Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Bring a boat in either place and good luck. I'll stop by and have a drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:04 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Sounds good. If I can find some ice, we'll have frozen Margarita's.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:08 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Double Post

Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
I posted this in another thread so here it is again.

Here is a graph showing global temperatures over the last 1000 years or so.

There were none of the supposed factors in 1200-1300 a.d. yet global temperatures were much higher than they are now.

Global temperature fluctuations are part of the norm.

Last edited by Mike1306; 10-05-2007 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: up now

Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
I don't think that image is a generally accepted model in most of the scientific community.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
My concern is that we just buy into all of this "crisis", planetary "emergency" nonsense, as it seems many here have and we start going full steam ahead with all these ridicules political solutions, and it turns out that when all the smoke clears and cooler heads (pun intended) prevail, It actually has something to do with the SUN! So yeah , I think it is definately still debatable!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:11 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I think people get too tied up in the whole global warming debate.

There are plenty of good reasons to want improved air quality and to preserve forests, habitat etc. without having to get into discussions around global warming.
Additionally, there is just more demand and a shrinking supply for fossil fuels so it's also in our economic interests to shift gradually in other directions.

Most peoples views on global warming tend to match thier political affiliation so I personally question that people really took the time to follow the issue or are just following their party line on the topic. (either direction).

Frankly, the earth IS warming (amazing how some people can't even admit to that).
Causes and the amount of contribution for each cause is less certain.
I find the evidence linking CO2 levels to temperature compelling....I do think some of the projections are rather iffy.

Additionally, I'm not sure global warming is inherently a terrible thing....the earth changes...things adapt....or not....that's life.

You do realize that there have been specials about how during some ice-ages the earth may have come close to a tipping point where as the earth gets cold and more ice...it reflects sunlight and cools more etc. and that the earth could feasibly freeze over? (I haven't looked into it too closely just food for thought that Wisconsin used to be 95% glacier not too long ago.)

Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You do realize that there have been specials about how during some ice-ages the earth may have come close to a tipping point where as the earth gets cold and more ice...it reflects sunlight and cools more etc. and that the earth could feasibly freeze over? (I haven't looked into it too closely just food for thought that Wisconsin used to be 95% glacier not too long ago.)
Its called the snowball earth theory, you can google it. But there are actually quiet a few scientists who think is possible that the earth was once completely entombed in ice.

People talk now about the glaciers receding, yet 10,000 years ago there was plant life where now there is a kilometer of ice in Greenland. They do grow back.

I'm all for cleaning up our air and water, I just don't at all trust people like Al Gore who insist that the governments are to be our thermostat adjusters through our wallets.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Here is a graph showing global temperatures over the last 1000 years or so.

There were none of the supposed factors in 1200-1300 a.d. yet global temperatures were much higher than they are now.

Global temperature fluctuations are part of the norm.
Wow, post one temperature graph and you think you've completely debunked the whole global climate change issue? How about taking a fully integrated approach of combining and reviewing temperatures, levels of different compounds in the air, water temps, man-made/natural/and agricultural affects on pollution in the air/water, solar issues, etc...

When you only narrowly focus on one item, then you dont get the full picture. Of course attacking Gore is easier so I understand why some do it.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:38 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think people get too tied up in the whole global warming debate.

There are plenty of good reasons to want improved air quality and to preserve forests, habitat etc. without having to get into discussions around global warming.
Additionally, there is just more demand and a shrinking supply for fossil fuels so it's also in our economic interests to shift gradually in other directions.

Most peoples views on global warming tend to match thier political affiliation so I personally question that people really took the time to follow the issue or are just following their party line on the topic. (either direction).

Frankly, the earth IS warming (amazing how some people can't even admit to that).
Causes and the amount of contribution for each cause is less certain.
I find the evidence linking CO2 levels to temperature compelling....I do think some of the projections are rather iffy.

Additionally, I'm not sure global warming is inherently a terrible thing....the earth changes...things adapt....or not....that's life.

my sentiments exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies