Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Fairytales aside, I'm all for a flat tax combined with a progressive tax. Everyone has skin in the game but those with most of the money and power have to pay more for the privilege of having getting to have most of the money and power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
The idea of a progressive tax was first signed into law by Abraham Lincoln. You know, the hero of the Right.

It absolutely makes sense.

My wife and I are well off.

5% of our income means nothing to us.

To the poor, 5% means a lot. It might mean missed meals.

I agree with President Reagan (look it up, uneducated Pubs). A progressive tax system (instead of a flat tax) makes sense. I would gladly pay 40% of my income to help those who have to do without.

What Would Jesus Do, right?

WWJD?

Seriously, WWJD?

You claim to be Christians, but you love to screw the poor at every turn.

Would Jesus cut taxes for the rich and cut programs for the poor?
Matthew 25:34-36 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

Mark 10:21-22 Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

Luke 14:12-14 He said also to the one who had invited him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Luke 16:19-25 "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who longed to satisfy his hunger with what fell from the rich man's table; even the dogs would come and lick his sores. The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried.

In Hades, where he was being tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham far away with Lazarus by his side. He called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in agony in these flames.' But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in agony.

And, of course, then there's this:

Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

Who doesn't know what happened to Sodom?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
The idea of a progressive tax was first signed into law by Abraham Lincoln. You know, the hero of the Right.

It absolutely makes sense.

My wife and I are well off.

5% of our income means nothing to us.

To the poor, 5% means a lot. It might mean missed meals.

I agree with President Reagan (look it up, uneducated Pubs). A progressive tax system (instead of a flat tax) makes sense. I would gladly pay 40% of my income to help those who have to do without.

What Would Jesus Do, right?

WWJD?

Seriously, WWJD?

You claim to be Christians, but you love to screw the poor at every turn.

Would Jesus cut taxes for the rich and cut programs for the poor?

There is no limit to what you can pay if you really want to.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
I'm not confusing them. They are confused, themselves.

They claim to worship Jesus, but want to cut taxes for the rich and cut services for the poor.

Jesus would do the exact opposite. Unless you disbelieve the Bible.
Today's brand of conservatives can not be Christians. The two ideologies are incompatible. Conservatives like Ryan worship at the alter of Ayan Rand (atheism and greed) they believe that they themselves are Gods and the only thing that matters is their own personal wants. Selfishness is not a virtue in Christianity.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I'm not confusing them. They are confused, themselves.

They claim to worship Jesus, but want to cut taxes for the rich and cut services for the poor.

Jesus would do the exact opposite. Unless you disbelieve the Bible.
Please don't confuse a social and moral responsibility with a legal mandate.

I personally give a good portion of my income to people who need it. That is very different from me supporting disproportional tax rates. Charitable giving should not be legally mandated.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Please don't confuse a social and moral responsibility with a legal mandate.

I personally give a good portion of my income to people who need it. That is very different from me supporting disproportional tax rates. Charitable giving should not be legally mandated.
Charity can not be mandated. IF it were, it would not be considered Charity. If money is required to support govt. outlays it is considered a Tax.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Charity can not be mandated. IF it were, it would not be considered Charity. If money is required to support govt. outlays it is considered a Tax.
Welfare, Section 8, Food Stamps and UI are all government mandated charity (in the social definition of the term charity).

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Welfare, Section 8, Food Stamps and UI are all government mandated charity (in the social definition of the term charity).
Actually, that is not correct. You are attributing emotions to govt. The people who pay the payments to recipients are just doing their job and not anything charitable. I am sure many disagree with the payments.

Certainly politicians are not being charitable as it is not their personal money being used.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
They have more money.
Unfortunately, I fear a lot of people think this is a good reason in and of itself. Seriously. Percentages fly right over their heads. 'Expenses' is also a foreign concept to them.

I'm sad to say America is basically stupid. Totally, unequivically, bat-s**t stupid.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Unfortunately, I fear a lot of people think this is a good reason in and of itself. Seriously. Percentages fly right over their heads. 'Expenses' is also a foreign concept to them.

I'm sad to say America is basically stupid. Totally, unequivically, bat-s**t stupid.
New day. New vote for most ironic post of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies