Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,351,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, you can stop wondering. The LDS Church has no desire to force its health policies on the rest of the popuation.
Unlike the DNC Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You guess wrong. I don't think that the Holocaust is something to make light of.

And the fact that the Mormon Church decides these things, it's a religious choice, not just a health choice.
OK so If I attacked your Religious choice of lack there of I would be the bad guy.......

Old 09-01-2012, 04:15 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,592,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK so If I attacked your Religious choice of lack there of I would be the bad guy.......
I'm Catholic. You must have missed the part where I equated this to not eating meat on Fridays during Lent.

But could you provide me with links where the Catholic Church and a Catholic university came out to clarify a church teaching for Catholics, so as to benefit a Catholic candidate? I'd love to see those.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,209,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, that sounds like his own interpretation of the rule. The "Word of Wisdom" prohibits "hot drinks." That has, for over 150 years, been officially interpreted as "coffee and tea." Many Mormons drink caffeinated sodas because they are not prohibited. I suppose someone could argue that "cold coffee and tea" are permitted, but that would technically be in conflict with the official stance of the Church.
Apparently its the interpretation of his local church. All I know is he was bouncing off walls by the end of the con. Thata a LOT of sodas... (the usual is the parties provide them free and the consuite as well so you can dring as many as you want without it costing a fortune).

Old 09-01-2012, 04:19 PM

27,997 posts, read 29,828,594 times
Quote:
But could you provide me with links where the Catholic Church and a Catholic university came out to clarify a church teaching for Catholics, so as to benefit a Catholic candidate? I'd love to see those.
What? The LDS Church has "clarified" its position on caffeine so many times the rest of us have lost count. Perhaps you just tuned in late.

Incidentally, the LDS Church is going to be in the news a lot during the next few months, and Church officials are going to be asked to comment on every conceivable doctrine. If they answer, "Sorry, no comment," they're being secretive and uncooperative. If they issue a statement, they're doing so "to benefit Romney." Maybe you'd be so kind as to contact Church headquarters with your advice on how they should respond to the topic of Mormonism when it comes up from here on out, because it seems to me as if we're kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-01-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,493,311 times
Maybe he's gonna be sponsored by Coke and will be seen taking the obligatory sip, like NASCAR drivers do when being interviewed.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,959,022 times
Hmnn - just remembered a quote by a federal judge who was working in Utah - he said something along the lines of "I don't care if you are under the influence of LSD or LDS - both make you crazy" (I am paraphrasing because I don't have the book that contains the quote with me).

Ah - I found it - Judge Willis Ritter said this:

"No, no, Mr. Rhodes," Ritter said, "that's enough for one day. It isn't really that important whether this young man was experimenting with LDS or LSD. Just the slightest exposure to either one and a man begins to hallucinate."

http://www.ldsfilm.com/movies/DBCooper.html

The book is titled D.B. Cooper: The Real McCoy by Bernie Rhodes and Russ Calame - both former FBI agents who believe that D.B. Cooper was Richard McCoy - who died in a shootout with the FBI in 1974

Last edited by Harrier; 09-01-2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,796 times
Quote:
Uh huh. This is the first time that a presidential candidate's religion has been discussed. First time ever. Poor Mitt. Such a martyr.

But I do wonder if this is the first time that a major institutionalized religion in the U.S. has clarified its own religious teachings for the sake of one of its member's political campaigns.
Or had members of his religious congregation pave the way for his acceptance speech. I found that really offensive - Jesus Christ should not be an official participant in the election of the POTUS.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 PM

27,997 posts, read 29,828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Jesus Christ should not be an official participant in the election of the POTUS.
Don't count on that happening any time soon. The GOP as a whole seems to disagree with you.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,789,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Unlike the DNC Church.
The tea party has a new name now, calling themselves the Douchebag Neocon Confederacy church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies