Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,402,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Some unwed Mothers, choose that...because the men are so unworthy. Separate "unwed Mothers" into groups...not by race, but by Socio Economic Status, after all, Angelina Jolie, was an "unwed" Mother, for years...until she married Brad Pitt, I doubt she was ever on public assistance.
6 out of 10 children in mother only households live in poverty and are on government assistance.
Welfare Benefits For Single Mothers | LIVESTRONG.COM
According to the U.S. Census, six of 10 children living with only their mother were at or below the poverty line, creating a need for financial assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 03:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,222,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
6 out of 10 children in mother only households live in poverty and are on government assistance.
Welfare Benefits For Single Mothers | LIVESTRONG.COM
According to the U.S. Census, six of 10 children living with only their mother were at or below the poverty line, creating a need for financial assistance.
One researcher said this:
...Robert Rector, a researcher with the Heritage Foundation, said safety net programs have done nothing more than sustain child poverty, which is, in essence, single mother poverty. He said the solution is marriage.

"The welfare state has been about picking up the pieces from non-marital births, and it's not working," Rector said. "The reality is that you can't create a substitute father."
Figures show struggle worsening for single mothers - Houston Chronicle

That should make some feminists howl.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,148 times
I agree OP, but unless the government stops these handouts the situation will not go away. To the poster that said we should ban abortions, how would that help? Yes I agree, shows like "Teen Mom" do not help. IMO that show glamorizes teen moms

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM

25,832 posts, read 16,497,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Nationwide almost 41% of all births are to unmarried mothers, up from 5.3% in 1960 to 40.8% in 2010. In 2010 the vast majority of births to unmarried women was greatest among blacks (73%) and and Hispanic (53%) with Whites and Asians trailing at 39% and 17% respectively.

The greatest problem seems to be the implicatios that these births have on our government and our society:
Children born to unmarried mothers are more likely to grow up in a single-parent household, experience instability in living arrangements, live in poverty, ...have socio-emotional problems....are more likely to have low educational attainment, engage in sex at younger ages,....have a premarital birth,....(and) (A)s young adults,.....are more likely to be idle (neither in school nor employed), have lower occupational status and income, and have more troubled marriages and divorces than those born to married parents.

These women suffer many disadvantages compared to their married counterparts including lower incomes and education levels, and a dependence on welfare assistance. Single mother with children find it difficult to attract a successful male spouse due to already having a child from a previous relationship.
Births to Unmarried Women | Child Trends Databank[

The democrats must be licking their chops. A dynamo producing more government-dependent voters.
This situation has the potential to destroy the USA.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,451,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I agree OP, but unless the government stops these handouts the situation will not go away. To the poster that said we should ban abortions, how would that help?
I was being sarcastic, obviously. The same people who think we should end benefits to unwed moms also think we should be creating a lot more unwed moms.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This situation has the potential to destroy the USA.
Unwed mothers produce children, who in turn engage in sex earlier and produce more children,...who will produce more children,.......the majority of whom will be on the government dole.

Kind of scary when you do the math.....

Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I was being sarcastic, obviously. The same people who think we should end benefits to unwed moms also think we should be creating a lot more unwed moms.
So, you see no problem with the continuation of the cycle of unweds producing more unweds,....and all on taxpayers' dime?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,883,972 times
I live in Illinois where 54% of all births are on Medicaid and a huge percentage (more than half of those, likely almost all)are unwed mothers. It is a serious issue where women have babies with men who don't stick around then they get assistance, rinse and repeat. I have gone with a friend to get public aid and a huge majority were women with several kids, including kids with different father (this is obvious because the kids are different races). I used to go to a dentist that served low income (I wasn't low income but his office was near mine)and I would see women coming in with several different kids on welfare but they had their nails and hair done and drove a nicer car than mine. Meanwhile those who are truly needy get rejected for welfare because they don't have kids (in Illinois it's almost impossible to get assistance if you are childless or even married with kids). The welfare system is generous and we pay for housing, food (and the food amount is rather large for these families), utilities, phone, medical, education, cell phone, they were trying to pass a law giving them free cable, internet as well. they even get a gift certificate every month to do as they please! However if you are someone who played by the rules and fell on hard times they couldn't care less.

I am a staunch conservative on this and feel a child should be brought into a two parent home. I would never consider a man who had kids out of wedlock as I feel it's sinful. I blame the welfare mentality and the extreme feminists who feel a man isn't needed because guess what? HE IS NEEDED. I would never have a child without a HUSBAND.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,431,651 times
Democrat constituents, you can't reform them, their base would evaporate.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:24 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,451,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
So, you see no problem with the continuation of the cycle of unweds producing more unweds,....and all on taxpayers' dime?
Of course I see the problem. Why do you want to make it worse by encouraging even more births to unmarried women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies