U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 16,506,409 times
Reputation: 4650

Advertisements

I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
 
3,347 posts, read 2,951,616 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.
While their hearts are in the right place, young people should vote for a 3rd party candidate who can fix the economy and supports goverment being out of the marriage business. This is my stance on the issue..... that gay folks should have all the same rights

A guy like Ron Paul or Gary Johnson is a much better choice than either Obama or Romney
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 16,506,409 times
Reputation: 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
While their hearts are in the right place, young people should vote for a 3rd party candidate who can fix the economy and supports goverment being out of the marriage business. This is my stance on the issue..... that gay folks should have all the same rights

A guy like Ron Paul or Gary Johnson is a much better choice than either Obama or Romney
Young people overwhelmingly supported Paul in the primaries. Obama and Paul couldn't be more polar opposite on the economy. These same people have become Obamabots only because of social issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: NC
9,984 posts, read 9,957,062 times
Reputation: 3083
That is part of the reason. The other big one is reproductive health. Todd Akin did more to help Obama with that comment than I think anyone realizes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,881 posts, read 73,217,862 times
Reputation: 22668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is part of the reason. The other big one is reproductive health. Todd Akin did more to help Obama with that comment then I think anyone realizes.
And why was that? He is a candidate in the great state of Missouri. Not a national candidate! And furthermore, he was lambasted by GOP everywhere - and even asked to pull out of the race.

So why on earth you would want to blame some fool's remarks on everyone in the party - is just plain childish and silly.

You know better. Really.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
 
3,347 posts, read 2,951,616 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Young people overwhelmingly supported Paul in the primaries. Obama and Paul couldn't be more polar opposite on the economy. These same people have become Obamabots only because of social issues.
And this is unfortunate because the Dems are no better than Reps these days

More reason than ever to get big money out of politics so that there can be more (and much better) choices
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
 
Location: NC
9,984 posts, read 9,957,062 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And why was that? He is a candidate in the great state of Missouri. Not a national candidate! And furthermore, he was lambasted by GOP everywhere - and even asked to pull out of the race.

So why on earth you would want to blame some fool's remarks on everyone in the party - is just plain childish and silly.

You know better. Really.
Why was that, simple because although he is only a candidate in Missouri a bunch of the nation heard that, and then, among a lot of people I know they proceeded to look up the GOP platform that proposes banning abortion in cases of rape or incest.

Akin's comment was merely a spark that lit an ideological tinderbox.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
 
3,347 posts, read 2,951,616 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Why was that, simple because although he is only a candidate in Missouri a bunch of the nation heard that, and then, among a lot of people I know they proceeded to look up the GOP platform that proposes banning abortion in cases of rape or incest.

Akin's comment was merely a spark that lit an ideological tinderbox.
Honestly, what he said was no worse than what alot of people have said publicly over the last 4 yrs or so..... the Dems just put alot of heat on their news sources to be extra outraged over it and get women riled up
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
 
14,866 posts, read 8,185,849 times
Reputation: 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And why was that? He is a candidate in the great state of Missouri. Not a national candidate! And furthermore, he was lambasted by GOP everywhere - and even asked to pull out of the race.

So why on earth you would want to blame some fool's remarks on everyone in the party - is just plain childish and silly.

You know better. Really.
And even while they were lambasting him publicly, they were busy writing his view on abortion into their platform. Or did they think no one would notice that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: NC
9,984 posts, read 9,957,062 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Honestly, what he said was no worse than what alot of people have said publicly over the last 4 yrs or so..... the Dems just put alot of heat on their news sources to be extra outraged over it and get women riled up
I am not disputing that the political tinder was there and had been there for a long time. I simply think that Todd Akin threw the lit cigarette, also cannot say I remember anyone, including Huckabee, who was the most anti-choice candidate I have seen, be that incendiary on television.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top