Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

From what i read in the link it sounds like students are not choosing to take the courses for those fields. I don't know what you can do if people do not want those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Personally I am tired of companies complaining about not being able to find workers. Anybody with a functioning brain can see how ludicrous this is. Remember the mcdonalds hiring fair, something like 1 million applied and more then half were rejected. It was quoted that using the statistics people had a better chance at going to harvard. I don't want to hear excuses anymore.
Meh. We have had two openings for fairly nice IT jobs - six figures for the right person, good benefits, the full enchilada - open for months. But all the entry-level jobs went overseas half a decade ago and new talent just isn't entering the field.

Sure, we get tons of applications, but not from anyone who's proven they're ready to take on the tasks and the responsibilities. I'm not giving the keys to a Fortune 500 company's infrastructure to a fresh-out-of-college graduate.

In the meantime, we're working the rest of the team like galley slaves and hoping to hell we'll get relief before burn-out sets in.

The problem is structural, it's deep-seated, and it's rooted in bad decisions made 5-10 years ago. It will take another decade before it rights itself.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlajordan2012 View Post
We lost our jobs due to Canada,Mexico, and China...going against the United States and outsourcing the manufacturing jobs.
Americans have lost jobs to more than just Canadians, Mexicans, and the Chinese. My last two employees were in the US on H1B Visas. Out of 19 applicants for the position, the two that were most qualified were not Americans.

Quote:
When the campaign was buy american....it meant buy american. The reason was our jobs would have stayed home.

They paid the Mexicans who worked for the Canadian companies who bought the companies from the United States only $2.00 an hour and we lost our jobs due to them not wanting to continue to pay American workers $15-22 an hour back in 1985.

We went to war with Mexico over this...during Clintons administration.
When the campaign was to buy American that was before American vehicles included Japanese components. It was before Mexican and Canadian trucking companies were used to ship US goods. It was also before education in the US became so bad that companies cannot afford to hire American workers.

Quote:
The plans for our future is education...white collar jobs..so folks education is the answer..

Forget working at plants..look for our society to have educated jobs..not day labor jobs.

They forget we still have low IQ folks in our society. We still need cashiers, taco bell workers..ect.

The employers harrass us out of our jobs around $12 an hour. So dont quit..get management fired from now on.
Good luck with that plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Personally I am tired of companies complaining about not being able to find workers.
Companies can find workers, just not qualified American workers. I do not care what their country of origin may be, if they can be legally hired and they are the most qualified I will give them the job. The rate I pay is based upon the position, not the person being hired.

A smart student will learn something about the real-world before choosing their educational career. If they do not obtain the marketable skills necessary to earn a decent wage, they have only themselves to blame, not their employer.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
U.S. Manufacturers Say There Aren't Enough Skilled Workers To Fill Job Openings

Clinton spoke about this last night. This is an important piece of the recovery puzzle. Why aren't we training these people? Romney wants more cuts to education? What is wrong with that picture?
My town has a Career Tech campus which trains workers for the rare times when a new manufacturer comes to town and needs skilled workers. Most recently, ASCO Industries, a European aerospace company wlll be coming in and expects to hire up to 600 workers. Otherwise, most of the time Career Tech trains people in various fields that don't require a college degree.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
"Imagine a country in which we were training our own scientists and engineers, instead of training scientists and engineers for other countries, so that they can kick our asses on the world economic stage?"

This doesn't make sense. If our training is good enough for them to go to another country and "kick our asses," why isn't it good enough for them to be employed here? It seems that a training program may not be tackling the root of the problem if the people beating us are getting the same training currently offered. It would seem that either we don't have enough people entering the training or that those that do choose to go elsewhere. Once again, this is something that's well intended, but may not address the issue. I admit I could be wrong because I'm only going by what's in this article.
The simple fact is that most of "those from other countries" are being trained here, in our colleges and universiteis, supported by our tax dollars.

Lets face it...these days a great many people don't have the drive and ambition to make it in a STEM program, and opt for "basketweaving" liberal arts degrees instead. Much easier and more "fun"...just not something that often leads to a career. What is a company that actually needs to produce something going to do with someone with an "art appreciation" degree?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
the problem is with the department of education and the NEA, and the teachers unions. they are the ones that are pushing a social agenda rather than actually teaching the things our children need to learn. we need to get back to what education in this country was in the 1950s where students had to pass, to move on to the next grade, and they learned real science, math, reading, writing skills, etc. these days the push is to socially engineer the kids to accept garbage like heather has two mommies, and other rainbow programs.

we also need to tell the parents when they want to sue the school system because their kid failed, to move them to the next grade rather than hold them back like they should, to get involved with their kids education rather than just depend on the schools. parents need to make sure the kids do their homework, among other things.

and we need to set the bar high and make the kids reach for the stars, rather than teach to the lowest common denominator. good student as can move along as quickly as they are able. poor students(skill wise) need to be given remedial educations to help them move along.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem is with the department of education and the NEA, and the teachers unions. they are the ones that are pushing a social agenda rather than actually teaching the things our children need to learn. we need to get back to what education in this country was in the 1950s where students had to pass, to move on to the next grade, and they learned real science, math, reading, writing skills, etc. these days the push is to socially engineer the kids to accept garbage like heather has two mommies, and other rainbow programs.

we also need to tell the parents when they want to sue the school system because their kid failed, to move them to the next grade rather than hold them back like they should, to get involved with their kids education rather than just depend on the schools. parents need to make sure the kids do their homework, among other things.

and we need to set the bar high and make the kids reach for the stars, rather than teach to the lowest common denominator. good student as can move along as quickly as they are able. poor students(skill wise) need to be given remedial educations to help them move along.
The late 1950s and 1960s also had the advantage of the Space Race, which radically changed education in the US. The "New Math" that was being taught included a heavy focus on computer oriented mathematics, such as teaching about the various Bases.

Of course all this happened before the NEA turned public schools into social re-engineering and indoctrination centers with the assistance of the newly created US Department of Education.

You apparently did not get the memo concerning the new PC vernacular: Children never "fail," they are merely "deferring success."

Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:

Clinton spoke about this last night. This is an important piece of the recovery puzzle. Why aren't we training these people? Romney wants more cuts to education? What is wrong with that picture?
It is because training doesn't come from book. It comes from experience. If reading book can replace experience, then the one with photocopies memory would be the highest skills (yes, with a S) of all.

When manufacturers said skilled workers, they are refer to people who experience. Since our government push people to college and at the same time implement minimum wage, no wonder we have no skilled works.

Let say everyone has a college degree, and all go to work in the office, and can someone please tell me who can I call if my roof is leaking?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:

Not just manufacturing. One of my laborers dad works for a large Boston Based materials company. They are looking for cdl drivers and cant bring on enough help. $20 an hr and no one wants it.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

Why aren't they training themselves? Why is it the government's job to "give" people a skill? I educated myself. If you want that job, get those skills.

Am I missing something? Increased funding to education won't give people those skills anyway. High school doesn't prepare anyone for a manufacturing job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies