Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times

Advertisements

Carlos Mayans, a former Republican legislator and Wichita mayor once seen by almost everyone as a conservative stalwart, said he’s seen and felt the change over the past two years. “Not too long ago, I was called a Democrat by one of those superconservatives,” Mayans said, laughing. “I said, ‘Are you kidding me?’ ” He said what got him branded a Democrat was questioning the method used to select Republican Party leaders, who were nominated by a closed-door committee and presented to the rank and file as a slate of candidates . .

“Some of these people are not interested in any ideas but their ideas, and only people in their group are good people and everybody else is bad,” he said. “The interesting thing is the people who are playing the litmus tests have never done anything themselves … these people don’t have the political skills and experience, but a lot of ideology. People are mean to each other, and I don’t like it.”

Read more here: Conservatism takes a right turn in Kansas politics | Wichita Eagle

Definitely frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
You can thank the uncensored internet, for exposing the take over of freedom in the USA.

Remember when it was the TV and newspaper media, controlling the outcome of elections.

The internet has exposed the governments media as misleading, with a goal of social engineering, using social justice.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
I was speaking of this with my father the other day. With Olympia Snowe leaving, we couldn't name a single moderate Republican senator left. These Tea Baggers see compromise as evil. If you look through history, most of the most valuable pieces of legislation have come from bipartisan efforts. Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and others knew the value in compromising. The Tea Baggers deride any Republican who seeks compromise as a "RINO."

And the republic suffers...

Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 PM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Carlos Mayans is not a Democrat. Since he is left of the Tea Party he is a Marxist wanting to full out collectivization and income caps.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I was speaking of this with my father the other day. With Olympia Snowe leaving, we couldn't name a single moderate Republican senator left. These Tea Baggers see compromise as evil. If you look through history, most of the most valuable pieces of legislation have come from bipartisan efforts. Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and others knew the value in compromising. The Tea Baggers deride any Republican who seeks compromise as a "RINO."

And the republic suffers...

How much more of the US Constitution, do you wish to compromise?
I think there is not much left of it.

You life is micro managed for you.
You just think you are free.
We are watching you!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Carlos Mayans, a former Republican legislator and Wichita mayor once seen by almost everyone as a conservative stalwart, said he’s seen and felt the change over the past two years. “Not too long ago, I was called a Democrat by one of those superconservatives,” Mayans said, laughing. “I said, ‘Are you kidding me?’ ” He said what got him branded a Democrat was questioning the method used to select Republican Party leaders, who were nominated by a closed-door committee and presented to the rank and file as a slate of candidates . .

“Some of these people are not interested in any ideas but their ideas, and only people in their group are good people and everybody else is bad,” he said. “The interesting thing is the people who are playing the litmus tests have never done anything themselves … these people don’t have the political skills and experience, but a lot of ideology. People are mean to each other, and I don’t like it.”

Read more here: Conservatism takes a right turn in Kansas politics | Wichita Eagle

Definitely frightening.
Yea, the macho, braindead, my way or the highway contingent has taken over the GOP. This is like the Bush foreign policy. The beatings will keep up until morale improves!

Good luck with that.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
That shift isn't to the "scare words" of monolithic super- or neo-conservatism. It's a mixed bag of conservative strains -- economic, social, libertarian, traditionalist, objectivist and all the others. They're not fully compatible, sometimes in near-direct opposition. The only policies that will find themselves completely on the outside are the crazy-quilt of follies masquerading as "progressivism".

Because basic conservative principles are a verdammt sight more of an improvement over the Political Correctness, feel-good fake sensitivity and gradual usurpation of individual rights which has been orchestrated, and centrally co-ordinated by the Chicago gang within the Belway over the last four years.

The whining by the most priveleged and sheltered of the cuurent elite asisde, the extremes will cancel each other out, and the rough edges will be smoothed over, It might take another four years, and the hars lessons learned more effectively of it did, but the Obama nation will eventually colapse under the weight of its own stupidity.

And the people who replace it are likely to be a lot less prone to settle old scores.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Politicians play politics? You don't say.

• A strong belief in free markets and minimal regulation of business activity.

• Favoring large cuts in government spending.

• Strong support for lowering or eliminating taxes, especially income taxes.

• A strong “pro-life” position extending beyond traditional opposition to abortion.

These are things that Republicans have always ran on. Indeed they have not always followed those principles hence we are $16 trillion in debt. Is it really that outlandish to ask people to actually do what they claim they will do?

Now, I'm still not sold that the new bunch will actually do what they claim either, we will have to wait and see.

But here is the best part. Mayans served in the House from 1992 to 2000. He then served one term as mayor of Wichita and then promptly got trounced in his re-election bid. It would seem that most didn't agree with his ideas.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yea, the macho, braindead, my way or the highway contingent has taken over the GOP. This is like the Bush foreign policy. The beatings will keep up until morale improves!

Good luck with that.
It never takes long for some to resort to juvenile name calling.

It is all they have.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

Good luck with that.
You mean the foreign policy that Obama has continued so seamlessly It's as if there was never a change of command?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies