Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM

502 posts, read 717,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.
Many of these young people are the left-wing fringe who live in the hipster, cultural big cities (which naturally garner the most media attention). Most of them hold worthless humanities degrees that qualify them to make coffee at starbucks, so a better economy still would not help them. Welcome to post-industrial values America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times
They could careless who sleeps with who--their primary concern is health care and tuiton, pell grant and student loans...Wake up America!!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 PM

200 posts, read 165,775 times
I def. would NEVER vote for a libertarian. I wish there was a more progressive candidate than Obama that was viable. Somebody that would bring about universal healthcare (or at the very least a public option), a min. living wage (something that you can actually live on), reduced costs on universities (where there is a max. amount that can be borrowed, with tuition caps), getting out of Afghanistan and reducing our military budget, letting the tax cuts on the wealthy expire, actual reform on education that is in line with what European countries do (more teacher autonomy in the classroom as well as relying on performance evaluations to determine competency...this means that teacher unions should allow principals to fire a little more freely if there is probable suspicion that the teacher is incompetent), better wages in education (seriously many people don't go into teaching because of low wages, esp. males), gay marriage, and incentives for green technologies. I would also like to see incentives for manufacturing in the US (as long as its green).

Many young people are focused on how the US can sustain a middle class. Basically, the market is pricing out youth. This is part of the reason why more college students are moving to Canada and why more youth are pursuing careers abroad. It's simply too expensive and too risky to live in the US. It's sad that we've changed so much.

I know that many people would be against these things, but if it works in Europe (Germany, France, and the UK have roughly the same levels of debt as the US)...then why not here? Scandinavia is expensive, but their standard of living is WAY higher than ours.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Default Obama flip-flops like Romney

Quote:
I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.

I guess they haven't heard of Gary Johnson. Or they don't remember the Obama positions from a few months ago. Most students are so busy that they don't have time to check out the candidates. Many college students even believe "our" govt rarely lies! Obama is claiming to have positions like Gary Johnson now. It seems Obama might promise anything to get elected.

Gary Johnson is so fair, hard-working, honest, kind, & smart. It is hard for me to understand why people prefer candidates purchased by special interest groups. Gary is not for sale! Gary is for the 100% equally. He agrees with the majority, and his issues positions are clearly stated with explanations of the benefits.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
I def. would NEVER vote for a libertarian. I wish there was a more progressive candidate than Obama that was viable. Somebody that would bring about universal healthcare (or at the very least a public option), a min. living wage (something that you can actually live on), reduced costs on universities (where there is a max. amount that can be borrowed, with tuition caps), getting out of Afghanistan and reducing our military budget, letting the tax cuts on the wealthy expire, actual reform on education that is in line with what European countries do (more teacher autonomy in the classroom as well as relying on performance evaluations to determine competency...this means that teacher unions should allow principals to fire a little more freely if there is probable suspicion that the teacher is incompetent), better wages in education (seriously many people don't go into teaching because of low wages, esp. males), gay marriage, and incentives for green technologies. I would also like to see incentives for manufacturing in the US (as long as its green).

Many young people are focused on how the US can sustain a middle class. Basically, the market is pricing out youth. This is part of the reason why more college students are moving to Canada and why more youth are pursuing careers abroad. It's simply too expensive and too risky to live in the US. It's sad that we've changed so much.

Most young people still in college don't even think about the economy. They are most concerned about social issues, gay marriage being at the top and supporting a woman's right to abortion being second. Several people who had called into the talk show I listened to admitted that is the case. Even those out of college and still working at Starbucks living with their parents refuse to place blame on Obama but instead blame Bush and continue to support Obama because they are enamored by his social agenda.

Young people are moving overseas not because the opportunities aren't here but because other nations, especially Europe, is seen as more progressive and cultured than the US. Europe isn't doing any better economically than the US and in fact many nations are doing worse. This is very much a "follow the crowd" generation and what is seen as cool and hip is flocked to by the masses. The urban "left wing fringe hipster" that is the image of the Pacific Northwest and Burning Man is also the identity of the Millennial generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
I know that many people would be against these things, but if it works in Europe (Germany, France, and the UK have roughly the same levels of debt as the US)...then why not here? Scandinavia is expensive, but their standard of living is WAY higher than ours.
Last I heard the euro-zone was on the verge of collapse. Most liberals though perceive Europe to be superior for whatever reason.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think that most gays delude themselves on where they stand as far as a issue overall. The Calfornia vote in a very liberal state should have given a clue.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Quote:
Most young people still in college don't even think about the economy. They are most concerned about social issues, gay marriage being at the top and supporting a woman's right to abortion being second. Several people who had called into the talk show I listened to admitted that is the case. Even those out of college and still working at Starbucks living with their parents refuse to place blame on Obama but instead blame Bush and continue to support Obama because they are enamored by his social agenda.

Young people are moving overseas not because the opportunities aren't here but because other nations, especially Europe, is seen as more progressive and cultured than the US. Europe isn't doing any better economically than the US and in fact many nations are doing worse. This is very much a "follow the crowd" generation and what is seen as cool and hip is flocked to by the masses. The urban "left wing fringe hipster" that is the image of the Pacific Northwest and Burning Man is also the identity of the Millennial generation

Last I heard the euro-zone was on the verge of collapse. Most liberals though perceive Europe to be superior for whatever reason.
Maybe it's just the show you listen to, it would explain your posts.

Show me that "young people" are moving to Europe more now 2008 -present, more than they have since 2000. Yes because Bush could do no wrong as he destroyed the economy with the Republicans.

Also, the Euro-Zone is not on the verge of collapse. So the last you heard is as uninformed as the rest of your posts.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
While their hearts are in the right place, young people should vote for a 3rd party candidate who can fix the economy and supports government being out of the marriage business. This is my stance on the issue..... that gay folks should have all the same rights

A guy like Ron Paul or Gary Johnson is a much better choice than either Obama or Romney
I agree completely, but it won't happen. I am gay but am much more concerned about the fact that we are completely losing our rights and liberties in so many ways (Patriot Act and now the ease with which the government can declare martial law). But of course, since these things are not reported or are misrepresented in mainstream media:

Obama Signs Martial Law Bill NDAA Now Law 12/31/11 - YouTube

What good are gay rights when they are building FEMA Camps and have the ability to declare martial law on a whim???

FEMA CAMPS Do You REALLY KNOW What Is Going On? - YouTube

Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Maybe it's just the show you listen to, it would explain your posts.

Show me that "young people" are moving to Europe more now 2008 -present, more than they have since 2000. Yes because Bush could do no wrong as he destroyed the economy with the Republicans.

Also, the Euro-Zone is not on the verge of collapse. So the last you heard is as uninformed as the rest of your posts.
Bush tried to get Congress to reign in Freddie and Fannie before the collapse but they refused to do so. The housing crisis, which is the root of this recession, has its roots well before Bush. Even if it was entirely Bush's fault, he hasn't been President for four years. It's time for Obama to take responsibility for not being able (or even trying) to fix it.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Quote:
Bush tried to get Congress to reign in Freddie and Fannie before the collapse but they refused to do so. The housing crisis, which is the root of this recession, has its roots well before Bush. Even if it was entirely Bush's fault, he hasn't been President for four years. It's time for Obama to take responsibility for not being able (or even trying) to fix it.
He has done a lot. Republicans are only willing to say "no." They care more about hurting the Democrats than helping the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies