Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,594,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Depends on who's doing the counting. Many Argentines of full Italian family but are just as "Hispanic" as a Spaniard in Spain. But the "Italian" American cousins of those Argentines in the US are anglo white, NOT Hispanic.
i am familiar with white latinos, i am one. and why is the argentine considered hispanic while the guido is not? spanish speaking origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,162,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i am familiar with white latinos, i am one. and why is the argentine considered hispanic while the guido is not? spanish speaking origin.
Yep, and it's a pretty broad brush. They're pretty much treated as a monoblock group here by the political class and the "mainstream press" that serves their interests.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,851,204 times
Quote:
Italy ain't Spain; different languages. An "Italian" from Argentina IS Hispanic.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 AM

2,923 posts, read 5,594,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Italy ain't Spain; different languages. An "Italian" from Argentina IS Hispanic.
why you keep on bringing up italians from argentina? dude, i am a german, blonde haired blue eyed guy from mexico. i am aware of white latino, I AM ONE.

if yer from a spanish speaking country in the US yer, hispanic. that simple. nothing to do with race.

not that any of it matters, argentina, USA, mexico, etc all suck. hate all those countries.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 AM

29,987 posts, read 18,561,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What's your opinion of the proposed changes to the census for how to count Latinos?
They must be very fast.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,536,408 times
Quote:
isnt hispanic = spanish speaking origin?
Sort of. However someone who never spoke a word of Spanish and whose parents never spoke a word of Spanish is also considered to be a hispanic. A Mayan Indian from Guatemala who just crossed the border who speaks no Spanish is a hispanic, but people from Spain generally would not say they are hispanic but European even if they speak Spanish.

People from Spain wouldn't see how speaking Spanish makes them a separate race category from French or Italians or Germans. Not eveyone from Spain for example would be incapable of ever learning English or would have more trouble than someone from Italy.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,536,408 times
Quote:
isnt hispanic = spanish speaking origin?
But why would having Spanish speaking ancestors make you a separate category but having Polish or French or Italian speaking ancestors would not? Wouldn't people of Spain be as European as anyone else in Europe? Greeks are considered white -- and do not have a separate language-racial category on the census -- Russians have a different language background as well as Germans, Swedes and so on. Why would only. What's the point in making language of ancestors some separate racial category?

Someone whose English speaking family has lived in the USA since 1900 but originated in Mexico has to be in some special language category, but someone who just arrived from Russia or Greece and cannot speak English just jumps into the box for whites? Does that make sense?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,570,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Latino or Hispanic is not a race. If we are to make new race catagories then they need to be Mestizo for anyone who is of mixed white European (Spanish) and native indian.
But not all Latinos fit that category......

Old 09-01-2012, 06:31 AM

62,685 posts, read 28,868,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What a load of crap! Considering the people who use most Govermental programs are whites! When the Census created the category for "hispanics or Latinos" in the early 1970s there really weren't many of us to begin. As the population grew they started making sub categories. The only thing that ties hispanics together is language because even culture varies rom ine hispanic group to another.
If the Census wants to keep redifining more sub groups in the US I really don't see what the the problem is.
Wrong! In proportion to their numbers Hispanics use more welfare type programs than any others.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:34 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,834,689 times
Why Are Latinos Difficult To Count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What's your opinion of the proposed changes to the census for how to count Latinos?
As I get more confused trying to follow this thread, I appreciate the original question. With each passing generation it will become both more difficult and pointless to try.

In fact it would be great if some day this country stops counting all ethnic and racial groups.

At least I hope so..."some day"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies