Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,328 times

Advertisements

Racism is a fundamental feature of American society. When I hear "don't pull the race card" fallacy, I interpret it as the following:

"I'm in denial and/or are utterly ignorant of American history, society, culture, and values and therefore I don't accept the basic premise that race ideology has anything to do with anything with the American experience."

Or, I interpret is as such:

"This is America and everyone is the same because that's what the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution says. If you suffer in this country, it's your own damn fault [i.e. laziness, shiftlessness, ignorance, anger, depression, sickness, mental illness, etc.]."

In any event, the "pulling the race card" fallacy is very similar to "we have to agree to disagree." It's meaningless other than representing that the person making either utterance is uncomfortable with the topic of discussion and wishes instead of continuing to disengage altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Reading comprehension here is severely lacking. To make money in an industry, you have to get hired at a place that people make money. Truck stops no one makes money, that's why you'll see older and overweight people working there.

You have to consider I work in Manhattan and I make money. We are not talking Waffle House, Perkins, or truck stops.

The higher end of service industry in Manhattan isn't often just discriminatory to people because of their hair texture, they're discriminatory in terms of their weight and age. Race is just one of these factors.

Agreed.
After looking over your pictures for the last 20 minutes, I have concluded that you shouldn't have any problem getting good tips, natural hair or not. I have also concluded that, regardless of your actually ability to perform your job, that you would still probably get tipped decently anyway.

Anyway, I haven't seen or noticed this trend to be based on race. Now, I don't know what it is exactly that your service job entails could you elaborate on that. Also, if the job field you are in focuses on looks and is high end, then maybe the patrons prefer a certain look and the establishment is obliged accommodate them. Does it make them racist? I don't think so. Discriminating, yes. But not racist. For example if I get a massage (a completely legal one at a spa), and I get a choice between a man or a woman, I'm going to pick a woman over the man regardless of how brutish she looks.

But outside of this particular subject, yes the phrase "pulling the race card" is highly abused. Surprisingly, it more abused than actually pulling the race card.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
This has zippo to do with what I'm talking about, your reading comprehension skills need a good dusting.
So are you talking about some industry where folks might care about people "look" - cause you referred to what I thought were bars and restaurants . . . and I couldn't care less if Bozo the Clown is my wait person as long as he does a good job.

Now, if you are talking about STRIP CLUBS, maybe the way someone "looks" has an effect on what "tips" they get.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
Geez for the umpteenth time, this isn't about how your looks pertain to how you get tipped.

It's about the hiring practices of many managers and owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post

Server/waitstaff jobs are usually dependent on tip-based services. Restaurants typically pay their employees less than minimum wage, and the employees are dependent on tips. Your complaint is about making less money in the service industry, which is often reliant on tips, and are blaming the color make-up of the staff for how much an employee is or isn't making.
I'm not complaining about how much money I'm making (I'm very happy that I luck out working at places I'm the only black chick on staff), I'm complaining about the fact that people won't acknowledge that the way the industry works in this city a) difficult for many minorities to get a job at a place where they have an opportunity to make decent money b) they have to alter their hair texture to conform.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
Geez for the umpteenth time, this isn't about how your looks pertain to how you get tipped.

I'm not complaining about how much money I'm making (I'm very happy that I luck out working at places I'm the only black chick on staff), I'm complaining about the fact that people won't acknowledge that the way the industry works in this city a) difficult for many minorities to get a job at a place where they have an opportunity to make decent money b) they have to alter their hair texture to conform.
People use the "dont pull the race card" because they wish to continue with the practice of racism.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension here is severely lacking. To make money in an industry, you have to get hired at a place that people make money. Truck stops no one makes money, that's why you'll see older and overweight people working there.

You have to consider I work in Manhattan and I make money. We are not talking Waffle House, Perkins, or truck stops.

The higher end of service industry in Manhattan isn't often just discriminatory to people because of their hair texture, they're discriminatory in terms of their weight and age. Race is just one of these factors.

Agreed.
Never worked in a truck stop huh? Trust me miss know nothing about truck stops, 2 hours in one truck stop makes more pure profit than you will ever see in one lifetime and that does not count the profit they make from coffee sales alone. When you get older and wiser and have less attitude and actually know first hand what you are talking about and your comprehension of the differences in each service industry then you can boast how knowledgeable, educated, hireable and in demand you really are.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:

Okay. There may be truth to your contention that managers and owners like to hire folks who they consider nice looking.

I am in marketing and we constantly search for images of people of color to represent the diversity our companies believe matches their demographic. We rarely use images that have a majority of caucasians in them.

I think managers and owners tend to select wait staff that they feel represents the clientele they are trying to attract.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think managers and owners tend to select wait staff that they feel represents the clientele they are trying to attract.
I think that this is a cop out and I already typed a response to a similar statement. Like I said, at one of my jobs there is an Irish bartender who used to work at a place I applied to. She told me I shouldn't have bothered because the Irish owner only hires Irish and Eastern European women. This is midtown by Penn Station. Do you think his clientele would give one hoot if there was a smattering of Hispanic or black waitresses in his mix? Give me a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post

Server/waitstaff jobs are usually dependent on tip-based services. Restaurants typically pay their employees less than minimum wage, and the employees are dependent on tips. Your complaint is about making less money in the service industry, which is often reliant on tips, and are blaming the color make-up of the staff for how much an employee is or isn't making.
Coffee sales? What is coffee, 2 bucks with unlimited free re-fills? What's 20% on that, 40 cents? I work at bars that charge $13-15 for one drink.

The industry I work in and the industry you worked in aren't even in the same ball park.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,979 times
Quote:

The following is purely anecdotal:
I know of one small business owner that has voiced concern about hiring minorities because of concerns that it becomes more complicated to administer discipline, provide constructive criticism/feedback, terminate employment (should that ever become necessary), and basically just run the business. Specifically the fear is that 'the race card' is too loosely played these days and the risk of getting sucked into a PR nightmare (if the business is ever accused of firing/disciplining a minority employee because of race) is real. The person saying this stated that they had seen this happen before - but that is just hearsay. I only bring it up as one possible reason for the phenomenon you refer to.

For what it's worth, this business owner does in fact employ minorities - I guess it is just one of many considerations on the table when it comes to hiring.

(finally, this is not one of those "a friend of mine ..." stories where it's actually me I'm talking about - it is really another person that I know)

Last edited by tyanger; 09-07-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I know of one small business owner that has voiced concern about hiring minorities because of concerns that it becomes more complicated to administer discipline, provide constructive criticism/feedback, terminate employment (should that ever become necessary), and basically just run the business.
Sounds like the rationale of someone who just doesn't want to hire minorities. Then accuse minorities who are cognizant of the attitudes of certain hiring manager/owners as "playing the race card" for their acknowledgment of facts.

Reminds me of when Mike the Miz said his uncle told him he couldn't hire black people because he had to protect their business cause they tend to be uneducated in his area. I bet you that very uncle likes to sit on his couch and complain about all the free loading unemployed blacks in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies