Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times

Advertisements

The ONION. I don't know how this is funny in any way Not in any way!

Amidst the deafening roar of applause and anti-gay slurs, the highly decorated veteran, who had just returned from his third tour of duty in Afghanistan, was dragged around the stage in a blindfold and flexicuffs while party leaders took turns pummeling his body into a near-lifeless pile of mangled flesh.

“Who’s ready to get this convention started? I said, who’s ready to get this convention started?!” shouted former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, one hand clutching the gay Marine’s bloodstained fatigues and the other cocked toward his face. “I want to hear some noise if you think it’s time for a change in Washington—if you think this administration is out of touch with America’s problems.”

“Out of touch,” he repeated, drilling a fist into the combat veteran’s kidneys with each syllable. “Let’s give it up for Romney-Ryan 2012!”

Gay Marine Beaten To Bloody Pulp To Fire Up RNC Crowd | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
That's pretty bad, and goes way beyond satire.

Is there a single lefty/democrat/"Repuke hater" out there that will condone this?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,150,820 times
I have to admit, I fail to see the humour in it..... Infact i'd probably describe it as distasteful.

I don't look upon this as a liberal or conservative article, I just see it as one of taste... or more accuratley the lack thereof.

Last edited by Baldrick; 09-04-2012 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: To Edit.. Why do you think?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I have to admit, I fail to see the humour in it..... Infact i'd probably describe it as distasteful.
I find it extremely horrifying that these people think this is the least bit funny! Oh wait I am a conservative so I am suppose to hate gay/lesbians.
I can't think of anyone I know that would even think of doing something like this let alone writing about it in a article for everyone to see.
There is disturbing and well just WOW!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
The Onion's goal is to push buttons. Clearly it is working cause you are going to their site to read it means more traffic for them. There is a lot of hateful things on the internet, you know you don't have to read any of it or pay any attention to it.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The Onion's goal is to push buttons. Clearly it is working cause you are going to their site to read it means more traffic for them. There is a lot of hateful things on the internet, you know you don't have to read any of it or pay any attention to it.
No I don't read the oinion came across it through someone else sorry to burst your bubble!

Would you be saying that there are worse things on the internet if this was on a conservative site?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
No I don't read the oinion came across it through someone else sorry to burst your bubble!

Would you be saying that there are worse things on the internet if this was on a conservative site?
Yes, I am sure the KKK have a website, or several websites, but i dont go reading them. Hate to burst your bubble.

And you posted a link on here to the Onion article, which you give them free publicity, I am sure they would thank you for your help.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
The ONION. I don't know how this is funny in any way Not in any way!

Amidst the deafening roar of applause and anti-gay slurs, the highly decorated veteran, who had just returned from his third tour of duty in Afghanistan, was dragged around the stage in a blindfold and flexicuffs while party leaders took turns pummeling his body into a near-lifeless pile of mangled flesh.

“Who’s ready to get this convention started? I said, who’s ready to get this convention started?!” shouted former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, one hand clutching the gay Marine’s bloodstained fatigues and the other cocked toward his face. “I want to hear some noise if you think it’s time for a change in Washington—if you think this administration is out of touch with America’s problems.”

“Out of touch,” he repeated, drilling a fist into the combat veteran’s kidneys with each syllable. “Let’s give it up for Romney-Ryan 2012!”

Gay Marine Beaten To Bloody Pulp To Fire Up RNC Crowd | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
The ONION, really? Just curious what are you do reading the ONION?
Personally I think some people in Both Parties have lost the freaking minds, reminds me of 08, many posters that were once rational went so far over the edge they never came back to reality. The fighting and craziness got so bad every moderate and Lib left the site and many came here, the site eventually closed and even many of the righties ended up here. Just food for thought.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Funny or not, because some people are going to read it and believe it the ONION will know it's doing it's job. That highlights something right there.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Satire isn't necessarily always funny. I doubt the Irish found Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal funny in that it suggests that the Irish eat their babies if they didn't want to starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies