Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it?
Yes 68 25.47%
No 199 74.53%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times

Advertisements

Of course it doesn't. I hate when people tell me I'm a homophobe just because I believe gay marriage is spiritually wrong.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM

629 posts, read 946,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Actually, Matthew 19:9 gives the green light for remarriage if and only if the reason for the divorce was that the woman had been found guilty of fornication.
Actually, divorce itself is what gives the green light for remarriage. That is the reason divorce exists.

Matthew 19 states that divorce 1) is allowed, 2) itself was never divine intention 3) remarriage is probably adultery on some level no matter what, and 4) explicitly states that not everyone can accept items 2-3 and that the teaching is for those who can accept it.

Most people seem not to read that passage all the way through.

And, of course, if you're Jewish, the Bible doesn't include this passage.

Quote:
Either way, the question remains: Why have I not heard of at least one group that is rallying to get a law passed whereby people (or just men, if you prefer) who divorced their exes for reasons other than adultery are not eligible for remarriage? I mean, here you have the bible specifically forbidding remarriage, and there's no passion to fight for the laws to revolve around that.

But there is a fight to keep homosexuals from marrying, which is only reasonably associated with a "sin" explicitly forbidden in the bible. Hmmm Smells like prejudice to me...
Well, you know legislating other people's sins is always far more popular than legislating against your own. There actually has been a movement to make divorce more difficult, which was mostly abandoned. Something like half of all marriages end in divorce (religious people being no exception), and gays and lesbians are probably about some single digit percentage of the population.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
This is why I think religion and politics should be kept separate. Who friggin' cares whether or not divorce is spiritually correct? Sometimes it's just necessary.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Well, you know legislating other people's sins is always far more popular than legislating against your own. There actually has been a movement to make divorce more difficult, which was mostly abandoned. Something like half of all marriages end in divorce (religious people being no exception), and gays and lesbians are probably about some single digit percentage of the population.
You know what's ironic? There's evidence that one way to lower your state's divorce rate...

...is to legalize gay marriage

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM

629 posts, read 946,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
This is why I think religion and politics should be kept separate. Who friggin' cares whether or not divorce is spiritually correct? Sometimes it's just necessary.
I just get tired of hearing that it's divorce that the Bible condemns strongly rather than (male) gay sex. The Bible clearly allows divorce and clearly finds it less than ideal. So welcome to humanity!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
You know what's ironic? There's evidence that one way to lower your state's divorce rate...

...is to legalize gay marriage

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans
Did you know that amongst victims of accidental drowning there were more of those who can swim than those who can't?

Should we than ban all swimming lessons nationwide?

Statistics is a real b**ch

Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 PM

200 posts, read 165,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Your question has been answered already. Twice. That you obviously do not like or agree with my answer and position is most unfortunate and really too bad. Deal with it.

It's not that I agree or disagree, it's just stupid...that's all. Not anything for ME to deal with.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 PM

200 posts, read 165,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If anything, I feel there is a lot of religious bigotry on the part of gay marraige supporters. I know so many gay marriage supporters personally who would openly mock the Bible and say that it is "fake" and that "God doesn't exist". Some of them have stopped talking to me after they found out I participated in Chick fil A appreciation day.
Many gay marriage supporters openly mock people that decide to pick an choose which parts of the Bible to interpret and use a justification. Religious tolerance is one thing, as long as it doesn't affect the rights of others.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Did you know that amongst victims of accidental drowning there were more of those who can swim than those who can't?

Should we than ban all swimming lessons nationwide?

Statistics is a real b**ch
Well, unsupported claims sure are...

At any rate, to make your comparison, you'd have to also provide a study which has found that an increase in swimming lessons has led to an increase in accidental drownings, just as an increase in gay marriage bans has led to higher divorce rates. From the second link:

Quote:
Overall, the states which had enacted a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage as of 1/1/08 saw their divorce rates rise by 0.9 percent over the five-year interval. States which had not adopted a constitutional ban, on the other hand, experienced an 8.0 percent decline, on average, in their divorce rates.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Well, unsupported claims sure are...

At any rate, to make your comparison, you'd have to also provide a study which has found that an increase in swimming lessons has led to an increase in accidental drownings, just as an increase in gay marriage bans has led to higher divorce rates. From the second link:
Can you logically explain how a ban on same sex marriage could affect divorce rate among heterosexuals? That's nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies