U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
36,541 posts, read 37,544,346 times
Reputation: 57393

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Thanks for the link. I don't know how anyone can claim there's not a war on women going on. You sure don't see anyone trying to take rights away from men or to severely restrict their access to health care and fair pay for equal work.
Restrict what access to health care? Is that what we call baby murder these days? Healthcare? How is free contraception, healthcare, with free being the key word? Women have been whinging the equal pay for equal work lament since the 1970s? Got any examples. I'll help you out. Here's one:

No Equal Pay For Women In White House Despite Ledbetter Law - Investors.com

"When Katherine Fenton asked Obama what he intended to do about "women making only 72% of what their male counterparts earn," the question was based on a false premise and a false statistic — one calculated by Diana Furchtgott-Roth, senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, by comparing all male with all female workers, regardless of experience, productivity, number of hours put in or length of service. When you factor these things in, Furchtgott-Roth says, women make about 95 cents to a man's dollar, which may explain why, since the Ledbetter Act was passed in January 2009, only 35 women have filed lawsuits under the new law."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Stuck in NE GA right now
4,585 posts, read 11,787,508 times
Reputation: 6645
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ah yes, the war on women rages ....

The Top 10 Ways the #GOP has Declared a #WarOnWomen |
Thank you for the link!

Flipper has said he would sign a bill to repeal Roe v Wade if it could get passed in the sentate and congress
Ryan has cast 60 votes on legislation that were detrimential to woman thankfully they didn't pass
Lets not forget Akins comments on woman and rape - a real knuckle dragger
They want to defund Planned Parenthood, the only program for uninsured and poor woman to get healthcare like cancer screenings and cancer treatment etc. Since I'm currently one of these woman I use PP for my annual check up and mamogram, I couldn't afford it otherwise. I work full time now but I have no health insurance through my employer - a hospital no less.
This list is long.

Sigh, I've posted this over and over again, there is NO FREE BIRTHCONTROL...decades ago the INSURANCE COMPANIES realized that woman's preventative healthcare was a money saver and started including our annual physical exam (generally called a PAP but it's way more than that), IUD's and including covering BC pills on their prescription plans - Now all of a sudden the rightwingreligousnutjobs have decided they don't want that covergage for their female employees We pay for our insurance premiums, deductibles and co-pays...so it's NOT FREE.

Last edited by ReturningWest; 10-21-2012 at 08:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 AM
 
4,423 posts, read 6,819,091 times
Reputation: 10899
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Democrats thought they had two winning issues: Birth control and abortion rights. They thought those were the Number One issues on the minds of women in America ... women who vote!


I'm a woman and these are the issues that my friends talk about and post about on facebook. They're very important issues BECAUSE they're being threatened by a Neanderthal who'd like to take women back to the 1960's when they had no rights in this regard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,372 posts, read 8,681,921 times
Reputation: 7362
Assess to birth control is not just a woman's issue. We don't risk getting pregnant all by ourselves. And as long as insurance companies cover Viagra and penile pumps, they should also cover birth control.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM
 
4,428 posts, read 4,234,957 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Assess to birth control is not just a woman's issue. We don't risk getting pregnant all by ourselves. And as long as insurance companies cover Viagra and penile pumps, they should also cover birth control.
Have you ever thought about opening your purse and paying for a condom with your own money?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 AM
 
4,423 posts, read 6,819,091 times
Reputation: 10899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Have you ever thought about opening your purse and paying for a condom with your own money?
I've never thought of NOT opening my purse and paying for a condom with my own money. Why do conservatives think all everyone wants is a free ride? As a woman I want the RIGHT to abortion, the right to purchase birth control, equal pay for equal work, and everything else you penis-heads take for granted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,893 posts, read 12,768,255 times
Reputation: 9137
The only women who fall for that mindless 'war on women' crap are the same women who watch The Kardashians and think it's real.

Let's face it: The Kardashians, eva longoria spewing nonsense, whatever acting gig you can think of....it's ACTING. Clue: It's not real. It's hogging the camera for face time. No more, no less. And certainly not something a woman (or man) with an IQ over 45 would fall for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I've never thought of NOT opening my purse and paying for a condom with my own money. Why do conservatives think all everyone wants is a free ride? As a woman I want the RIGHT to abortion, the right to purchase birth control, equal pay for equal work, and everything else you penis-heads take for granted.
OK...I have to ask: Exactly WHO is preventing you from purchasing birth control. Names would be nice, but I can understand your desire to protect the stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 AM
 
4,423 posts, read 6,819,091 times
Reputation: 10899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The only women who fall for that mindless 'war on women' crap are the same women who watch The Kardashians and think it's real.

Let's face it: The Kardashians, eva longoria spewing nonsense, whatever acting gig you can think of....it's ACTING. Clue: It's not real. It's hogging the camera for face time. No more, no less. And certainly not something a woman (or man) with an IQ over 45 would fall for.
I wouldn't know a kardashian from an orangutan. Mr. Cooper, with a name like Dale I'm pegging you from the midwest, one of those flyover states, and you probably don't have any women where you live who even know what they want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,373 posts, read 112,908,220 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't see anyone trying to take women's rights to those things either. But I don't think I should have to pay for your birth control, or your abortion ("your" being in a general sense, not you personally).

On the so-called "equal pay" issue, the big problem comes when trying to define what is "equal work." This idea is not simply making sure a woman working in the same capacity (i.e. job description) is paid by the same pay scale as a man in that position. They wish to take it further, and try to compare jobs of different types, and skill requirements, etc. to come up with what constitutes "equal work." That opens up a huge can of worms, and will, as the writer states, only benefit lawyers who will file lawsuits on behalf of women claiming to have been harmed.
No federal funds have been used for abortion for about 40 years now. Insurance should treat all drugs equally. As far as equal pay for equal work, see this link:

Shortchanged: Why Women Get Paid Less Than Men - Businessweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Restrict what access to health care? Is that what we call baby murder these days? Healthcare? How is free contraception, healthcare, with free being the key word? Women have been whinging the equal pay for equal work lament since the 1970s? Got any examples. I'll help you out. Here's one:

No Equal Pay For Women In White House Despite Ledbetter Law - Investors.com

"When Katherine Fenton asked Obama what he intended to do about "women making only 72% of what their male counterparts earn," the question was based on a false premise and a false statistic — one calculated by Diana Furchtgott-Roth, senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, by comparing all male with all female workers, regardless of experience, productivity, number of hours put in or length of service. When you factor these things in, Furchtgott-Roth says, women make about 95 cents to a man's dollar, which may explain why, since the Ledbetter Act was passed in January 2009, only 35 women have filed lawsuits under the new law."
The contraception women want is NOT free; it is paid for by insurance premiums.
See my link above regarding equal pay for equal work. Here's a snippet from the link:
**In a 2007 article for the Academy of Management’s journal Perspectives, Cornell University labor economists Francine Blau and Lawrence Kahn wrote that even after adjusting for education, experience, race, industry, and occupation, women brought home just 91 percent of what men did. And they said that figure may understate the pay gap due to sex discrimination if women have been excluded from higher-paying opportunities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,893 posts, read 12,768,255 times
Reputation: 9137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I wouldn't know a kardashian from an orangutan. Mr. Cooper, with a name like Dale I'm pegging you from the midwest, one of those flyover states, and you probably don't have any women where you live who even know what they want.
Cute. Wrong, but cute. You know all about me by an internet forum user ID.

I rest my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I'm a woman and these are the issues that my friends talk about and post about on facebook. They're very important issues BECAUSE they're being threatened by a Neanderthal who'd like to take women back to the 1960's when they had no rights in this regard.
I don't know which is worse. Believing what eva longoria tells you or believing what you read on facebook.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top