Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Christ on his throne, and you people are allowed to vote?

Statistically...

Mircea
Report: 15% of Americans on food stamps - Bottom Line

How are you allowed to vote?

Maybe you should do a little research before you ignorantly post. And you were talking about statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
I think the food stamp crisis is a true indicator of just how bad things are out of focus in our country. The demise of standard of living is the real issue here. Hard times do not discriminate based on your political views. The real issues need to be addressed. I do not think anyone wants to get rid of programs that are in place for situations where they are needed for basic survival. Perhaps if the politicians we put in place to take care of the business of making our country run well for ALL American Citizens need to be held accountable. If they are not doing their jobs with the well being of the citizens and the country in mind......then they have no business holding office making us victim of their follies and debacles while lining their own pockets and that of their crownies....no mater what party line they adhere to...
I think this is more an indicator of how bad the focus is in our country -- people in this country really don't know what hardship is. Kids think they're impoverished if they have a pre-paid cell phone instead of an iPhone 5.

iPhone 5 sales top 5M but miss estimates | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

More than 5 million iPhone 5s were sold in the first three days, surpassing a record set last year by the previous model

Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well they are integrated. If you go look at the actual accounting of govt (CAFR). You will see that JPM, GS etc... are all shareholder controlled by govt. These same banks are part of a small group that control 80% of global wealth. Certainly there are elite individuals who actually make the moves.

All I can tell you is the govt owns the controlling shares and they direct the corporations as owner through their proxy voting via corporate governance. They in turn made a great deal of money. This is why the trade "deficit" is of no concern. Those American companies now in China make a great deal more for the investment funds. This is simply externalizing corporate cost to maximize profit. Look at the actions. CAF was trying to "insource" with local labor as an economic model and she has stated that she was told "it's too late we are sending the jobs overseas". Following the money certainly can be very helpful.

As to party, they too are owned completely.

(this can be done with publicly traded company after company btw)

What is JP Morgan Chase?

Revealed – the capitalist network that runs the world - physics-math ...

Well your links make for some very interesting reading. I had no idea....

Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think this is more an indicator of how bad the focus is in our country -- people in this country really don't know what hardship is. Kids think they're impoverished if they have a pre-paid cell phone instead of an iPhone 5.

iPhone 5 sales top 5M but miss estimates | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

More than 5 million iPhone 5s were sold in the first three days, surpassing a record set last year by the previous model
Makes one wonder how many people who order new iPhones are on food stamps.....that would be interesting to know

Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Default The Hidden Underlying Danger of Exploding Food Stamp Use and similar assistance

If I recall the speeches correctly, Ryan brought up an outstanding point. America is at least as much an idea, as a nation. The foundation of the idea is the American Dream. Has it ever been as possible as folklore would lead one to believe-No, but it must be at minimum, somewhat possible.

If it ceases to exist, the idea ceases to exist, and IMO, we are on our way to having celebrated our last centennial in the form our nation exists in now, and how it existed last century.

So while I commend Ryan for saying it, IMO, they are leaving out the most vital part..possibly due to fear of saying it aloud.

Should we implode, we may have buried OBL, but his cause would have won.

For those confused by the thread name, connect the dots. Connect rising use to root issues of underlying problems. It is the reason we need 100% focus on job creation. The Dream must be restored.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
You are correct.

Osama might be dead, but his legacy lives.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM

89 posts, read 149,557 times

Food stamps aren't the problem. Wars of aggression are.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Food Stamps are a microcosm of our increasingly dependent society.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Yeah, well, groceries are a small part of your household budget, too, so why don't you just cut out that part and have more to spend on other things?

Good God! Defense is our most important expenditure. And 0bama is doing everything he can to destroy it.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How about they cancel their cable/satellite TV, World of Warcraft and Netflix subscriptions, broadband and cell-phones, and use that money to buy food?
If I would be Romney, I wouldn't cancel the Food Stamp program, rather I would appoint a receiver to manage the finances of people who are on Food Stamps.
The receiver would cancel their cable/satellite TV, World of Warcraft and Netflix subscriptions, broadband and cell-phones, and credit cards. Sell off the 2 or 3 SUVs they don't need, and get them financially back on track.
And yes, that might mean they have to move out of their McMansion starter castle into a rented mobile home shared with another family.

Realistically...

Mircea
I'm sure you're quite confident that you have it all figured out, but your assertions are a testament to the mythical creature that is the welfare king/queen. Food stamps are not given out to those who don't qualify. Owning more than one car would already disqualify you. If the car you own is worth more than a set amount, again, you don't qualify.

Although it looks like you would want to call the shots on how poor people spend their " vast resources". You must hate poor people to have such a low opinion and twisted perspective.

If you think the current foodstamp system is broken, you can make the change with your government, not by spreading lies on the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies