Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
He has that right. Get over it. You don't have an inherent right to pollute. Freedom is not an absolute. You can't poop in the water supply. You can't walk around naked in public. You can't built a plutonium plant in your backyard. And if the president of the United States states that you have to buy cars that adhere to certain environmental standards you will have to buy cars that meet those standards.

I love this initiative. It's one of the few Obama's shown any guts on. Why do you conservatives hate clean air and water so much anyway?

Or labor under the delusion that jobs and a pleasant planet are impossible together?
You know if he wants the air to be cleaner why doesn't the president mandate 100 miles per gallon. He wants dirty air that's why.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Both democrat and republican presidents have added cabinet depts. The size and scope of government is out of control. It needs to be cut down to size. I don't need the government telling me what to eat, what toilet paper to use, what light bulbs to buy, what kind of car I can drive, what healthcare decisions I can make. Do you people realize you are giving up your freedom a little at a time.
So you would rather eat unsafe food, use toilet paper that clogs up your toilet, buy light bulbs that don't work, drive cars that are unsafe and drop dead if you can't afford health care?

You want that kind of freedom? Move to China. They have dead infants because the greedy got away with selling poisoned baby formula and had no government to stop them.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
You are kidding right. Mandating requirements in not encouraging, it is dictating.
You must of been pissed at that dictator Bush when he created the Patriot Act.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
You know if he wants the air to be cleaner why doesn't the president mandate 100 miles per gallon. He wants dirty air that's why.
He does things just to annoy you personally, obviously. You have no idea what the word dictator means.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Like we don't have enough regulations to protect the air and water? And the dept of Agriculture checks like .1% of food. mmmm Now I feel safe.
You think the checks make the difference? Or the fear of being checked. Fear is a valuable tool.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
I don't want a president to dictate to me what kind of car I can drive. I don't want a tiny car that is made out of plastic so it can get better mileage. I am a big man and I am more concerned about safety. If you treehuggers want these cars than there will be a demand to build them. We don't need a dictator to force us to buy them. As far as gas prices, we should be developing all of our fossil fuels to lower prices. I especially would like to see natural gas in vehicles.
Strongly disagree. We should be developing our technology to entirely eliminate the need for fossil fuels.

We should also be assisting students to become educated so that new technolgies can be developed. In addition to solar and wind, we have an inexhaustible supply of ocean currents and geothermal heat. All we need to do is harness them, and they will provide us with clean power forever and generate millions of jobs.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually every vehicle should be getting over 40+ miles to the gallon, even the big ones riko want to drive....my guess is riko doesn't understand what the word "dictator" means, or he is still upset over the government taking lead out of gas.
And the reality is that there is absolutely no reason why ginormous vehicles can't get good gas mileage nor is there any reason to believe that they won't. If the market demands it, the demand will be met.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
If the president has the right to direct every cabinet dept. to do anything he wants I guess we don't need congress. We don't need a budget from them either! Nothing contrary here? And nothing wrong with the cabinet heads making policy either, like forcing the Catholic Church to provide contraceptives.
You do know that there were only four cabinet depts when the constitution was written. The additional cabinet depts. is one of the biggest reasons we have so much debt that will destroy us.
It is boondoggles like the TSA and the DEA and the pentagon budget that will bankrupt us, and produce nothing of any value to show for the expenditure.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Both democrat and republican presidents have added cabinet depts. The size and scope of government is out of control. It needs to be cut down to size. I don't need the government telling me what to eat, what toilet paper to use, what light bulbs to buy, what kind of car I can drive, what healthcare decisions I can make. Do you people realize you are giving up your freedom a little at a time.
We need to pass a Patriot Act so that we can give it all up at once.

What...? Really...?

Never mind.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Yes forcing industry to comply with impossible standards will really make us competitive in the world. Like there are not enough clean air and water regulations already?
They are not impossible, the fact is the technology already exists. As I said read more, learn about the topics you find important, heck simply use Google and make sure you read more than only what supports your personal ideas, information enlightens a person and widens their POV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies