Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
My nephew is biracial [Black and latino] anyways, he identifies as a latino though and my sister [who is black] is bothered by this because she feels her side is being ignored. Do you ever feel like that with having biracial kids???
Latino ain't a race tho many if not most have some "Black" in their ancestry. Black Dominicans are Black AND Hispanic 100 percent for each.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Latino ain't a race tho many if not most have some "Black" in their ancestry. Black Dominicans are Black AND Hispanic 100 percent for each.
Thank you. I'm well aware of that and don't need a lesson on what Latino is.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I would bet that the mother wishes her son had more of a feeling of connectivity to his LATINO ROOTS and the Latino culture.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
Because of the one drop rule and the fact that SSA phenotypes are dominant.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Because of the one drop rule and the fact that SSA phenotypes are dominant.
The "one drop rule" is an obsolete and arbitrary dinosaur rooted in racism and fear. It's a ridiculous legacy to cling to.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
The One Drop Rule in the United States is associated with the Eugenics movement in the U.S.

The past scientific concept of white people being biologically superior, more biologically evolved, than other races, particularly blacks.

But those that write about science for popular reading fundamentally dislike the principle of falsifiability and eliminate all prominent scientific views of the recent past now proven false, by using the No True Scotsman logical fallacy, essentially. And you don't have to be a logician or philosopher to be a scientists. However, to not be blacklisted you generally have to parrot the views held by the majority of your peers in science.

Change comes--scientist, historian, and philosopher of science Thomas Kuhn proposed--through shifts in the paradigm. Kind of like acceptance of gay marriage is a shift in the values paradigm of contemporary Western people.

Unless you wanted to be labeled stupid, mocked as a believer in myths an fairy tales, during the late 1800s and early 1900s you wouldn't have seriously proposed the biological equality of all men irrespective of their race, in terms of capabilities, intelligence wise and so forth.

Race was viewed as something essential. It was thought as something essential within blood and whatever discrete units of heredity operated in the human body. Later it was assigned to genetics.

The One Drop Rule is essentially the concept of hypodescent. Hypodescent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is info on the No True Scotsman logical fallacy. No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Science is viewed as never wrong because those that write about science enjoy writing off scientific propositions proven false today, especially if those views are looked upon as unethical today, as "pseudoscience" or "No true science at all."

This allows unquestioned obedience and provides an air of infallibility for scientists.

With respects to physical looks and phenotypic features I would argue that color and labels are useful. We need them to be able to track patterns of racism as well to use in crime reports. If a serial rapists is running around we need for the witnesses, victims, and the police to provide physical descriptions.

In this way race can be used to connote physical appearance and not something essential to either the "blood" or genotype of the person. This is how race is viewed in Brazil and I think it's a more accurate model. Under this construct one female sibling can be labeled a dark morena and the other a white person or dark blanca, with both of them sharing the same biological mother and father.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.

This is very simple. White supremacy and the white racial identity defines who is or isn't identified racially as black. White supremacy and the white racial identity is the ONLY reason that racial categories exist.

Think about all the different nations like China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, etc and so on and cultures, and languages, but when they come here we put them all in this racial category called Asian.

These racial categorizations don't exist and are not maintained for the benefit of so called Asians, or black people,or those labeled hispanic.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Then I just wonder why so many people insist that he's our "first black president?"
Because Barack Obama identifies himself as a Black man. And most people would never identify him as a White man.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
Easy question to answer. Many genes that make one a Caucasoid are recessive traits. They are overridden in most cases of Caucasian/Ethnic mixtures. "Most but not all" The offspring of a Caucasian and a black person is most likely going to be black unless the black person has inherited genes from Caucasian ancestors. And when that is the case a black person and a white person can create white offspring.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because Barack Obama identifies himself as a Black man. And most people would never identify him as a White man.
I agree that it's his right to self identify as Black, though if he were my child I would be personally hurt. However, even if he didn't do so, I am very sure that many people, black and white alike, in the media and in the general population, would identify him as simply "black."

Interesting article on the topic:
Behind the Scenes: Is Barack Obama black or biracial? - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies