Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times

Advertisements

How did a thread about a specific town on LI get moved to this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMary View Post
I am worried about raising my children in an area that seems to be changing. They have seen many children from school move out of our town. They love their school and I am very happy with their education so far. The neighborhood is still safe but the majority of people that move into the neighborhood are Indian, Asian or Spanish. Each year there are less and less white families. I think some diversity is great and I find different cultures interesting but I dont like being the minority. Any insight to raising children in this type of neighborhood?
You're racist or something. Embrace diversity. Vote Dem.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 AM

629 posts, read 946,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMary View Post
I am worried about raising my children in an area that seems to be changing. They have seen many children from school move out of our town. They love their school and I am very happy with their education so far. The neighborhood is still safe but the majority of people that move into the neighborhood are Indian, Asian or Spanish. Each year there are less and less white families. I think some diversity is great and I find different cultures interesting but I dont like being the minority. Any insight to raising children in this type of neighborhood?
Our neighborhood has always been diverse. I think the biggest challenge is communicating with your child's friends' parents. One of my daughter's friends has a mother who doesn't speak any English. It's been difficult to set up play dates because you have to rely on a 7-yo to translate and (shocking!) they aren't that reliable when they want something. Even those who do speak English (like my Chinese neighbors) may have very thick accents and be difficult to understand. Very few of my kids' friends are white, but they are all nice kids. I have also found that even if your kid is a "minority" white at school, other activities such as Scouting, 4H, day camps, sports, etc. can skew whiter because I suppose their parents may have more funds for these things and also the private school kids can come, so maybe that would be a help if your child feels different.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
There my friends is the truth and the real concern. Most people, I would say, except for a very few, "want" to be a minority for all the reasons we already know. Can you blame her? She is seeing a neighborhood rebalance itself and she and her family are becoming the minority and she is concerned about the impact on her children and wise enough to be thinking about it and asking about it.

To suggest this is white flight, or racist is not the answer to her question. She is asking about raising children. My friend, as I said, went the private school route and then moved, while my answer may not have helped it is certainly,(IMHO) more productive than putting labels on behavior.
The blunt truth is that a lot of wine sipping white liberals do the same thing. In fact more so than down class whites since they can afford to do so.

I've heard of Black people in my majority Black county moan about the Spanish influx in our county. Or Blacks in DC complaining about neighborhoods shifting towards Whites.

Simply denouncing folks as racist doesn't solve anything time to realize we've experienced a trendous amount of change over the last 50 years and it maybe time to slow it down.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
How did a thread about a specific town on LI get moved to this forum?
That's my question as well. My only guess is because someone along the line called the OP a racist.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't dislike white people. In fact, many of my friends are white. Some of my best friends are white. I also have Middle Eastern, Asian, and Hispanic friends. I try my best not to judge people on their race.
Barack -- is that you?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
I know the feeling - I'm a minority every time I go into a White Castle
So yourrrrrrrr the sober dude?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Neighborhoods have been changing since the dawn of time. What was once a prairie field, could now be the center of a bustling metropolis. What was once a bustling mining town could be a ghost town. What was once an area for the affluent could be run down and abandoned.

There are some exceptions of neighborhoods staying relatively the same for centuries but they are a pretty unusual sight.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbeehave View Post
so yourrrrrrrr the sober dude?
lmao

Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
I know the feeling - I'm a minority every time I go into a White Castle
Since the OP is mostly concerned about Indians moving in maybe this is what you had in mind:

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies