Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it?
Yes 68 25.47%
No 199 74.53%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

Simple question, does voting against gay marriage make you a hateful, homophobe, as many accuse?

I'm actually generally for gay marriage but I think it's proponents use shaming language against anyone who doesn't 100% support what they demand, no matter how they actually treat homosexuals as people.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Simple question, does voting against gay marriage make you a hateful, homophobe, as many accuse?
No, I don't think so. It does mean that you don't value the founding principles of this country, or the constitution, but not hateful.

How could you vote to deny American citizens equal rights and still believe "all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness—That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men.”[LEFT]
OR
"Liberty, and justice for ALL"
OR
"No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Quote:
The 14th Amendment includes the word equality in Section 1, which prohibits a state government from denying “to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” This equal protection clause protects individuals from arbitrary discrimination by government officials. Federal courts have read the equal protection concept into their interpretation of the due process clause of the 5th Amendment, thereby applying the equal protection limitations to the federal government. Neither federal nor state governments may classify people in ways that violate their liberties or rights under the U.S. Constitution.
equality under the Constitution: Information from Answers.com
[/LEFT]

Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Yes, I think in this day and age that would be sufficient to designate a person as a homophobe, but I also think you can be homophobic to a certain extent without being hateful.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM

876 posts, read 708,578 times
Quote:

I'm actually generally for gay marriage but I think it's proponents use shaming language against anyone who doesn't 100% support what they demand, no matter how they actually treat homosexuals as people.
No, I don't think so. The term "homophobic" is a misnomer anyway. It litterally means: a fear of something similar. That isn't a good description. I would have thought they could come up with a better term. There are people that hate homosexuality, their are people that hate homosexuals, there are some that don't agree with it, but don't care if others participate, and there are people who simply don't understand them. There are different degrees of how people feel about homosexuality. To lump them in all together is faulty logic at best and hurtful to relations between homosexuals and heteros at worst.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Yes, I think in this day and age that would be sufficient to designate a person as a homophobe, but I also think you can be homophobic to a certain extent without being hateful.
Just as a homosexual is a heterophobe when they use discrimination against straight people as well.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,341 times
I'm also pro gay marriage, but do not consider those who don't agree w/gay marriage homophobes.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I'm also pro gay marriage, but do not consider those who don't agree w/gay marriage homophobes.
Agreed. Being anti-gay and homophobic are not necessariliy the same thing

Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,512 times
No - you can have all kinds of objections that are socially acceptable, such as religion, moral issues, etc. None of that make you a homophobe.

A homophobe is someone who has an irrational fear of homosexuals or, perhaps, the behavior that the person may associate with homosexuals.

Therefore, while such objections do not make you a homophobe, they certainly make you someone who does not understand the constitutional right of equality of ALL citizens.

You see, IF marriage was a purely religious contract, it would not be an issue to object. However, since government grands certain rights to married people it, consequently, now discriminates against some of its citizen who cannot achieve a situation where they can attain those rights. Their inability to achieve such a status is, then, purely based on an immutable trait: And the evidence that it is appears to be rather convincing to an increasing number of Americans. Since there is increasing evidence that homosexuality is, in fact, an immutable trait, a stance prohibiting homosexual marriage will, in the long run, not be legally viable. Especially since one of our founding principles is the separation of church and state.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say a homophobe, I'd say hateful, ignorant, and misguided. Not sure what actually makes that person worthy of respect when they try hurt the lives of other people over something that has absolutely zero effect on them.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I wouldn't say a homophobe, I'd say hateful, ignorant, and misguided. Not sure what actually makes that person worthy of respect when they try hurt the lives of other people over something that has absolutely zero effect on them.
Really? Hateful, ignorant, and misguided? That is a very large, broad brush you are painting there. I am a straight man, married, yet I am against gay marriage.

My best friend in the world is a lesbian. I hang out in gay bars all over the SF Bay Area with her. I go to all sorts of things, which are gay oriented and I am in no way homophobic. Nor am I hateful, ignorant, or misguided.

Oh by the way? My friend, the lesbian? She is against gay marriage too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.