Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

According to Wikipedia...

Quote:
Different views exist on the meaning of this commandment. Some interpret the scope in the narrowest possible sense, as only a prohibition of lying in courtroom testimony. Other interpretations view the commandment as a prohibition on any false statement that degrades our neighbor's reputation or dignity.

Still others interpret the commandment in the broadest possible sense: as a prohibition on all lying.
There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

The command against false testimony is seen as a natural consequence of the command to “love your neighbor as yourself.” This moral prescription flows from the command for holy people to bear witness to their God who is the truth and wills the truth. Offenses against the truth express by word or deed a refusal to commit oneself to moral uprightness: they are fundamental infidelities to God and, in this sense, they undermine the foundations of covenant with God.
I assume that in politics, especially in the current hijacked Republican Party, they interpret it in its narrowest sense as described above. How convenient that their God was not morte specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Christians love to pick and choose which parts of the Bible they obey.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

I assume that in politics, especially in the current hijacked Republican Party, they interpret it in its narrowest sense as described above. How convenient that their God was not morte specific.

I love how atheist liberals always turn to the Bible to "prove" their points.

Keep in mind that you look absurd in this venture, as it shows you have been brainwashed by the leftist agenda, as ingrained in the US left via the Frankfurt School, courtesy of Stalin (the liberal godfather).

Destroy the church
Destroy the family
Destroy the middle class

Look at every liberal policy and you have the goal of performing one of the above three. It is like having a large population of fifth columnists in the US. What did Mao call them?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Keep in mind that you look absurd in this venture, as it shows you have been brainwashed by the leftist agenda, as ingrained in the US left via the Frankfurt School, courtesy of Stalin (the liberal godfather).

Destroy the church
Destroy the family
Destroy the middle class

Look at every liberal policy and you have the goal of performing one of the above three. It is like having a large population of fifth columnists in the US. What did Mao call them?
Nice try! Way off point. It has to do with lying Ryan and Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Thou shalt not kill seems simple enough..yet Christians kill without giving it a second thought if it suits their purpose.
10 commandments? They all look good carved in stone but in reality? mindless fluff.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 AM

812 posts, read 595,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

I suppose it would be Germaine to such a discussion that such a statement be made by someone that self describes as sicko...now I am not sure what that self implies about the op, however...it would seem reasonable to deduct that such a person would have no standing in commenting on the religious beliefs of the faithful.

There is no place for commentary on religion from self described hedonists, homosexuals and the like which hold beliefs contrarian to Christians. With that certain observation this thread should not have much legs.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post

no, they follow the New testament, not the old testament.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:

Destroy the church
Destroy the family
Destroy the middle class

I count 8 lies in that one post. Well done!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:

Destroy the church
Destroy the family
Destroy the middle class

That's a very ignorant remark. It's not my belief that is in question. It's your belief that is. If one claims to be religious, it is their obligation to own up. You choose the book to live and preach by and it is my observation that it is being hypoctritical if you don't follow its creed. Get it now?

BTW...I've stated many times on CD that The Ten Commandments were enough to use as a guidance tool for living with integrity...the rest is just hooey and fairty tales.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Got that right. If the minds of the chrisitan right, being a "good christian" simply means to hate gays, abortion, and contraceptives, while loving guns, wars, and voting republican no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies