Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I definitely agree she is a closet racist. She is worried about asians and indians? Really? I understand worrying about an influx of blacks and hispanics, but asians? I fell out of my chair laughing. This woman is concerned about being around people of a different skin color and hiding behind the lame excuse of making sure her kids have a good childhood. Let me see if I have this correct, if they are around all white people, its a great childhood, but if they see asians, they're screwed. I get being scared living around black people, but you got whites folks worried about indians? That's pathetic.
I guess you never heard of this guy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Good one I-LOVE.... for every asian like that, you could probably put up 20 pictures of whacked up white dudes !!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Good one I-LOVE.... for every asian like that, you could probably put up 20 pictures of whacked up white dudes !!
Since whites are still way the majority in this country don't you think that might be the reason rather than your insinuation that it is some kind of genetic or mental flaw in the race itself?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I think this is a myth. I think this because the immigration in my family wasn't so long ago--I certainly remember the old people (the ones born in the old country and their children) talking a lot of foreign to each other and (for the parents, not the children) sticking to their own ethnic group. A few generations later, the cultural knowledge was a few words, a few recipes, and a few holiday traditions. Really, the best thing you could do to assimilate this new generation of immigrants is marry their children.
Did you miss the part about illegal immigration?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
fair enough

Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So you are saying that the children at the "good" school in the OP who speak English and are American are not assimilating?

For me that is a weird thing to say. I grew up with a lot of different people. I wasn't the "only" black person at my school, but I was an honor student in the GAF program. I was one of two black kids in this program at my school in elementary school and one of 3 in AP classes in high school.

There were more Asians in my classes than black people. I knew Cambodians, Laosians, and Vietnamese students and they were my friends. All of their parents and older relatives either 1-Didn't speak English or 2-spoke it with a very heavy accent where it was hard to understand them. My friends spoke English with an American accent. All of them were refugees from their respective countries so had faced an uphill battle in this country.

I am only 33 years old and grew up in the 80s and 90s so this was not that long ago. We didn't have many recently immigrated Mexicans in my neighborhood as our Chicano/Chicana population had long roots in our area, but almost all of them did speak Spanish at home. You would never be able to tell. We and my Cambodian, Laosian, Vietnamese, black, and white friends (who had fascinating genealogical backgrounds as well from Poland, Hungary, Romania, Russia, and others as in the Midwest there are a lot of different back grounds for "white people") all were American and got along great. Many of my white friends had grandparents who spoke their "old" language, especially Polish and Russians.

Our country is filled with people from all over the world. I personally view it as a strength. Once they become Americans, in 2-3 generations, they will speak English. If their kids go to school they will be Americanized. They are in no way "colonizing" our country. If that were the case, my hometown neighborhood would have been a mini-Poland lol.
I guess you're another one who missed my points about illegal immigration? The fact remains that most are from one ethnic group and are colonizing along with the legals and citizens of their group. Do you know that Hispanics are also the overwhelming number of legal immigrants into our country? That isn't diversity and encourages colonization rather than assimilation. Diversity in our immigration quotas went by the wayside and I'd like to know why. In the early immigration days immigrants came from all over Europe and the world and spoke many different languages and had different cultures. Therefore, colonization didn't occur. Somebody blew it and I'd like to know why.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The usual excuse is the crime thing. Now it's a language and culture issue. It's really a discomfort problem. Some white people just don't want to live around people who aren't like them. When they imagine the suburbs they're thinking Mayberry not Flushing. Hey they have the right but they can't control where non-whites move to.
Some minorities don't want to live around whites or others that aren't like them either. It isn't just a white thing.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
You're right in this case. White guys have the jump on Asians when it comes to mass shootings. He was an exception. I guess he was trying to "assimilate" into the country his parents moved him to.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
fair enough
Here's more! Not all Asian kids win the spelling bee and play the violin in the school orchestra!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
The area I live has always been predominately white but has been changing a lot over the years, particularly Asian and Indian and other middle eastern families. It's also pretty pricy to live here. The biggest difference I can see is that they are outperforming the white kids at schools and we now have an awesome Ranch 99 market and some really good of Indian and Pakistani restaurants.

To be fair I'm a few years removed from public schools and families with kids, I'm focused on where the mature, single or empty nest couples and retirement ready folks are going and a bunch of them seem to be moving to my neighborhood too! Smaller, older, single story homes with decent yards for gardening tend to attract a certain type I suppose. My street is a mix of all of the above with a sprinkling of kids and teens but you have to really look for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies