Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Wow, what a statement of contempt!

Oh, for sure.

My Irish ancestors worked in the auto plants and my German grandfather was an electrician.

How they are excluded from having participated in the construction of the America we know is beyond me.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 PM

464 posts, read 479,348 times
Yes, it was built on the back of Black Slaves. Why is everyone denying this?

Only AFTER Slavery was abolished, that Immigrants were exploited.

If Slavery wasn't abolished, I'm sure most of you wouldnt be here.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

Discuss......true or not?!

maybe this subject should be discussed in the debate forum.
I disagree with you on your title thread.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Black people are Republicans.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well, detroit being such a garden spot and all.........
"We built this city..."

Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
This is about one of the dumbest things I have read on this MB!
Not all that dumb. Blacks did most of the pre civil war building and certainly the majority of the large farm work.. But much time has passed since then, when more and more immigrants came to America ...the irish, Italians pretty much built back east, the Germans started Texas build up, Asians were in Calif. the truth being, that all Americans built this country.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
Only AFTER Slavery was abolished, that Immigrants were exploited.
Oh for god's sake don't play into the daily racial troll thread.

There were all sorts of Europeans who were exploited as indentured servants and tenant farmers. Many of whom worked side by side in the same fields with their African slave brothers and sisters.

African Americans didn't build America, but we sure as hell put in more than our share.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My Irish and German ancestors had nothing to do with it?

FTR...Detroit, as it exists today, was built by blacks.

Construction started in 1968.
That's a tough argument to make when you consider that African-Americans in Detroit were corralled into a section of the city, denied representation, denied an education, and were preyed upon by the law. Due to slavery, there was no philosophical foundation for self rule; and America's efforts to maintain the status quo ensured that that state remained.

Today, as our dollar is crumbling and white people continue to chase their collective tail for hand-outs from the government via Social Security, Obamacare (sanctified by Roberts), and any program that can be called "for the children," the credit cards that have maintained the patina of white supremacy are soon to fail.

It wasn't a race that built this country; it was a work ethic of the poor and a value set of the upper class. Today, your supreme race is grasping for jobs like a fat kid gripping an ice cream cone: they're slipping away but you're too myopic to see the solution: opening the border and letting the new builders displace you.

Those ruins to which you refer extend into the wealthy areas of Michigan.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 09-01-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Exactly, while freedom is more important poor white immigrants were treated far worse than most slaves because they were considered expendable. They weren't property and there is no capital investment in them.

While you can argue white immigrants enjoyed freedom the fact of the matter is they had to work under some very hard conditions or die hence the reason so many kids were employed in the mines. In these mining towns the mining company owned everything; housing, the stores, the land. They were paid enough wages to just keep them in perpetual debt. The common story is the man of the house dies in a mining accident and the widow finds him on the front porch of the company owned house with an eviction notice and a final bill from the company store.
I'm black and I'm Irish. There's really no comparison to the two's struggles. I wouldn't say that the Irish had it far worse though. That's pretty far from the truth.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh for god's sake don't play into the daily racial troll thread.

There were all sorts of Europeans who were exploited while working alongside our African American slaves in the same fields.

African Americans didn't build America, but we sure as hell did our part and more.
This thread was in response to the newly-born republican mantra of "we built America" or something to that effect which comes off as some supposed captains of industry would spout. It also reeks of aristocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies