U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,929,114 times

Advertisements

When statistically, there is less murder, less crime all around, globally speaking, and less death from war?

Why is there this concept that 'back in the 80s, we didn't have to lock our doors at night', or 'kids could walk home without being kidnapped' etc? Is it just ignorance of the facts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,141,370 times
Never bet against america!!!! Forward

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 PM

12,712 posts, read 12,615,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Why is there this concept that 'back in the 80s, we didn't have to lock our doors at night', or 'kids could walk home without being kidnapped' etc? Is it just ignorance of the facts?
Yes, and an ingrained habit people have of repeating crap they heard somewhere without checking into it or considering it.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,457,203 times
Well because it is. I often double check myself on various ventures. I check on the crime data,etc. before a trip to a specific area. A significant number of checks come back with warning on crime activity. It seems the government and media downplays the amount of crime that is actually there. I now also some areas of the country just simply do not report crimes. A little digging will unearth a more true crime report.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 PM

16,213 posts, read 9,506,363 times
Mostly because they are crazy LOL!

Naw, really it is just because of the media influence in our lives. Back in the day when crime was horrible, we weren't as "plugged in" to what was going on every minute of the day. People are bombarded with horrible crimes happening minute by minute and as such think that crime is this country is out of control.

IMO, since I remember the 80s and all the freaking gang violence that used to go on, that decade and the 90s were out of control. Things are tame by comparison now. My dad says the 70s was worse but from all the gang crap I saw, I would say mid 80s through mid 90s was the worse crime wise in the 20th century.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,606,325 times
Street gang crime has I think gone down. People finally learned that letting the kids, teenagers and young adults hang around on street corners even when not doing anything wrong leads them to feel they own that corner. That leads to feeling they own the neighborhood and forms gangs. So as far as gang crimes go I think they have gone down some but still exist. I've been told the 50's were much safer as far as crime and murder. I think what makes it worse today is the heinous acts done when criminals commit murder and the growing trend of teens committing so much more violent dispicable crimes today and young children are becoming more violent. I think those statistics leave out more than we realize.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,622,152 times
Quote:
When statistically, there is less murder, less crime all around, globally speaking, and less death from war?

People always think the past were more prudent, that kids respected their elders and that people respected the president.

I actually once wrote an essay on this very subject. It is a strange phenomenon. Wish I could take the time to show you. The people of the 1920 were in many ways much more progressive than we are now.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 AM

25,683 posts, read 18,833,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Mostly because they are crazy LOL!

Naw, really it is just because of the media influence in our lives. Back in the day when crime was horrible, we weren't as "plugged in" to what was going on every minute of the day. People are bombarded with horrible crimes happening minute by minute and as such think that crime is this country is out of control.

IMO, since I remember the 80s and all the freaking gang violence that used to go on, that decade and the 90s were out of control. Things are tame by comparison now. My dad says the 70s was worse but from all the gang crap I saw, I would say mid 80s through mid 90s was the worse crime wise in the 20th century.
Agreed.
The era of the crack epidemic was the worst.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM

25,838 posts, read 15,397,777 times
Quote:

We live in the present and we forget about the past. The world is, and always has been, dangerous. At least we don't have kids doing the "stop, drop, and cover" drill like they did when I was a kid or having 18-20 year old neighborhood kids just "disappear" after going to Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies