Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you had read my original post you would have noted:
"Now I'll be the first to say, that all three of those companies provide great job opportunities for kids looking for a job, but they the kind of jobs that can sustain a thriving middle class?"
We do need more manufacturing here. I can't change time and stop NAFTA. Realistically, many of these jobs employ the very people who need them, as has been pointed out by a few posters in this thread. My point is that the focus is unnecessarily put on the burger-flipping position as if it has no value. It's not the only opportunity these businesses provide, nor is "burger-flipping" the only skill one masters when taking such a position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you had read my original post you would have noted:
"Now I'll be the first to say, that all three of those companies provide great job opportunities for kids looking for a job, but they the kind of jobs that can sustain a thriving middle class?"
You are asking the right questions, but you are wrong in assigning blame. Do you blame a third party for a person being swept away by a tidal wave? Do you persist in advocating for better swimming instruction?

We are in a period of global competition and shifting world economies. Sorry----you won't even be able to maintain a middle class with 30$-an-hour bolt tighteners at Government Motors, no matter how powerful your unions are (and no matter how sympathetic a president you have).

One answer is to promote new industry development through small-business-friendly policies. They may provide the niche products and technologies that help us to gain exports and gain net national income.

But 12 million more burger flippers (even for the short term) is better than zero job growth.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Obama aspires to be the hamburger flipping job President. As my brother said, if you want a job, vote for Romney and you might get one. If you want a welfare check, vote for Obama and you might get it.
Exactly. The libs don't fully get it. If you take money from people who work and give it to those who don't, then there is LESS money for those who work to create jobs. Supporting the lazy helps no one and gives those of us who work hard less money to spend which creates less demand for hiring.

Apparently this country needs more burger flippers and retail clerks seems how the youth unemployment rate is like 50% in many areas. These are jobs the youth need to develop skills and save for college. This country also needs good jobs in energy, healthcare, education, and manufacturing for those of us who want a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies