Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If the GOP did not want to make it a "Republican Issue" then why did they put it in their platform that they wanted to extend 14th amendment protections to zygotes?
That's just it--the position is so extreme that most moderate conservatives can't support it. It's an issue because the radical evangelical wing of the republican party made it one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's just it--the position is so extreme that most moderate conservatives can't support it. It's an issue because the radical evangelical wing of the republican party made it one.
Support for Abortion Slips - Pew Research Center

I didn't know that a wildly radical position was one where about half the people are in favor of it....

I am of the school that it should be legal only for cases of rape or health of the mother..... we shouldn't be blindly subsidizing bad choices with a "its ok honey" type attitude

Should of kept your legs closed......

I am willing to say that we need much better sex ed though

3....2...1..... until the shrill cackling of the "you hate women" hens come in......

Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.
1) Gay marriage? Sure, in places like the village in NYC, San Francisco or LA they do. But overall in America (which includes WV, OH and TX as well), the majority of people under 30, do not care about that, one way or another. America is so large that listening to one media outlet may distort your view. Obama may speak to young people more then Romney, but not necessary because of gay marriage.
2) Which Obama economic policies make young people suffer? (Unless of course you refer to his general failure to stop the recession...)

Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Gay marriage? Sure, in places like the village in NYC, San Francisco or LA they do. But overall in America (which includes WV, OH and TX as well), the majority of people under 30, do not care about that, one way or another. America is so large that listening to one media outlet may distort your view. Obama may speak to young people more then Romney, but not necessary because of gay marriage.
2) Which Obama economic policies make young people suffer? (Unless of course you refer to his general failure to stop the recession...)
His failure to stop the recession and the fact his policies have helped and will, if he gets a second term, prolong it. Obama has actually done very little to help the economy; if you disagree please explain what Obama policies have had a positive effect on the economy. More business regulations and higher taxes on businesses and consumers are not what this country needs at this time. He has complete power his first two years with Democrats in both houses of congress and he spends all his political capital on Obamacare rather than focusing on what Americans were really concerned about; the economy. This is definitely not the "hope and change" people voted for in 2008. The status quo isn't working and it will be insanity to continue on this path thinking it will get better.

Bush hasn't been President in four years; its time for Obama to take some responsibility.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Fixed that for you.

Any politician who thinks that reproductive rights isn't a big deal to women, especially young women, is delusional. It was absurd watching republicans publicly denounce Akin and then adopt a platform that supports his stance on a woman's right to choose, and that didn't go unnoticed by young voters.

Can we drop the Orwellian new-speak crap?

It's not "reproductive freedom" or a "right to choose".

Those are ten-dollar euphemisms for abortion and abortion is the killing of a child.

Abortion has nothing to do with freedom or rights.

Abortion is the voting majority using their uncountered political power to take the right to life away from an inconvenient and non-voting minority.

Injecting common decency into the American political process may be a deal breaker, but that doesn't mean we should just throw in the towel when the rights of the powerless are being trampled.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
His failure to stop the recession and the fact his policies have helped and will, if he gets a second term, prolong it. Obama has actually done very little to help the economy; if you disagree please explain what Obama policies have had a positive effect on the economy. More business regulations and higher taxes on businesses and consumers are not what this country needs at this time. He has complete power his first two years with Democrats in both houses of congress and he spends all his political capital on Obamacare rather than focusing on what Americans were really concerned about; the economy. This is definitely not the "hope and change" people voted for in 2008. The status quo isn't working and it will be insanity to continue on this path thinking it will get better.

Bush hasn't been President in four years; its time for Obama to take some responsibility.
I agree that Obama didn't succeed in ending the recession, but I doubt other president could. But allow me to disagree with:
1) His control over congress in his first 2 years. Congress is not a parliament and Obama's control is limited. Many of the "Reagan democrats" and others have their own concerns, looking at what their constituencies signal more than at wants Obama demands. To be fair, he spent many months battling his own party with Obamacare before he dealt with the GOP. Is there wisdom behind spending so much energy at the beginning on healthcare reform? Don't know...
2) Corporate regulations and taxes (what taxes?) I agree that some CEOs didn't like it, but in general, elevating or lowering corporate tax by 5% do not change much. If I could I would lower corporate taxes by 5% from tomorrow and prove that not much changes.
I don't think the above are the main reasons the recession didn't end yet and it's possible that even with other policies we would still be suffering.
However, I still don't see how those factors influence young people specifically.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
IMO, the reason young people support Obama is the same reason why every other group supports a particular candidate: they think they will get something from him. Every group votes for their own perceived financial interests.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Funny obama had no opinion on gay marriage until he looked up in Jan and saw his polling numbers and decided to not enforce DOMA. A bill mind you that was signed by a democrat president. A duty mind you of the exec branch to enforce laws. Then they started the propoganda machine and tossed in some war on women and now abortion and here we are. Yes the uninformed yutes lap it up and run around screaming about chik fil a or whatever else nonsense is fed to em. It's what dumb kids do. I don't know what excuse the older aged swooners have.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.
Actually, that is wrong. Obama is seen, by economists and others, as the better choice for the economy.

Obama Better For Economy, Business Executives Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Funny obama had no opinion on gay marriage until he looked up in Jan and saw his polling numbers and decided to not enforce DOMA. A bill mind you that was signed by a democrat president. A duty mind you of the exec branch to enforce laws. Then they started the propoganda machine and tossed in some war on women and now abortion and here we are. Yes the uninformed yutes lap it up and run around screaming about chik fil a or whatever else nonsense is fed to em. It's what dumb kids do. I don't know what excuse the older aged swooners have.
Obama, unlike Mitt, is good with sticking to his views. He knows that supporting gay marriage is better for everyone and not allowing it is illegal. Bill Clinton signed the bill to allow homosexuals to serve in the military because the Republicans were so crazed about not letting them in at all. You are the expert on dumb.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Why all the support at election time then and none prior? Where was all the outrage about the chicken man before the ramp up for the election? Where was the war on women before the election? Are you telling me the evil republicans did all this starting in February and the great orator was just making it right? Are you really this blind or just defending the orator at all costs? Bill Clinton signed DOMA like I said in 1996. So democrats didn't care about gays until Feb of 2012 is what your telling me. What a coinkydink that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies