Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

All I know is this:

For all the big talk around here about who built what (mostly a bunch of foolishness featuring people trying to exalt their own ancestors) NONE OF YOU FOLKS HERE ON C-D HAVE BUILT A DAMN THING!!!!

We're all a bunch of recipients benefiting off of the hard work of people that are since LONG DEAD!

So please, come off of your high horses with the self congratulatory nonsense and misplaced sense of accomplishment.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All I know is this:

For all the big talk around here about who built what (mostly a bunch of foolishness featuring people trying to exalt their own ancestors) NONE OF YOU FOLKS HERE ON C-D HAVE BUILT A DAMN THING!!!!

We're all a bunch of recipients benefiting off of the hard work of people that are since LONG DEAD!

So please, come off of your high horses with the self congratulatory nonsense and misplaced sense of accomplishment.
You are starting to sound like Obama when it is obvious he is losing a debate. Hang in there, though.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
All I know is this:

I thought this thread was about the blacks as the only ones who build this country. They just say that many put blood sweat and their lives to build this country and many are still doing just that today.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh for god's sake don't play into the daily racial troll thread.

There were all sorts of Europeans who were exploited as indentured servants and tenant farmers. Many of whom worked side by side in the same fields with their African slave brothers and sisters.

African Americans didn't build America, but we sure as hell put in more than our share.
Now that's a true statement!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
All I know is this: NONE OF YOU FOLKS HERE ON C-D HAVE BUILT A DAMN THING!!!!
That's not true - I built a sling shot one time. Of course I broke a couple of windows - but hell that created jobs so I could say that I have my share of contribution to the infrastructure and employment of this Great Nation.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Ah Shucks 12% of the population built America while the other 88% sat around sipping iced tea served to them by the 12%, ain't ever gonna believe that garbage I know my families history when they sailed here in steerage long after slavery was ended as trash and overcame it and winded up on top. takes work and work and more work to make it. The Italians were treated like crap and still succeeded cause that's what they are and were more than the 12% looser left behind cry babies

Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Republicans built America? Nonsense! -- It was built by the blacks!

Definitely not so. This country was built by the sweat of many different people of many nationalities. To say the blacks built America is a farce to say the least.
I agree you can't point to one group of people and say unequivocally "They built America".

Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
Yes, it was built on the back of Black Slaves. Why is everyone denying this?

Only AFTER Slavery was abolished, that Immigrants were exploited.

If Slavery wasn't abolished, I'm sure most of you wouldnt be here.
You can't be serious. Lots of people came in the 17th to 19th century as indentured servants. They entered into contracts to pay for their passage to the new world. They endured harsh conditions, but at least at the end of their contract they got a small piece of land usually.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
According to my source the irish had a lot to do with it. Naturally, they were paid poorly.
Seriously?

The steel workers who built the Empire State Building were mostly Mohawk Indians from Canada. There might have been some other nationalities on the girders, but...

Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service - About the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service's mission, history, and goals.

Quote:
Working in New York City since the 1920s, these brave and skilled ironworkers built the city’s most prominent landmarks, including the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the George Washington Bridge, and the World Trade Center.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 AM

127 posts, read 198,316 times
It was built by the people who bet their entire property and lives to live in a new world where they were not sure whether or not they would even make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies