Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this a racist thing to say?
Yes 20 25.64%
No 58 74.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Stupid. Yes. Racist.No.

Why is it stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 11:25 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If an Asian or black woman said, 'I want to marry a white man because I think mixed kids look better.'

(this is something my sister actually said).

Do you think this is a racist thing to say?

I think it's at least somewhat racist, since it's suggesting one race, albeit not your own, is superior...but then again, you could say thinking whites look better is just an opinion, or a preference, but it's at least a grey area, would you agree?

I see nothing wrong with intermarrying, but I'm just thinking about the reasoning behind it.
I think it is stupid and untrue.

It is stupid because I believe everyone regardless of what shade they are , whether very black, brown, tan or white can be beautiful.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is also a beauty from within that makes the outside more beautiful.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
i voted 'no' because i look at it as a subtle comment about genetics and the more unalike the gene pool of the parents the better the 'mix'. My sister, who is blond and very fair is married to a 1st-generation mexican american, made the same comment at some point about the kids they would have together. Granted both boys are unnaturally good looking but until they were about 6 months old they were literally the ugliest babies we'd ever seen. Little human troll dolls. We still loved them though.
lmao!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If an Asian or black woman said, 'I want to marry a white man because I think mixed kids look better.'

(this is something my sister actually said).

Do you think this is a racist thing to say?

I think it's at least somewhat racist, since it's suggesting one race, albeit not your own, is superior...but then again, you could say thinking whites look better is just an opinion, or a preference, but it's at least a grey area, would you agree?

I see nothing wrong with intermarrying, but I'm just thinking about the reasoning behind it.
The reasoning behind it?????????????????????????????????????????????
How about LOVE being the reason behind it. What a weird thing to wonder about. Do you think somehow that a visable minority is less lovable somehow? You question would lead one to believe that is indeed what you must think.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,379,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Biracial people do seem to have a proportionally high number of good looking people.

Not sure if it's racist, but it's certainly shallow and stupid to marry someone based on what your kids might look like.
This.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM

288 posts, read 283,232 times
Quote:
Which proves that the woman should be focusing on intelligence genes and not looks, but she's probably too stupid to realize that.

I agree with you, but think most of all people should be praying that their child comes out healthy. Everything else should be secondary, but that's just my opinion..

Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Biracial people do seem to have a proportionally high number of good looking people.

Not sure if it's racist, but it's certainly shallow and stupid to marry someone based on what your kids might look like.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Good Lord .. I just accused SF of being correct!

Under the circumstances it would be hard (If not impossible) to argue with the statement !

Rest assured though that it will never happen again!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Which makes marrying someone for the purpose of having good looking kids a stupid idea.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 PM

731 posts, read 1,578,871 times
In reply to the OP question, yes it is a racist thing to say. Racism meaning believing one race is superior over another. Being tall, having big boobs, is not being racist; but to say my kids will be better looking if I marry ----------(insert any race) like it or not, is a racist opinion. Good looking people come from all sources whether mixed or not. However, if I had married a green eyed mexican man.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies