Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM

990 posts, read 939,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Illegal pot has no taxes, no record keeping, no permits and no government intervention. And the idiots in government (like Obama) can save face by saying they oppose pot.

Maybe we should just give up on legalization and enjoy our pot as it is..... plentiful, cheap, easy to find, good quality and NO government regulations.

Maybe the medical pot experiment has failed... and that's a good thing.

Medical pot returning to underground - latimes.com

Or we can legalize it, and earn BILLIONS in tax revenue for the country, cripple criminal gangs, provide thousands of AMERICAN jobs (not only as growers, but as administrators, salespeople, marketing associates, HR reps, etc.)...

Seriously, anyone who thinks it should be illegal is either a dealer or an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Illegal pot has no taxes, no record keeping, no permits and no government intervention. And the idiots in government (like Obama) can save face by saying they oppose pot.

Maybe we should just give up on legalization and enjoy our pot as it is..... plentiful, cheap, easy to find, good quality and NO government regulations.

It is a good thing for the Drug Dealers, they are the only ones who truly profit here.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM

990 posts, read 939,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Pot makes you stupid.....I am old enough to see life time users...and none of them benefit from chronic use...I smoked the stuff for 25 years and now won't go near the garbage....Unless my judgement is impaired by alcohol and then I might take a puff...Studies have shown that in the stuff causes damage to the young developing brain- Pot heads now will be cleaning the toilets of young Asian math students once they go into the work force and establish themselves- Muslims don't smoke dope either...Dumb "it's natural" types will end up slaves to those with a sober and intact mind.

So?

Does that mean that mature adults aren't capable of handling the responsibility of pot?

Does that mean that you don't think that eating crappy foods cause long-term damage?

Does that mean you don't think that drinking alcohol causes long-term damage?

Cigarettes?

How about the long-term mental damage caused by indoctrination to religion and the continued brainwashing in those churches?

I find that all of those are much more problematic to this country than some stoners who get a little dumb when they blaze up. Alcohol, Cigarettes and fatty foods cost us BILLIONS in health-care because those people can't control themselves. Pot smokers tend to be healthier (outside of their pot-smoking habits) and tend to be less of a drain on our health-care system than those people.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
You just listed all the reasons I support decriminalization and not legalization.
Decriminalization Now.

I was just reading about Paul Michael Glaser and his legal problems caused by "an anonymous phone call" in Kansas. Geeze. I can't believe police respond to anonymous phone calls about smelling marijuana in the first place.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
It is a good thing for the Drug Dealers, they are the only ones who truly profit here.

But if we legalize it we will have to deal with the government and they are worse than drug dealers. They have more guns.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,826 times
Pot should be like beer and wine. Legal age 21, don't smoke and drive. Period.

I have read that the prisons would be half empty if it weren't for all the drug arrests.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,536 times
Quote:
But if we legalize it we will have to deal with the government and they are worse than drug dealers. They have more guns.
I think the gov. is actually some pretty good drug dealers. One case in point is the many GIs who returned from WWII or the Korean War hooked on paregoric or morphine thanks in part to the federales putting the stuff in the typical combat kit (and of course, GIs having been shot or maimed and actually needing the stuff to relieve pain). If I were a GI during either of those wars, I'd have been using all of my morphine allowance before I ever stormed the beaches of either Iwo Jima or Inchon. F that doo-doo. I'd have been high as a kite and taken a bullet rather than go through hell and have to come back home and deal with the federales taking away all our freedoms.

Sarcasm aside, the federales are rather lenient in regulations, especially with advertising, Patron couldn't make their swanky ads without government condoning it. Moreover, the government FDA is staffed by the pharmaceutical industry, which effectively has control of the government regulators. Who is to say that if marijuana were legalized, mass produced and distributed, you wouldn't have a powerful weed lobby being in charge of the regulators.

This argument that weed quality would go down with legalization is bunk. If that were true, then with alcohol legalization, we'd still be drinking rot gut and other bathtub brew because the government wants the quality to be bad--well I think we know this is definitely NOT the case with alcohol. Further, with weed legalization, people would continue to grow it in their basements, producing some really quality stuff. Mass produced stuff would have to meet this quality because it's the free market principle, right? Few would buy mass produced weed legally if they could grow good strains at home or buy it form their neighbor who has the know how.

On the state level, however, regulations would be stiff. Some counties would continue to keep it illegal and use their jack booted thugs to try and eradicate it, especially in the deep South states. It will likely never be legalized in this country, but it will be a cold day in hell before the southern states legalize it. An example that underscores my point is Mississippi, where alcohol on the state level is technically prohibited, but the state allows local option. It'd be the same deal with marijuana legalized nationally. Some states like those in the deep South would make it a local option kind of thing and where it was not voted in (which would be most local communities), its prohibition would be strictly enforced.

This is all moot because weed will never be legalized in this country. The only thing that would change minds would be if it's more profitable to legalize it than to keep it illegal. And right now, whether its jail time, turnkey fees, hefty fines, or just tickets, the feds, staties, and local yokels are making dough off of its illegality. Further, it's a political ploy used by just about every politician on this side of the Pecos. They get up in front of their podiums with the cameras a'rolling, hollering "wage war on those tokers!" and the old people die-hard voters who vote in every local election cast their vote for the candidate who's "tough on drugs."

The United States federal government and the country as we know it will cease to exist before weed is ever legalized. Decriminalization is another matter, but that will be un-uniform from local area to local area, and in most places it'll still land you a ticket--making that quarter bag that usually costs $140 form some good dank about $500 (and the cops will take your dank, and probably smoke it themselves).

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
I think the gov. is actually some pretty good drug dealers. One case in point is the many GIs who returned from WWII or the Korean War hooked on paregoric or morphine thanks in part to the federales putting the stuff in the typical combat kit (and of course, GIs having been shot or maimed and actually needing the stuff to relieve pain). If I were a GI during either of those wars, I'd have been using all of my morphine allowance before I ever stormed the beaches of either Iwo Jima or Inchon. F that doo-doo. I'd have been high as a kite and taken a bullet rather than go through hell and have to come back home and deal with the federales taking away all our freedoms.
They have access to the good stuff but I'm not sure that makes the Feds "good drug dealers". They set the rules and you have to play by their rules or get shot and they have more firepower than any local drug dealer.

Quote:
Sarcasm aside, the federales are rather lenient in regulations, especially with advertising, Patron couldn't make their swanky ads without government condoning it. Moreover, the government FDA is staffed by the pharmaceutical industry, which effectively has control of the government regulators. Who is to say that if marijuana were legalized, mass produced and distributed, you wouldn't have a powerful weed lobby being in charge of the regulators.
My guess is that it would end up like alcohol with a few distributors in each area making a killing and controlling distribution. Government controlled alcohol distribution is no different than illegal drug distribution except that alcohol is legal. "The Man" controls the distributors in both cases.

Quote:
This argument that weed quality would go down with legalization is bunk. If that were true, then with alcohol legalization, we'd still be drinking rot gut and other bathtub brew because the government wants the quality to be bad--well I think we know this is definitely NOT the case with alcohol. Further, with weed legalization, people would continue to grow it in their basements, producing some really quality stuff. Mass produced stuff would have to meet this quality because it's the free market principle, right? Few would buy mass produced weed legally if they could grow good strains at home or buy it form their neighbor who has the know how.
I think weed quality would go up and we would have a huge number of choices just like with alcohol and cigars. We would have high quality and low quality and degrees of potency and various flavors.

Quote:
On the state level, however, regulations would be stiff. Some counties would continue to keep it illegal and use their jack booted thugs to try and eradicate it, especially in the deep South states. It will likely never be legalized in this country, but it will be a cold day in hell before the southern states legalize it. An example that underscores my point is Mississippi, where alcohol on the state level is technically prohibited, but the state allows local option. It'd be the same deal with marijuana legalized nationally. Some states like those in the deep South would make it a local option kind of thing and where it was not voted in (which would be most local communities), its prohibition would be strictly enforced.
I don't agree that Southern states would be more stringent. If you look at alcohol laws by state, there are a lot of states outside of the South with very restrictive laws. In NY, Rhode Island, WY and others, you can't sell wine in a grocery store but you can in GA, AL and SC. In PA, grocery stores can't sell any type of alcohol.

I think Southern social conservatism is a myth.

Quote:
This is all moot because weed will never be legalized in this country. The only thing that would change minds would be if it's more profitable to legalize it than to keep it illegal. And right now, whether its jail time, turnkey fees, hefty fines, or just tickets, the feds, staties, and local yokels are making dough off of its illegality. Further, it's a political ploy used by just about every politician on this side of the Pecos. They get up in front of their podiums with the cameras a'rolling, hollering "wage war on those tokers!" and the old people die-hard voters who vote in every local election cast their vote for the candidate who's "tough on drugs."
Agree.

Quote:
The United States federal government and the country as we know it will cease to exist before weed is ever legalized. Decriminalization is another matter, but that will be un-uniform from local area to local area, and in most places it'll still land you a ticket--making that quarter bag that usually costs $140 form some good dank about $500 (and the cops will take your dank, and probably smoke it themselves).
Political pressure can bring about changes. Huge changes have occurred in this country because the people demanded them.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Don't think the alcohol and Big Pharma lobbies don't have a hand in fighting that.

Oh they do. Most people that drink AND smoke weed occasionally would probably quit drinking completely. I know if pot were made legal, I'd stop drinking, and I only like beer.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:

Sorry Roadking. I understand where you're going, but on principle I have to disagree with you. It should never have been made illegal in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies