Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with the word b/c at its core, it's a meaningless expression of something that depends on the user. When it's used offensively it means "I'm trying to say something to make you angry." When it's used generically or congenially, it's just another way of describing someone. This idea that b/c it was used offensively in the past, it can't be used positively today is not something I follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
It's a bit weird to me, especially when non-blacks use it. Not that I think blacks "own" the word but it's just strange. I wouldn't go up to my white friends and say "What's up, slant?"

IDK, I generally don't like it. I prefer to good old fashioned "dude" or "bro" or "man."

Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Jarring?

Seriously? A word effects you that much?

It is only a word people. Get over it.

It's like the dreaded "F" word. Some people act like if their children hear it, the word is over. Again, get over it. They are mere words.

I agree with this.

Though I did not grow up in a family that used the N word often, I have heard it used over the course of my whole life by different people, mostly black people (I am black as well). I have never been called one to my face by a white person, just on the phone when they could call me a N*gger b*tch and hang up the phone LOL! That happened often when I worked for a bank and didn't give people a refund for overdraft fees. I just thought it was funny and was out of frustration, them trying to make me as mad as they were, but it didn't work. I'd laugh about it because stuff like that is funny to me.

I have used it before. Not a whole lot, but for me it is just a word. No matter who says it to me, it really doesn't bother me at all. Like above, I see it as "just a word."

Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times
Default This is still America.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So this is going to be a bit of a rant.

I am in my black woman in my early-30s. Growing up the n-word went from a racial slur, to something that is used by certain types of people as almost a term of endearment.

I just thought it was completely silly. I don't use it in any context. But as I am getting older, I find it to be more commonly used by a wide range of people. It used to be a "lower class" word. And these days it has moved up the food chain to middle class kids. And non-blacks!

I about had a heart attack when I friended my coworker on facebook and found out that he and his other south asian and Filipino friends called each other the n-word. (He is Indian).

My sister had a similar experience with a Puerto Rican co-worker and called her on it (it was a different situation, since she was one of the authorized posters on her company's facebook account, and it could have been seen as offensive in the broader community). She was later un-friended by that woman.

This for me causes a huge generation gap with the 20-somethings. I guess their parents are a little too far removed from it being a racial slur. I have no idea. I cringe when I hear anyone say it. I find it offensive whether it ends with "er", "a" or is remixed into "w*gga" or "w*gger"

What do you guys think?
....we have a choice....forget about it or automatically play it over and over in our heads. I find that somethings for me I don't think about, especially things that are not nice.

NICE works like this if a word offends you, I will not use it. Those who want to be offensive will use it.

When someone is offensive I ignore them....If they break the law I try to help lock them up.

Last edited by bluescityleon; 08-31-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: forgot some thin'

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It will always be a big deal for me. I am not into this trend of "reclaiming" offensive terms and slurs.

Most of my friends are in my camp.
I agree with you. Words are only words and nothing else but all the same............

Words can't be used as you note, terms of endearment and not be picked up by others. IMO if it's acceptable to call people this then it's acceptable to call people this.

I won't argue that it doesn't come across as more offensive from some but you can't just toss it around and get upset when others do the same.

It reads to me like you are taking a principled position here that it is wrong, no matter what and I always respect a principled position.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Jarring?

Seriously? A word effects you that much?

It is only a word people. Get over it.

It's like the dreaded "F" word. Some people act like if their children hear it, the word is over. Again, get over it. They are mere words.

I'll bet I could say words to you that would offend you.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Totally agree with the OP.

The thing about that word - it is extremely useful for liberals.

On the one hand it's safe - friends use it among among themselves - no big deal.

On the other hand - if the wrong person uses it - BAM - it becomes a weapon of mass destruction for liberals when they want to bring down a political enemy.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
It's typical word reclamation is all. My friends and i will call each other b*tches or hoes as a joke, but the word means something different in the context of us using it rather then someone saying it to offend.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times
It's just a word to me and I've used it before(not much) when with certain friends(not calling them that word in particular but referring to someone else). But I understand why it upsets you.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It's typical word reclamation is all. My friends and i will call each other b*tches or hoes as a joke, but the word means something different in the context of us using it rather then someone saying it to offend.
Yeah my friends and I do the same things. We don't do as much anymore, but in high school and college we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies