U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM

31,367 posts, read 35,098,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is similar stories from the hard coal mining area, do some research on the Molly Maguires. Besides the murders/executions do you have any idea how many men/boys were killed in these mines? Tens of thousands. This site only lists the major ones and doesn't list the common fatalities that happened on a daily basis:
Ah, I've never been one to denigrate the conditions of other ethnic groups so I don't feel a great need to restudy or re-research something that I am quite familiar with which is why I don't make ridiculous comments like "slaves were too valuable blah, blah, blah. But thanks for the offer.

By the way, I assume you are familiar with African slave labor in the southern coal mines throughout the south and a major segment of the mining industry well into the 20th century and played no small part in the organization of the UMW. But you knew that.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 AM

57,038 posts, read 32,731,686 times
Quote:
Exactly, while freedom is more important poor white immigrants were treated far worse than most slaves because they were considered expendable. They weren't property and there is no capital investment in them.

While you can argue white immigrants enjoyed freedom the fact of the matter is they had to work under some very hard conditions or die hence the reason so many kids were employed in the mines. In these mining towns the mining company owned everything; housing, the stores, the land. They were paid enough wages to just keep them in perpetual debt. The common story is the man of the house dies in a mining accident and the widow finds him on the front porch of the company owned house with an eviction notice and a final bill from the company store.
Why are you guys always trying to turn everything into an us vs. them thing.....always talking about who was treated the worse.

White immigrants didn't have to come here, and moreover, could've simply went back home if the treatment was so inhumane. Slaves couldn't even leave their plantations without papers.

Don't be stupid.

Bottom line, EVERYONE had a hand in building the country. Why not just leave it at that?

Damn...some people, i swear.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:54 AM

57,038 posts, read 32,731,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, I've never been one to denigrate the conditions of other ethnic groups so I don't feel a great need to restudy or re-research something that I am quite familiar with which is why I don't make ridiculous comments like "slaves were too valuable blah, blah, blah. But thanks for the offer.

By the way, I assume you are familiar with African slave labor in the southern coal mines throughout the south and a major segment of the mining industry well into the 20th century and played no small part in the organization of the UMW. But you knew that.
He knew that like i know quantum physics. lol

No, he DOESN'T WANT to know that, is more like it.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 AM

41,816 posts, read 47,454,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That's fine. The point remains, besides the utterly ridiculous assertion that slaves were too valuable to be used for "dangerous work" the fact is that slavery was on the wane well before construction began on the canal. And by the way, as you pointed out, children did work in that era.

I think you're missing the point, a slave was a capital investment. If you abuse your investment it loses value, if your salve dies you've lost your investment. For immigrant workers this isn't the case, if the worker dies or gets maimed the mine owner has lost nothing and just hires one of the other ten guys lined up to take his job.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM

41,816 posts, read 47,454,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why are you guys always trying to turn everything into an us vs. them thing.....always talking about who was treated the worse.
I haven't started this topic nor would I.

Quote:
Bottom line, EVERYONE had a hand in building the country. Why not just leave it at that?
Sounds like a plan but I would suggest you direct your comments to the OP.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Status: "Why? Because Globalism Requires National Disunity!" (set 17 days ago)

36,572 posts, read 23,907,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nope..no race baiting here...............

My Irish and German ancestors had nothing to do with it?

FTR...Detroit, as it exists today, was built by blacks.

Construction started in 1968.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM

4,493 posts, read 7,160,203 times
Quote:
I think you're missing the point, a slave was a capital investment. If you abuse your investment it loses value, if your salve dies you've lost your investment. For immigrant workers this isn't the case, if the worker dies or gets maimed the mine owner has lost nothing and just hires one of the other ten guys lined up to take his job.
You never heard of the "slave to debt" scam that was pulled over on many immigrants, have you?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My Irish and German ancestors had nothing to do with it?

FTR...Detroit, as it exists today, was built by blacks.

Construction started in 1968.

Wow, what a statement of contempt!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
wow you do really think like the democrats!!!! there are plenty of black republicans, so yes they did had a great part.

OOooohhhh----kaaaaay!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:25 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,002,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Wow, what a statement of contempt!
Well, detroit being such a garden spot and all.........

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.