Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
So are the 72% who think the country is headed in the wrong direction.
link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
SARAH PALIN WOULD BE PRESIDENT.

Lol... Cersei Lannister-lite
Mr. McCain would beg to differ with that, since he's still very much vertical and suckin' wind.

All we have to go on was his actions during the beginnings of the bank collapse late in the 2008 campaign. McCain suspended his campaign for several days, ostensibly to help lead the Republican efforts at damage control, but didn't do a damned thing except show up and silently listen during all the meetings.

He admitted that budget and govt. finances were weak points with him. I think that, if he had been elected, he would have allowed others to do all the work and would not have involved himself much. And it would have been disastrous.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
I like John McCain a lot, and I think under normal circumstances he would have made a very good president. The problem is that we're not in "normal" politics as usual mode. The teavangelicals have taken over the R party, they're radical extremists, and I don't trust them to do much beside walk the country off a cliff. If you question that, take a look at Kansas this year. The radical religious right controls the state there, and when more moderate elected officials stood up to them, the STATE PARTY ran more far right evangelicals against their own leaders in the primary. Who does that? There's zero room for diversity or differences of opinion. It isn't the republican party I grew up in--they're republicans in name only--and I have zero loyalty to a bunch of extremist nuts.

McCain was willing to at least attempt to stand up to them, but his choice of Palin as VP was a disaster. I think the republicans in the House would have run over him like a steamroller if he had won, and Palin would have gone rogue and publicly backstabbed McCain through the entire process. Now we have Romney, who WONT stand up to them (he flip flops whichever way the wind blows) and Ryan, the band leader for radical right wing extremists, as his running mate. Romney is probably a nice enough man, but he has zero backbone, and the likes of Paul Ryan, Grover Nordquist and the teavangelicals will be calling all the shots if he wins. That scares the living poop out of me.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Very convincing

This is from someone who'll repeat the same mistake of voting for Obama again.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein
I like the results! Employment has steadily risen. Obama had not quadrupled the debt, as Reagan did, and has not doubled it, like Bush did. His recovery plans are the only ones that have balance and do not favor only the ultra-rich.
Insanity is believing that the richest man who has ever run for President will totally abandon every thing he has ever learned and everyone he knows to help the working guy. He is not one of us, and never will be. Furthermore, he has offered nothing at all in any plan to help the United States get back on track. All we get is 'trust me.'
That's insanity for ya. The guy is nothing but an empty suit. The more you look, the more invisible he is.

And Einstein never said that anyway. If you're gonna quote him, at least find an actual quotation.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
And Einstein never said that anyway. If you're gonna quote him, at least find an actual quotation.
JT got pwned

Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I doubt anything would be better.

The deficit and debt would still be sky-high, because Republicans only care about those things when they're not holding the Presidency.

The economy would have sucked EVEN MORE.

There would probably be no financial reform enacted.

Healthcare would be failing fast, and your insurer could dump you for any long-term illnesses.

We'd probably have troops on the ground in both Iran and Syria, leaving our soldiers to die for a bunch of people who wouldn't turn them over if they were drowning in a puddle.

OR

McCain would have died from the stress, and

SARAH PALIN WOULD BE PRESIDENT.

Really, do we wanna take a chance on these guys?
you don't have a clue, nor do I or anyone else what would be the case if he were Pres..more than that, he isn't so your reasoning is a moot point...but thanks for giving us your personal opinion, that is all you have done...

oh, and taking a chance of those guys: what guys? Last time I checked McCain and Palin were not on the ballot. guph

Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You forgot that every country in the world would have lost respect for us, the auto industry would have been lost for good, and the draft would have been reinstated.
actually that has happened under this administration: talk to people who actually do business with some of the countries in the mid east, Asai and Europe...I don't know about Australia and New Zealand.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
link?
you aren't serious? You need a link? It has been all over the news in the past few weeks and months. Or if you want to just google and you will see for yourself. I think the last figure (a few days ago) was actually 69% but close enough....

Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
What if John McCain were President right now?

Would Osama bin Laden be dead? I don't know, would McCain have reopened the hunt for bin Laden like Obama did? Let's assume that he would have and that if he had been elected bin Laden would have been killed. I can tell you exactly what would have happened in that case. Sarah Palin, Sean hannity, and the rest of the rightwing would have given him full credit. There wouldn't have been any of this "anybody would have given that order" or "He was just following Bush policies" bull****. President McCain would have been praised to high heaven and lauded as a hero. It would also be asserted, by the entire rightwing, that if Obama had won bin Laden would still be alive. They'd be snide remarks about how Obama would have read him his rights and given him a civil trial.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you don't have a clue, nor do I or anyone else what would be the case if he were Pres..more than that, he isn't so your reasoning is a moot point...but thanks for giving us your personal opinion, that is all you have done...
Says the woman who thinks that rapes don't result in pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies