Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM

46,816 posts, read 25,738,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I'll be fine, thanks.
Good, good. Finger-wagging is not to be taken lightly.

Quote:
Just curious: do you eat or drink while driving?
No. Messes up the car.

Quote:
Talk to passengers?
Depends on the situation. And having now read the study you're so proud of having , I do so with a fairly clear conscience, so thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,585,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You are not correct

I have a 20 minute drive from point A to point B

Scenario 1
I'm eating a hamburger between minutes 2 and 7 of my drive.

Scenario 2
I'm have a BAC of above .08 between minutes 0 and 20 of my drive.

A response is required at moment 12 of the drive.

In Scenario 1, I am not impaired at all.
In Scenario 2, I am impaired.

Of course, the response could be required between minutes 2 and 7. In that case I'd be impaired during both scenarios.

But, we don't know if or when a response will be required, so we must conclude that the situation that impairs us for a longer duration is more dangerous.
What is wrong with you? Response time is response time. That time can only be measured at the moment a response is required. Period. And that's the only claim that matters for our purposes.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,237,612 times
Quote:
What is wrong with you?
I tweaked my ankle a bit jogging today, but I'm ok otherwise.

Quote:
Response time is response time. That time can only be measured at the moment a response is required. Period. And that's the only claim that matters for our purposes.
You're absolutely not correct.

My response time with my eyes closed is infinite.

Which is more dangerous blinking or driving the entire time with my eyes closed?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,824,813 times
A fool talking on a cell phone pulled out of a side road and directly into my path while I was doing 55 mph on a country road. It's incredible that we both walked away from the crash, though both of our cars were totaled. I had to climb out through the backseat to get out of my car.

Sorry, Pilgrim, if that were me you would have gotten an earful as well. You certainly deserved it.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wow - it appears that WesternPilgrim was actually the victim here.
We have troops serving in Afghanistan. We'll be voting for President in two months. Innocent people are being killed by their government in Syria. People are wasting away in political prisons in North Korea.

But the OP got the ol' finger wag today so he's ticked.

Good to know his priorities.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,422,161 times
Better a MLS than a MRS (Militant Religious Scold).

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 PM

200 posts, read 165,261 times
Quote:
I keep forgetting about liberal reading comprehension issues. From the first paragraph: "She was many yards away and completely out of danger." This was not a near-accident.

Carry on.
We weren't there. All I know is that a similar situation happened to me. I realized that I was closer to the bicyclist than I realized because I was on a phone. No, I wasn't able to ascertain their political affiliation, religious views, sexuality, blood type, dietary habits, or any other thing from the encounter. I was able to ascertain that I was possibly too close for their comfort zone and possibly their safety. Lesson learnt and I moved on by trying to pay more attention to the road. It happens all the time in large metros, instead of profiling...(some of my friends "look" liberal, but are very conservative and vice-versa) just learn your lesson and move on. We all make mistakes, just admit it and move on.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM

200 posts, read 165,261 times
WP, we only have your side. We don't know how intense the conversation was. We don't know the true distance. We have a lot of missing data to actually agree with your post. We do know you were in a car on a phone failing to yield to a woman on a bicycle. That's all we can definitively agree with.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,861,831 times
We're "debating" with a male human being who does not think female human beings should be legally allowed to vote.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,585,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
WP, we only have your side. We don't know how intense the conversation was. We don't know the true distance. We have a lot of missing data to actually agree with your post. We do know you were in a car on a phone failing to yield to a woman on a bicycle. That's all we can definitively agree with.
That's the nature of the internet I'm afraid. You have to take my word for it or dismiss me as a liar. No skin off my nose either way.

There was no conversation. The woman and her bicycle were in a blind spot behind parked vehicles. The true distance - my best guess anyway - was around 15-25 yards. We weren't even close.

Yes, I could have and should have slowed down a little more at the yield line. No question there. But her reaction was comical. I've been on the other side of careless driver mistakes hundreds of times and don't react the way the MLSers react. I know people make mistakes and cut them lots of slack. But for the MLS, it's a moral outrage that I was talking on my cell phone, and it's a moral outrage that I failed to remember there's potentially an entitled low-carbon-footprint bicyclist behind every parked vehicle.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 09-06-2012 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies