U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 PM

44,877 posts, read 31,514,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
This thread was in response to the newly-born republican mantra of "we built America" or something to that effect which comes off as some supposed captains of industry would spout. It also reeks of aristocracy.
I guess you don't know that those words came about because of the "You didn't build that" statement by
The One, Barack Obama. He said those words and the Dems have been working their tails off for sometime trying to walk them back. The Republicans would have been stupid to leave him alone and not come back some way and this was as good as any, since they were referring to small businesses just as he tried to do.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM

77,804 posts, read 96,875,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

Discuss......true or not?!
who ever claimed Republicans built America? I guess I missed that one. Don't you know it takes a village to raise a child, thus it takes a lot of individuals to build a business and a country.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 PM

30,480 posts, read 15,303,088 times
Since Obama got into office I keep hearing some dividing things such as this.. the blacks built America.. that may be so but there were a heck of alot of others who built it too .And guess what we all live in America .

Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,726,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I could see the south having ended up a slave based system with white slaves just as easy if there was no alternative.
Interesting perspective; coming from the union laden world of Southeast Michigan, Detroit, where labor was respected, the Southern culture of Colorado was a shock to me such that soon after arriving I began describing it as a slave culture but came to realize that I was experiencing the closest thing to capitalism that I had ever known.

I've come to believe that slavery is simply the natural, civilized state of man.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 09-01-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM

31,367 posts, read 35,178,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Little trivia: the average black slave in America lived to be 40 while the Irish catholic in Ireland had 20 years age life expectancy.
LINK!

Never mind.
Recent historical research has largely confirmed the abolitionist indictment of slavery... Infants and children were badly malnourished... Squalid living conditions aggravated health problems... We now know that slaves suffered extremely high mortality. Half of all slave infants died during their first year of life, twice the rate of white babies... [The slave death rate] remained twice the white rate through age 14. As a result of this high infant and childhood death rate, the average life expectancy of a slave at birth was just 21 or 22 years, compared to 40 to 43 years for antebellum whites. Compared to whites, relatively few slaves lived into old age. Between 1830 and 1860, only 10 percent of U.S. slaves were over 50 years old.
1856 - Health and medicine

Digital History

Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 PM

4,493 posts, read 7,170,257 times
The title of the thread is what you would call or refer to as being tongue in cheek.

It is in response to the dysfunctional rectum-holes that make up the republican party in lieu over the POTUS word's of "you didn't build that", or something to that effect. Quite a few unsuspecting xenophobes, to say the least...wasn't expecting that.

I tend to forget that there are people out there that may be lacking a chromosome or two, or even maybe just had a recent lobotomy. Forgive my gullible ignorance in humanity....

Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,248,903 times
Not everything is on the Internet.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:48 PM

30,480 posts, read 15,303,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm black and I'm Irish. There's really no comparison to the two's struggles. I wouldn't say that the Irish had it far worse though. That's pretty far from the truth.

Some history on Irish and Black slavery. They share a history .

» The Irish Slave Trade

Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 PM

44,877 posts, read 31,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Since Obama got into office I keep hearing some dividing things such as this.. the blacks built America.. that may be so but there were a heck of alot of others who built it too .And guess what we all live in America .
I have been researching much of the truth about who built this nation and think I may have found who have been the real builders since about 1920. It seems that the real "Iron walkers" have been largely Mohawk Indians from the New York and Canada areas. Here is an article about what the Mohawks called "booming out" since they became the major source of "iron walkers" an so many projects as the cities built up from their centers. It is interesting to read about that group and the fact that they even went to California to build the Golden Gate. I don't think, after reading about them, that many of our taller buildings and other sites would have been built with the precision they were without those Mohawks.

Many think that the Mohawks are immune to fear when working in those high places. The one that wrote this link for Smithsonian says that they aren't fearless, they just adapt to the fear better than others. Interesting reading.

Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service - About the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service's mission, history, and goals.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:14 PM

14,545 posts, read 19,969,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Some history on Irish and Black slavery. They share a history .

» The Irish Slave Trade
Can't get it to quote but it should be said in many places, and the last few paragraphs especially. Why don't we see this in the history books and discussed in class and instead of talking about slavery as exculsively *black* be real and show that was only a later development. When a country goes from one million five hundred to six hundred thousand its, many of them hauled away as slaves, its as much a genocide as any modern one.

Not so fond of the site, but this is a very good article.

I think if we could allow ourselves to embrase the idea that forced labor was not based on race but exploitation of the poor and unwanted of any source maybe we could calm the flames a little. The people who had been held as labor who were white remained as a class seen as demeaning so they didn't win either. If we could see it as *human* it would be a far better thing for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.