Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Now let me see here............................
Just under 100,000 jobs gained and 30 straight months of job gains as opposed to around 800,000 jobs lost a month under the Republican's when Obama took office.................... Gains trump losses EVERYTIME.
FAIL.. Democrats held 100% of Congress when job losses were high, not Republicans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Right.

You're going to cast your vote for whomever you please. I'll be better off with Mitt Romney in the sense that February bonuses will be larger and my taxes will be lower, but worse off in the sense that the housing market will be softer overall.
So you cant tell me how removing money out of the economy makes it better, but you stand here and high 5 one for doing so..

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There is no "natural business cycle" when the American consumer is buried in debt. While the last three years may seem like a distant memory in the American consciousness (that's quite a few seasons of Idol, Football Night in America and Desperate Housewives, btw. Who can remember a financial meltdown with all those distractions?), some of you may recall that lenders were recalling credit card debt and home foreclosures were mounting. There was absolutely no consumer demand whatsoever to stimulate economic growth. Besides, when has the collapse of Wall Street and the freezing of global credit markets ever been part of our "natural business cycle?"
So are you suggesting Obama's stimulus provided the "demand" for the anemic job growth thus far? You do realize that we have a bankruptcy system where folks can discharge their debts and many states are no-recourse states when it comes to foreclosures. So while they may not be able to borrow anymore for a while their monthly debt payments are reduced or even eliminated. This money could be used for cash purchases and savings. In otherwords demand. See no Obama stimulus involved.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maabus1999 View Post
and the stock market will most likely be higher today. Cookie to the first person to point out why!
qe3

Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, let me get this straight....Texas, Ohio, Michigan, and Virgina, all had the highest amount of jobs produced in July...and those states have republican governors....

From your link

Texas: 17,800 jobs
Ohio: 11,000 jobs
Michigan: 21,800 jobs
Virgina: 21,300 jobs

Thanks bob, you just proved the states with Republican Governors are rocking on the job creation....
Maybe if I provide pictures for you...

U.S. Employment Growth by State | Visual.ly

or a comparison of a couple of States, one of which you ignored above.

California's Job Growth Outpaces Texas's - Businessweek

You know, there is a world of information out there if you want to actually know.

It's not a simple problem and there is no simple description. There is, however, some things to look at that would help understanding.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/11/news...owth/index.htm

Last edited by florida.bob; 09-07-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I plan to retire one day too.
The labor participation does not count people of retirement age or children. Duh.
http://economics.about.com/od/unempl...abor_force.htm

"Typically "working-age persons" is defined as people between the ages of 16-64. People in those age groups who are not counted as participating in the labor force are typically students, homemakers, and persons under the age of 64 who are retired."

Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Approx. 336,000 dropped out of the labor force completely in August alone. Only 63.5% of those of labor force age are currently employed.

Did you ever stop to think a big chunk of those numbers are people like me and my husband and many of our baby boomer friends, who recently just retired!.
Other friends of ours who aren't retirement age yet went back to school to do a different type of job. I have friend who is 54, she is in culinary school to be a chef. So you can't say 336,000 poeple just dropped out and that is because they can't find jobs, some of us WE DON'T NEED a JOB!!!!!!!!

Debbie

Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Not enough to account for population growth.

UE fell because of people dropping out of the labor force.
The Latest From Public Blames Congress, Not Obama, For Sour Economy

Didn't read past the OP since I know it would be a rightwing celebration for bad news for the Country

Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

You know, there is a world of information out there if you want to actually know.

It's not a simple problem and there is no simple description. There is, however, some things to look at that would help understanding.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/11/news/economy/jobs_population_growth/index.htm
So, I used your link and you get pissed....let me provide pictures for you! from the link YOU posted....

Now, with the link you provided....Job Growth by State | Department of Numbers

Why can't you stand behind your own link?
Attached Thumbnails
August jobs report....just 96,000 jobs added-link.jpg  

Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
[quote=chucksnee;25987466]
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/11/news/economy/jobs_population_growth/index.htm[/quote]

So, I used your link and you get pissed....let me provide pictures for you! from the link YOU posted....

Now, with the link you provided....Job Growth by State | Department of Numbers

Why can't you stand behind your own link?
Pissed? You lost me there. Perhaps just one number, 8.1%. Maybe I should stick to that level of depth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies