Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,609,612 times

Advertisements

The ten states with the highest suicide rates are:

Montana 22.5
Alaska 20.5
Wyoming 20.4
Idaho 19.7
Colorado 18.7
New Mexico 18.7
Oregon 16.8
Arizona 16.1
Utah 16.1

What do you think is going on here?

Here's my take. These are all western states with libertarian streaks. Settled by adventurers and pioneers in the not-too-distant past, the ethos of rugged individualism lives on in this region. And with the exception of Utah, they all have very low rates of religious observance. It seems likely that extended families are the weakest here, for a number of reasons - just a hunch. It seems likely that the population is comparatively transient in this region - also a hunch. Restless and rootless people, trying to make it entirely on their own, without even a coherent religious faith to see them through hard times. Not a recipe for happiness, it seems.

Or is this analysis all wet? You tell me.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 09-07-2012 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Here's another theory, which might explain Utah, but doesn't do much for the rest in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
coherent religious faith
The only coherent faith is the one that each of us gleans from our own investigations. All the rest is a lie. And there are enough Bibles printed for any person to pick up one for themselves and begin that investigation. Coherent religion is unrelated to the suicide rate.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernpilgrim View Post
or is this analysis all wet? You tell me.
yes!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
Maybe it's because they all have mountains that people can jump off of.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
yes!
Why?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 PM

1,403 posts, read 938,216 times
Am I the only one that thinks Pilgrim is just a bit extreme? Lol....

Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM

629 posts, read 946,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Here's my take. These are all western states with libertarian streaks. Settled by adventurers and pioneers in the not-too-distant past, the ethos of rugged individualism lives on in this region. And with the exception of Utah, they all have very low rates of religious observance. It seems likely that extended families are the weakest here, for a number of reasons - just a hunch. It seems likely that the population is comparatively transient in this region - also a hunch. Restless and rootless people, trying to make it entirely on their own, without even a coherent religious faith to see them through hard times. Not a recipe for happiness, it seems.

Or is this analysis all wet? You tell me.
I would explore this hypothesis: "It seems likely that extended families are the weakest here, for a number of reasons - just a hunch. It seems likely that the population is comparatively transient in this region - also a hunch." by using actual available data rather than hunches as hunches are significantly less reliable.

This report on transiency actually supports the transient hypothesis, to the extent that many of these states are among the most transient. (warning: PDF) -- this is correlation, of course, not necessarily causation.

My challenge to you is to find some data to find out if extended families are weaker here. Of course, you'll need to define what you mean by weaker.

Since the chief reason for suicide is depression or other mental illness, you'll have to account for that too.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I would explore this hypothesis: "It seems likely that extended families are the weakest here, for a number of reasons - just a hunch. It seems likely that the population is comparatively transient in this region - also a hunch." by using actual available data rather than hunches as hunches are significantly less reliable.

This report on transiency actually supports the transient hypothesis, to the extent that many of these states are among the most transient. (warning: PDF) -- this is correlation, of course, not necessarily causation.

My challenge to you is to find some data to find out if extended families are weaker here. Of course, you'll need to define what you mean by weaker.

Since the chief reason for suicide is depression or other mental illness, you'll have to account for that too.
Thanks for a thoughtful and challenging response to the OP. Obviously, hunches are just hunches, but not all hunches are created equal, and in this case I'm fairly confident about mine. But you're right, hard data is much better, and when I have more time to kill I may tackle the challenge.

By extended families being "weaker", I mean that they are not as able or willing to serve as a safety net for individuals who need them. Here in the west (I consider upstate CA to be culturally aligned with these ten states), I think there are several factors at play: 1) extended family members tend to live far away from each other, which goes hand-in-hand with the transiency of the region which you have confirmed; 2) families are weaker in general. Half of these states have divorce rates in the double-digits, and the other half could be explained by higher rates of cohabitation (which lowers the divorce rate per capita because fewer people marry at all); and 3) because of the west's ethic of individualism, people are less likely to ask family members for help, or even to offer it.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Maybe there are an inordinate amount of bullies residing in those states thus causing folks to commit suicide rather than face the bullies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies