids are the same color as I am and people would never think that they were half white until 1- they met their mother/father who is white, or 2-they told you they were mixed (which is what they call themselves - not "bi-racial").
You are what you are. You didn't pick your parents but they picked YOU. Be proud of your looks instead of wishing your something you ain't. It sounds like you're still a decent looking lady. I have that "godawful" flaming "Irish" red hair and ain't real happy over it but it is what it is so I work with it.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
One drop rule . So white slave owners wouldn't have to support/honor their existence their bastard children they raped black women for they made the one drop rule and it just never changed . However I believe in the UK biracials get to be biracial and not be forced to ignore one half of their identies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies