Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Ironic, these are the same sorts of people who say that others are trying to squash their opinions by bringing race into a discussion. You don't end a discussion by saying someone is "pulling the race card" either.

Started this thread because I pointed out that in the service industry in Manhattan there tends to be a lot of look-ism and the less diverse a staff is, the more money there is to be made in that bar/restaurant/lounge/nightclub. That's just a fact. The only place I know that has a majority minority waitstaff in Manhattan is TGI Friday's, and everyone knows no one makes any money there. Also if you are black and have natural hair, you can kiss a lot of opportunity to make money in the industry goodbye.

Saying race has something to do with anything isn't "pulling the race card". I know that's how ignorant people like to squash discussion about truths that make them uncomfortable but try harder.

Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.
Ok, how about this one?

I know a girl that was going out with a mixed race bloke. He attacked someone, almost beat him to death, got arrested, but knew he would get off, just by accusing his victim of calling him names.

Our law makers need to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The big problem I see here is the same righty/lefty line that defines peoples views. As soon as you point out "typical nasty way some righties react" you've lost credibility with anyone who doesn't spin everything politically. There are as many racists on the left as on the right.

Political affiliation can't be, and shouldn't be, a point of contention when discussing racism.

I will say that after bashing the right, as being all racists, the left will then use their (conservatives) outrage (at such blatantly false accusations) as a reason they (liberals) are correct. So they accuse, cause outrage, then somehow connect that outrage as proof. Self-serving much?

Answer me this: When someone disagrees with President Obama, they are called racists. There are plenty of liberals who are completely at odds with his policies, and rightly so. Yet, because they are liberals, they aren't labeled as racists. Why?
The lefty/righty thing is something that simply Is. I know there are lefties guilty of the same sorts of actions as lefties, the thing is this thread attempts to point to lefties only and the righties for the most part rarely if ever admit that there are problems with their side of the issues. As many, no I doubt that, I base that on personal experience and watching peoples actions. Tell me who it is here that starts the vast majority of threads dealing with race and which group attacks and bashes other races the most frequently? I know of more than one poster here and people I know in the real world that have a major issue with his skin color, go ahead and try and tell me that is not true.
I am politically neutral for the most part; I am more of a Green Party thinking American than either of the two major Parties and have never belonged to either Party. What I do is deal with the issues on an individual basis and this topic is one that has been repeated many times here, personally I think it is an effort on the part of some to get people to not point out the obvious racist comments that are made by some here, that will not happen, make a racist comment and you will be labeled as one, don't make any and I and most people will not label you, it is just that simple. So if some want to make claims then they need to be able to back them up, if it happens here all the time then it should be easy to prove. Personally I think some here simply think it is cool to drag around a cross they tell other they are forced to carry when in reality it is they that made the crass and started dragging it around.
You just repeated the false claim I so often here, as with this thread. True, sometimes but rarely, people that simply disagree with Obama are called racist, but my experience is that most people are not labeled simply for disagreeing with him; the label normally gets applied when someone makes a racist comment. I have disagreed with Obama and not been labeled by the left or other moderates, know why, for one I have a history of zero tolerance for racists here and people do know where you stand, I also do not make racist comments so hence the label would not apply. I have been labeled as one but guess who it came from, you guessed it, the far right and racists themselves, I discount it as desperation on their part and move on.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:34 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
If Paul has a PBJ sandwich and cuts it in half two times, how many pieces does he have?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
4 pieces of death.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
4 pieces of death.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:34 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
I'm allergic to peanuts.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I'm allergic to peanuts.
Sorry to hear that. That's a bad allergy to have.

I'm just making a joking allusion to the thread about how people were calling the use of PBJ in classroom examples intead of pita, burrito etc. was "subtle racism". (true story, I wish I were making it up.)

I think that the bottom line is that rational people such as yourself wouldn't make a claim of racism unless it were well founded. In reality, as we all know there are a lot of irrational people out there. I just think there is a perception gap.

This goes both ways, people that don't have a racist bone in their body might have a hard time spotting racism because they just don't think that way.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
A lot of people play the pulling the race card crap, as a dis against those that may have a concern about a negative racially motivated behavior, but they (the ones that do what the OP is talking about), often, mean it basically as shut up, even though, there could be smoke there, about something negatively racially motivated.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
A lot of people play the pulling the race card crap, as a dis against those that may have a concern about a negative racially motivated behavior, but they (the ones that do what the OP is talking about), often, mean it basically as shut up, even though, there could be smoke there, about something negatively racially motivated.
Tawana Brawley thanks you for your contribution to the thread.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
And it's really aggravating and irritating to repeatedly hear the accusation of "racist!" when there is nothing even remotely racially motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies