Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I dislike both, I just realize that people like you would realize that saying race has nothing to do with anything is just as retarded as saying that race has something to do with everything. Both equidistant ends on the retard scale.
People like me?

Firstly, being of mixed race, I take offence at both ends of the spectrum.

Secondly, if I were you, I'd start getting on a soap box for more moderation. The moderates haven't changed the game; the fringe extremists have.

I find it shallow for Democrats to exclaim that Republicans are racists, while in the same breath referring to them as Hicks and in-breeders. If they can't see their own hypocrisy (and couldn't care less anyway) then who are the racists, in reality?

Why doesn't someone play the reality card, and quit driving the double standard beer wagon.

We need moderates, on both sides, to rise up and stop this blatant insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
I can't really get what's going on here. Maybe it's a selective attention issue.

The clientele of just about everywhere in Manhattan is going to be majority white. Even though Manhattan is diverse, most of the people going out will be of European extraction. So it would make sense (in part) for the staff to be majority white (though if you parse it, not really, because the server pool should be more diverse than the people with money to go out), but that's not the issue. This isn't a question of proportionate representation throughout the industry, it's a question of why it seems that places where servers make money in the city are nearly entirely white and places where they cannot are diverse. I'm just asking to you to explain why a business owner would choose only hire Irish and Eastern European waitresses, because you're the one who told me that you had all this business/marketing acumen and now you're telling me who the hell knows. The majority of the clientele by Penn aren't Irish or Eastern European so you tell me what you think is going on. Simple phenomena have simple explanations.

You're expecting me to believe that the fact that there's a correlation between the amount of money that a waitstaff makes and the diversity (or lack thereof) of said staff is a coincidence? I thought you were the one with the answers. Anything to keep the blinders on. That type of obfuscation just convinces minorities that there is a race issue in this country. Why refuse to acknowledge the blantantly obvious.

Like I said, ascribing everything to race and refusing to ascribe anything to race are equidistant ends on the retard scale.
Sweetums, I tried my best to give you some theories. You just don't happen to like any of them.

But I can sure guarantee THIS: anyone who is so dismissive as to resort to name-calling, especially when people are sincerely trying to answer your questions, wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of working for me. OKAY? So regardless of what I CANNOT ANSWER FOR YOU - I can sure answer that one. Your attitude SUCKS.

Retard scale? I hate I wasted my time trying to seriously interact with you.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
It's about the discrimination in hiring practices. Many girls with natural hair would make great tips, if they had the opportunity to get hired at places they'd make money.
It's about having natural hair that they don't make any money.

That's what I'm getting out of this entire thread.

You are so superficial and insecure.

Black on the outside and black on the inside.

Scapegoating black and natural hair as the reasons why someone doesn't make good tips.

Get help.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sweetums, I tried my best to give you some theories. You just don't happen to like any of them.

But I can sure guarantee THIS: anyone who is so dismissive as to resort to name-calling, especially when people are sincerely trying to answer your questions, wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of working for me. OKAY? So regardless of what I CANNOT ANSWER FOR YOU - I can sure answer that one. Your attitude SUCKS.

Retard scale? I hate I wasted my time trying to seriously interact with you.
We both just found out that we are trying to reason with a child. Who has used the term "retard" since High School?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:

If you gave me a single theory outside of "who the hell knows", I'd do my best to entertain it, believe me.

Basically you vaguely said something about representation in reference to their clientele. Which I shot down on two levels because of its absurdity and asked for clarification. Then you came up with the "who the hell knows" rationale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Scapegoating black and natural hair as the reasons why someone doesn't make good tips.
And you wonder why I question your intelligence when a) this is neither the subject of this thread b) I and no one else said anything of the sort. This thread is about hiring practices. Google if you need help understanding what that means.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
I don't understand where your questions are coming from. Are you suggesting that people do not make racist claims/statements/premises? Actually, there are quite a few racist statements made on this forum daily. Perhaps the ones I see the most is that black people are somehow impure, violent, and the real racists, whereas, so it has been stated over and over on this forum that white people are pure, peaceful, and racially tolerant.

The point I was trying to make is that the "race-card" counterargument is really no argument at all. Rather, it represents peoples unwillingness, for the most part, to acknowledge the role of race ideology in American history, society, culture.
So what you are telling me is that no one should ever claim someone is making an illegitimate accusation of racism? Because that is just impossible?

So, Kanye doesn't win a music award and claims it's because of racism and we can't say he's playing the race card because there is real racism out there?

I honestly am just not following the logic of this.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We both just found out that we are trying to reason with a child. Who has used the term "retard" since High School?
Actually, it seems someone prominent used that word recently in an interview - can't remember who it was - but everyone jumped up their butt for doing it.

On the cultural sensitivity scale, I would give that response a big ole F.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
Like I said, ascribing everything to race and refusing to ascribe anything to race are equidistant ends on the retard scale.
You've typed the word retard more than once, which denotes a sense of superiority, yet you still can't manage to get to where you want to be? That's not an insult, but more food for thought. Mentally-handicapped individuals are at a much greater disadvantage than you will ever be. There are better jobs than the service industry.

Quote:
I have been in the marketing and advertising business since 1989. Prior to that, I was a newspaper editor.

So . . . prior to 89 - the images were all story related and you captured who was involved at that event - no control of who appeared in those images.

In 1989, my agency was primarily involved with healthcare, and one of the first things we discussed with all our clients was cultural sensitivity and making sure we reflected the face of the community, which at that time was mostly caucasian and african american, with about 7% Asian and a tiny % hispanic.

Since that time, we have become much more sensitive to including hispanic images, viewpoints, etc - as well as literature in both English and Spanish.

So the answer is - by 1989, industry standards were to reflect the face of your community. However, I knew that the industry was starting to embrace a dedication to that standard earlier in the 80s.
Standard of [false] diversity, or standard of actual, factual, story-related material? It's sometimes hard to decipher what's forced diversity, and what's real, in the so-called "white-majority world" in the race game.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
You've typed the word retard more than once, which denotes a sense of superiority, yet you still can't manage to get to where you want to be? That's not an insult, but more food for thought. Mentally-handicapped individuals are at a much greater disadvantage than you will ever be. There are better jobs than the service industry.
I obviously work in the service industry because I enjoy it. I obviously have the level of education to be readily equipped in a lot of different fields. That however is beside the point. If someone says something imbecilic or nonsensical I'm going to call them out on it.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Ironic, these are the same sorts of people who say that others are trying to squash their opinions by bringing race into a discussion. You don't end a discussion by saying someone is "pulling the race card" either.
You don't start a discussion by using the race card either.

Quote:
Started this thread because I pointed out that in the service industry in Manhattan there tends to be a lot of look-ism and the less diverse a staff is, the more money there is to be made in that bar/restaurant/lounge/nightclub. That's just a fact.
"Look-ism" - euphemism for "race-ism"?

Quote:
The only place I know that has a majority minority waitstaff in Manhattan is TGI Friday's, and everyone knows no one makes any money there.
Working in a joint that has entrees for 12 bucks or under I guess you'd have to hustle around like lightning to make 50 bucks in tips in an hour. Time to think about upgrading to a real 3+ star restaurant and get out of the snack bars.

Quote:
Also if you are black and have natural hair, you can kiss a lot of opportunity to make money in the industry goodbye.
Of course, that's it. It's about her/his hair, or his skin color. That's why they don't make good tips. I suggest you have plastic surgery on your body and hair surgery on your head. That will help you make good tips!!!

Quote:
Saying race has something to do with anything isn't "pulling the race card".
Yes it is.

Quote:
I know that's how ignorant people like to squash discussion about truths that make them uncomfortable but try harder.
Oh yes exactly. Is Narcissism a subject you avoid like the plague?

Quote:
Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.
Quote:
It's about the discrimination in hiring practices. Many girls with natural hair would make great tips, if they had the opportunity to get hired at places they'd make money.
Wash, rinse, repeat... Race card, race card, race card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies