Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Interesting thoughts, tn!

I am not optimistic that we will give up what I once called the "agora syndrome." It may please for that one moment, instant fulfillment, but not much in the way of value! Kind of like empty calories.

But, what do we do?
Well I tend to go with whoever said that the hardest thing to put up with is a good example. Wake up each day, put ones pants on one leg at a time and just givem hell and do the best we can, what else is there really? I find that kids, while they may not heed advice will often emulate it when no one is looking.

Actually, I am reminded by an analogy I once used when asked about this very type of thing.

During WWII when soldiers stormed the beaches at Normandy, if a single soldier said to himself, if I were to run away it would not change the outcome of this war and I would surely live. And he would likely be right as no one soldier really mattered but collectively they did. For some it may be their only contribution to take a bullet so that their buddy may kill one of the enemy and go on. Each plays a part, even if insignificant yet at the same time, it may just be the lowly patent clerk who changes the world.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 10-15-2007 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: additional text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Peace and War. Having tried both I vastly prefer peace.

I have observed, in myself and others that the most aggressive behavior is associated with the level of fear being experienced by the agressor at that moment. IMHO insecurity, on a personal or national level, leads to the aggressive behavior. I am appalled with the incredible waste of lives, resources and money dedicated to providing security to the perpetually fearful. Ironically the money spent makes huge profits for the most frightened. This is a feedback loop hooked up in the wrong direction.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:04 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am not optimistic that we will give up what I once called the "agora syndrome." It may please for that one moment, instant fulfillment, but not much in the way of value! Kind of like empty calories. But, what do we do?
Seek to minimize the damage?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Peace and War. Having tried both I vastly prefer peace.

I have observed, in myself and others that the most aggressive behavior is associated with the level of fear being experienced by the agressor at that moment. IMHO insecurity, on a personal or national level, leads to the aggressive behavior. I am appalled with the incredible waste of lives, resources and money dedicated to providing security to the perpetually fearful. Ironically the money spent makes huge profits for the most frightened. This is a feedback loop hooked up in the wrong direction.
I must be a product of the cynical press, as I still think the easiest way to make peace fashionable is to make it profitable.

As far as the US goes, well as long as war is something just seen on a tv screen by the masses, as opposed to the tiny few who actually engage in it, then we will always be a sucker for it.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Militarism and the associated wars is a drug that has addicted the economy. Unfortunately, like being addicted to crack or speed, it does not last forever. Eventually the legitimate and necessary investments in domestic infrastructure and industry overwhelm the system and the collapse starts. We are perilously close to this economic and societal tipping point.

We have to decide if we want to return to a peaceful prosperous Republic or remain a belligerent empire on the verge of collapse.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Militarism and the associated wars is a drug that has addicted the economy. Unfortunately, like being addicted to crack or speed, it does not last forever. Eventually the legitimate and necessary investments in domestic infrastructure and industry overwhelm the system and the collapse starts. We are perilously close to this economic and societal tipping point.

We have to decide if we want to return to a peaceful prosperous Republic or remain a belligerent empire on the verge of collapse.
In your last statement, I suspect it may be a falter in our economy of civil society that brings about the former, peace.

There are plenty of peace loving folks in America, in fact I bet they make up the vast majority but such notions are seen as idealistic and or lofty notions as things are still humming along ok for most folks. If and when something like a strong economic down turn occurs then people will start to focus back here on the home front more and more and in fact I think it is already happening.

Just look at the many threads on this forum that are concerned with the falling dollar, rising oil prices, housing slump, predatory lending, etc... Lower and Middle class America is already starting to feel the looming pinch but it isn't so bad just yet. If it does take a turn for the worse, then notions of waging more wars abroad will vanish as maintaining a standard of living that people have become accustomed to will be more important. Whether or not this would translate into some lasting peace or a widening of domestic violence remains to be seen, but at the very least, everyone here would be involved whether they like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies