Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times

Advertisements

Light a candle for the 122 or so Americans that will die today because they didn't have health insurance coverage.

That's about 45,000 people a year.

I think about these people all the time. They never get any coverage on the news. Unless it's someone we know personally, we never find out their names or what they died from.

Light a candle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,328 times
Health coverage for all is a laudable goal, it's the execution that's troublesome. You simply cannot force, in four years, what other nations have taken decades to perfect, upon an infrastructure that isn't ready for it.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,868,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Health coverage for all is a laudable goal, it's the execution that's troublesome. You simply cannot force, in four years, what other nations have taken decades to perfect, upon an infrastructure that isn't ready for it.
True. Like most of our biggest problems, such as digging ourselves out of this deep financial crisis, it cannot be achieved in the short term. It will take an even, steady forward progress. But we can set it as a goal and start moving towards creating that infrastructure. As you point out, other countries have shown that it's possible.

Or we can take the other path, do nothing to address the millions who can't get coverage, block or obstruct or repeal any attempt at forward progress, and then throw our hands up and say it's an unsolvable problem.

I guess it all comes down to which destination we aim for.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Wonder what the ICD9 code for lack of health insurance is? I thought one died from a disease process or traumatic event.

Why would anyone die from lack of health insurance now that Obamacare is in effect? There are no more prexisiting conditions to deny coverage. Everyone is eligible for insurance now.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:35 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Why would anyone die from lack of health insurance now that Obamacare is in effect? There are no more prexisiting conditions to deny coverage. Everyone is eligible for insurance now.
Well for starters, people may not die from having a lack of health insurance but rather health insurance coverage for a particular condition. Anyone who's bought insurance before knows that you aren't exactly covered for everything.

You mentioned pre-existing conditions not being denied. Well, yes, they are still being denied but when the legislation takes effect what you are going to see is a different set of deductibles for various conditions. I'm sure that technically a $100,000 deductible still qualifies as coverage. I know what you're going to say next... "oh but $100,000 doesn't even buy you an aspirin anymore!" And that may be true. But good luck paying for the first $100k if you haven't got $100k. You'll be long gone before you meet your deductible and that's good news for the insurance cartels. The last thing in the world they would want is for you to survive your operation.

And the third point I'd like to make is even if someone has coverage now, doesn't mean they've had coverage in the past. It's possible they haven't seen a doctor in 30 years and just blew off warning signs and symptoms because they couldn't afford to have them treated.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
and dont forget to thank the government for raising medical expenses to the point that out of pocket payment for services has become imposssible for most.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:45 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:
Wonder what the ICD9 code for lack of health insurance is? I thought one died from a disease process or traumatic event.

There isn't one.

The closest thing we have is V60.2, inadequate material resources (poverty). I use it on every chart where a patient, insured or not, has been unable -- due to financial circumstance -- to either see a doctor for scheduled followup or necessary procedure, or cannot afford to fill a prescription, and where health is directly impacted from that circumstance.

I use it more often than I would like.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:49 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Well for starters, people may not die from having a lack of health insurance but rather health insurance coverage for a particular condition. Anyone who's bought insurance before knows that you aren't exactly covered for everything.

You mentioned pre-existing conditions not being denied. Well, yes, they are still being denied but when the legislation takes effect what you are going to see is a different set of deductibles for various conditions. I'm sure that technically a $100,000 deductible still qualifies as coverage. I know what you're going to say next... "oh but $100,000 doesn't even buy you an aspirin anymore!" And that may be true. But good luck paying for the first $100k if you haven't got $100k. You'll be long gone before you meet your deductible and that's good news for the insurance cartels. The last thing in the world they would want is for you to survive your operation.

And the third point I'd like to make is even if someone has coverage now, doesn't mean they've had coverage in the past. It's possible they haven't seen a doctor in 30 years and just blew off warning signs and symptoms because they couldn't afford to have them treated.
ACtually I buy my own health insurance and have yet to find a 100K deductible. High deductible plans are offered (and will be part of Obamacare by the way) and have deductibles of between 2K and 20K dependeing upon what premium you want to pay.

You do know you will be expected to pay approximately 10% of your income towards health insurance premiums under Obamacare don't you?

And in reality the best thing for the "insurance cartels" is Obamacare. They were given 30 million customers on a silver platter. Guess the contributions in 2008 to the DNC really paid off big time for them, huh?

Old 09-08-2012, 02:58 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,868,945 times
Quote:
ACtually I buy my own health insurance and have yet to find a 100K deductible. High deductible plans are offered (and will be part of Obamacare by the way) and have deductibles of between 2K and 20K dependeing upon what premium you want to pay.

You do know you will be expected to pay approximately 10% of your income towards health insurance premiums under Obamacare don't you?

And in reality the best thing for the "insurance cartels" is Obamacare. They were given 30 million customers on a silver platter. Guess the contributions in 2008 to the DNC really paid off big time for them, huh?
Democrats wanted single payer/universal healthcare model, but there was no way in hell the party of NO! was going to allow that, so we got what we could. I'm hopeful we can move towards that model in the future. In the meantime, the ACA addressed a lot of things that needed to be addressed. It's a good start, but by no means finished.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:

Citation, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies