Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Ironic, these are the same sorts of people who say that others are trying to squash their opinions by bringing race into a discussion. You don't end a discussion by saying someone is "pulling the race card" either.

Started this thread because I pointed out that in the service industry in Manhattan there tends to be a lot of look-ism and the less diverse a staff is, the more money there is to be made in that bar/restaurant/lounge/nightclub. That's just a fact. The only place I know that has a majority minority waitstaff in Manhattan is TGI Friday's, and everyone knows no one makes any money there. Also if you are black and have natural hair, you can kiss a lot of opportunity to make money in the industry goodbye.

Saying race has something to do with anything isn't "pulling the race card". I know that's how ignorant people like to squash discussion about truths that make them uncomfortable but try harder.

Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.

If, and I'm going to go with if, if this is happening and it's because of racism we already have laws in place to address it. If restaurant A is in an area that is 30% black with a corresponding number of applications but the staff is 3% black, we have laws to address that.

So there is one of two things going on here. It's not as presented or nobody actually cares. The business, those not getting hired, those who work there and most importantly, the government.

What do you suggest we do here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Nonsense on two levels. Firstly there are a ton of black people in customer service. I'm talking about the hospitality industry. Secondly, you're trying to say that the reason you won't see a ton of minorities working at places where there's money to be made in bars/lounges/nightclubs is because they all have attitudes???

Point made. Case rested.

There may be some obstacles if you are black in the hospitality industry. A lot more if you are ugly. I don't see ugly people complaining about discrimination near as much as blacks. Fight discrimination; tip that ugly waitress well.

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Where exactly are you getting your facts from?
From 5.5 years in the service industry, working everywhere from hotel bars, to lounges, to Hooters to sports bars.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

What do you suggest we do here?
Well, there's really little that can be done. I've worked at Hooters, I've accepted working in a looks based industry in general. I just hate when people act like truths aren't truths. There's a reason why I wear my hair a certain way, a reason I watch my weight. To keep myself hire-able.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Ironic, these are the same sorts of people who say that others are trying to squash their opinions by bringing race into a discussion. You don't end a discussion by saying someone is "pulling the race card" either.

Started this thread because I pointed out that in the service industry in Manhattan there tends to be a lot of look-ism and the less diverse a staff is, the more money there is to be made in that bar/restaurant/lounge/nightclub. That's just a fact. The only place I know that has a majority minority waitstaff in Manhattan is TGI Friday's, and everyone knows no one makes any money there. Also if you are black and have natural hair, you can kiss a lot of opportunity to make money in the industry goodbye.

Saying race has something to do with anything isn't "pulling the race card". I know that's how ignorant people like to squash discussion about truths that make them uncomfortable but try harder.

Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.
20 years ago sitting in college, we had a lady come to our campus giving a speech about how the US govt. created HIV to kill black people. One of my classmates went to her "lecture" and was talking about it in class. I was skeptical, especially since I had not heard the lecture, so I took the position of "I don't know."

This incensed my classmate who proceeded to rant at me about how I was racist.

I personally find false claims of racism to be worse, especially now that racism has mutated into this mystical thing where even referring to Obama being from Chicago has been called racism (true, we have a thread here about it).

Tell you what, stroll over to the first trayvon martin thread and you will see the white racists and the black racists duke it out....and many of the rest of us being caught in the cross-fire and being labeled racist alongside the real ones.

You are hearing so much about the race-card because it is used constantly. The word "racist" has jumped the shark.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
Is the OP criticizing the business owners and patrons? or is this just a general observation? and in this specific situation who exactly 'played the race card'?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are hearing so much about the race-card because it is used constantly. The word "racist" has jumped the shark.
Sure. That doesn't mean that you jump of the deep end of reality and deny that race is ever a factor in anything. Cause that's just as dumb as people who think it's a factor in everything.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
From 5.5 years in the service industry, working everywhere from hotel bars, to lounges, to Hooters to sports bars.

I've worked in the service industry in many of those same places as well as a truck stop over the last 20+ years and I have not seen "the facts" that you are stating. The amount of money made is the direct result of the quality of service given and the attitude of the one giving the service. It had nothing to do with their hair being the "right" texture for their race, the color of their skin or if their boobs and butt were showing more than the others. So I will continue to disagree with your "facts" as you state them and your logic when it comes to the "race card". I wish you the best of everything you deserve.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm sure a class action lawsuit will be coming suing all restraunts for not hiring natural haired minorities because they make more money by not hiring them.
Class action lawsuits are waged against large corporations. Not the average restaurant owner with 2 or 3 establishments. And I didn't say that no restaurants hire natural haired minorities. Those same places are likely to have a diverse waitstaff in general...which means there's no money to be made there. Please read what I say carefully.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I've worked in the service industry in many of those same places as well as a truck stop over the last 20+ years and I have not seen "the facts" that you are stating. The amount of money made is the direct result of the quality of service given and the attitude of the one giving the service.
Reading comprehension here is severely lacking. To make money in an industry, you have to get hired at a place that people make money. Truck stops no one makes money, that's why you'll see older and overweight people working there.

You have to consider I work in Manhattan and I make money. We are not talking Waffle House, Perkins, or truck stops.

The higher end of service industry in Manhattan isn't often just discriminatory to people because of their hair texture, they're discriminatory in terms of their weight and age. Race is just one of these factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There may be some obstacles if you are black in the hospitality industry. A lot more if you are ugly.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies