Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Do you not understand demographics? We don't have a country of 310 million Canadians or 310 million Scandinavians. We have 310 million Americans with vastly different characteristics than any other country.

Gun laws in the US never prevented a death.

Do you really think registering a gun will stop a murder? And how many of the bad guys are lining up at city hall to register their guns?

Pathetic.

Do the math. If we eliminated ALL gun homicides in the US we would still have a higher homicide rate than the countries you referenced.
The dems can rig up a registry anytime they want.

Any politician today knows he won't be one tomorrow if he so much as mentions the 'g' word.... So in a way I hope before Nov a lot of dems try........

I'll be looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 04:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
My state has very relaxed gun laws. Basicly if your not a felon your good to go. We also have the lowest crime rate in the country.

Gun laws that may work are laws that affect criminals, as in increasing incarciration rates for felon in posession
Receiving/ posessionof a stolen firearm , using a gun in the commision of a crime. These are laws that legal gun owners would support.
I think Vt is even less and has as good gun law as NH or better.

Gun owners have always asked for stiffer laws for criminals who use a gun in a crime whether or not the gun was used, but the Democrats just can't stand to keep violent offenders locked up.

The more violent the crime the faster the offenders are released.

Gun owners asked that if a gun was used and it was the first offence that the criminal be held for the full term and that never happens either, and the result is we have violent offenders going to prison for their 6th to 12th times.

There can be no excuse for these early paroles. It's the system we don't need any more laws.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 08-31-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
If people owning guns protects them so much, give me one example of a country where the violent crime rate against innocent civilians increased significantly after gun laws were tightened. I will concede liberalizing gun laws alone don't increase crime rates, but i will confidently say they make those mass shootings and random gang violence less common.

The attitude towards guns in the US comes straight out of a wild west movie. Or the arms buildup of the cold war.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If people owning guns protects them so much, give me one example of a country where the violent crime rate against innocent civilians increased significantly after gun laws were tightened. I will concede liberalizing gun laws alone don't increase crime rates, but i will confidently say they make those mass shootings and random gang violence less common.

The attitude towards guns in the US comes straight out of a wild west movie. Or the arms buildup of the cold war.
Both England and Australia had increases in violent crime after they banned firearms.

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

Quote:
Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women

Old 08-31-2012, 05:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Wink Gun control means never having to say "I missed you".

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

However, gun violence disproportionately effects a small segment of the population. Blacks represent half of all homicide victims in America despite being only 12% of the overall U.S. population. .............

Gun violence disproportionately effects poor communities of color in urbanized areas. But the level that gun violence effects these communities is appalling. ..........................

Is there any gun control measure that would effectively curb gun violence in America? Or is gun violence merely a symptom of the bigger problem of poor minorities from Black to Latinos to Asians (see California for the latter) competing for a steady cash flow through the coveted scrounged up daily dollars of dope fiends and gang warfare because of the extreme lack of good jobs in America. ...............................Thoughts?
There is no "gun violence" only violent people. The tool is not important.

Violence is a symptom of a society which disregards the sanctity and God given right to life. People who respect life and individual liberty do not commit murder.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
^ Sorry I should have said murder, not violent crime. Even the article you linked said murder rates in both Oz and the US have decreased from 1995 to 2007. Even pre 1997 the laws in Oz were considerably more restrictive than in the States. I'm not saying guns alone cause the US murder rate to be 3-4 times higher than Australia's, there's also the culture, but as per my original point, guns make random, grisly acts of mass murder etc commoner, and having guns has never made anywhere SAFER.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Both England and Australia had increases in violent crime after they banned firearms.

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN
There is no gun ban in Australia or England, they just don't let any yahoos run around with guns whenever the feel like it.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Look at Kennesaw Georgia, which requires every head of household to be armed, and have ammo.

One of the LOWEST violent crime rates in the U.S., and ZERO murders for over 25 years.

Once you actually research Kennesaw Georgia, then tell me guns create violence, and I will listen.
It also needs to be said that Kennesaw is a suburb of Atlanta, yet the crime doesn't spill into Kennesaw. Why? Criminals KNOW that the people of Kennesaw are armed.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
That's true, currently. Again, what do Canada and Europe have that keeps gun ownership and use so low?
Lets see....

~ They respect the law

~ They respect their country

~ They respect their fellow citizens

~ They don't think they were dissed if someone looks at them the wrong way

~ They don't think sneakers are worth killing over

~ They work hard and don't have time to hang out on the corner defending their hood

~ They don't think it's cool to hold up their pants with one hand while clutching their .45 in the other hand

Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There is no "gun violence" only violent people. The tool is not important.

Violence is a symptom of a society which disregards the sanctity and God given right to life. People who respect life and individual liberty do not commit murder.
"Gun violence" is really poor terminology. The gun is just one link in a long chain of underlying factors. Consider the impact of drug laws for example. Drug gangs get in shootouts all the time. During the 1920's 'beer gangs' were often in shootouts. Now that beer is legal, when was the last time you heard about a Budweiser and Coors employees getting into a shootout over beer?

So if we wanted, we could call it 'drug law violence' instead, but of course we don't do that. Or we could call it 'cartridge violence' since really the gun is just a dispenser, and the core of firearms technolgy lies in the cartridge, not the gun. But we don't do that either.

Also ever notice that the writers who use "gun violence" never also talk about "fists and feet violence" even though deaths from fist and feet are far more common, for example, than deaths from so-called assault rifles?

Why do so many writers take one link in the chain and focus all attention on that one link? It's a deliberate attempt to create a distorted picture and to induce people to think inaccurately, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies