Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it?
Yes 68 25.47%
No 199 74.53%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM

694 posts, read 745,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Agreed. Being anti-gay and homophobic are not necessariliy the same thing
Being against homosexual marriage is not the same as being anti-gay.

Charles Sands

Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
It does make you homophobic. I've already outlined the reasons why. It's your choice and your right to be homophobic. I will never deny a person that right. However, I will be vocal against it.

You never really answered how homosexual marriage affects you.
I am not the person to whom posted this, but I thought I would chime in. Why do you say that since some people (myself included) do not like homosexual marriage, in means we are afraid of them, which is what homophobia would mean? Also, homosexual marriage does not effect me directly, but society cannot allow all activities. Most people think this is one of them. Since the states determine who can and cannot marry, there you go.

Charles Sands

Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Being against homosexual marriage is not the same as being anti-gay.

Charles Sands

And being against black people using white fountains doesn't make one anti-black, either. Society cannot allow all activities. Most people in the south in the 60s agreed.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And being against black people using white fountains doesn't make one anti-black, either. Society cannot allow all activities. Most people in the south in the 60s agreed.
Laws had already been established to give equal treatment to blacks at the time all of this was going on. Someone cannot stop being black. With whom you have sex is not that way. I am not going to take action to stop homosexual sex, but I am not going to saction it. Saying YES to marriage is sactioning it.

Charles Sands

Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Laws had already been established to give equal treatment to blacks at the time all of this was going on. Someone cannot stop being black. With whom you have sex is not that way. I am not going to take action to stop homosexual sex, but I am not going to saction it. Saying YES to marriage is sactioning it.

Charles Sands

"The people" did not want these laws. Rogue judges started the ball rolling, and then Congress had to get involved. Even then, further court action was often necessary to get the gracious people of Dixie to desegregate schools, etc.

Black people can stop being black just as easily as gay people can stop being gay, or straight people can stop being straight.

You can be gay and never have sex, just as you can be straight and never have sex. The fact that you don't seem to grasp these fundamental concepts is troubling.

Ask yourself: What is it about freedom for other people causes you so much personal problems, that you can't agree to let others live and let live?

I don't "sanction" gun use, yet I'm OK with others doing it. I don't "sanction" smoking cigarettes, but if others want to, it's their business."

Old 09-02-2012, 12:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
I am not going to take action to stop homosexual sex, but I am not going to saction it. Saying YES to marriage is sactioning it.
And that's precisely why we are a constitutional republic and not a direct democracy. The Founding Fathers knew that "tyranny of the majority" could easily strip away the rights of the minority.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Honestly, one of the most homophobic people I know, supports gay marriage...why? He is a divorce attorney. He is literally, chomping at the bit, can't wait for gay marriage to pass. He is just seeing dollar signs. Tells jokes about how much money he will make.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Bigot? Ignorant? Hey bud, if the shoe fits, wear it PROUDLY. Stand up, publish your position! Don't let the homo agenda tell YOU what to do! Next thing you know they'll be forcing you to marry a dude!

People DEMAND you realize that this gay marriage debate is not a new debate. It's the SAME DEBATE that has plagued EVERY civil rights movement from women, to minorities, to children. People DEMANDING their rights as CITIZENS makes you "mad" or "uncomfortable" or "reactionary?"

TOUGH. If you're not going to afford gay people FULL rights, then perhaps a tax break in proportion to the value of the rights you withhold from them should be in order. Deal?

Your arguments are old. They are stale. They are the same. There is no "redefinition of marriage" at the personal or religious level .... nobody asks YOU to ACCEPT gay marriages personally, just as plenty of people are still against interracial marriages. Marriage is a CONTRACT. The rights and responsibilities of that contract DO NOT CHANGE. Only the parties that are allowed to enter into the contract change.

When women were finally allowed to contract and buy and hold property on their own, it didn't CHANGE the contracts they were now free to enter into. The "definition of a home sale" was STILL BE THE SAME.

But hey, dig your heels in, so you can be embarrassed by them tomorrow.... much like the people in photos shown screaming at little black girls trying to get to school. Or these people:

(BTW, your submariner argument is not on point at all. Not everyone SHOULD be a submariner. However, there is nothing about a person's race, religion, sex, sexuality, ethnicity that should ever automatically disqualify them from serving on a sub. To think otherwise is UNAMERICAN, and it's sad that so many of our self-reported ex service members on this board hold so many ideas that are PATENTLY anti-liberty and anti-freedom!)
Seriously? Who are you addressing with your bile. I never once stated what my position was, or how I felt. I simply stated that you should convince me when your ideas are different than mine, instead of beating me with a large blunt instrument and demand I see things your way.

But hey, infer whatever you want, because some people have such blind hatred of everyone else, they cannot even see the forest for the trees.

I never once said anything for or against, yet you assume I am against. You said "MY arguments are old... WHAT arguments?

I think you are whining at the wrong person. I was discussing how to address a disagreement. I said
Quote:
There are actually some people who do NOT want to change the definition of the term marriage, just to suit someone else. In fact don't you think it's a bit overbearing to insist that someone see's things the way YOU want? In fact, for a NUMBER of people I have spoken with, they don't insist, they demand.
The people I have spoken with are on BOTH sides of the argument.
As long as you are making demands and calling people names, nothing will ever change. And people like you who assume that posts like mine are negative to your beliefs, will ALWAYS do more harm than good.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Honestly, one of the most homophobic people I know, supports gay marriage...why? He is a divorce attorney. He is literally, chomping at the bit, can't wait for gay marriage to pass. He is just seeing dollar signs. Tells jokes about how much money he will make.
Doesn't he make enough off of the heterosexual marriages? 50% divorce rates, his business should be booming.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
LOL. I said many months back that I was in favor of allowing gay marriage. Heterosexual couples have been supporting the divorce lawyers long enough. It's time for gays to pay their fair share. Nice to see my joke about it had a grain of truth to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies