Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

I see the liberals are over on another thread talking about someone killing cats and it is so horrific to them.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Wayland Woman.......I have no idea what post you're talking about but it needs to be said that the OP---teen or not---is tackling a very adult subject and is very well versed in Right-to-Life dogma. Why must people treat her with kid gloves? She shows no empathy for the women at Planned Parenthood---can't really, because she hasn't had enough life experiences to understand even the simplest concept like the fact that women go to PP for dozens of other reasons other than abortions. Its' time for her to learn there is more than one side to the coin she is playing with when she wades into the issue of reproductive rights.
This is what was said......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
AWESOME!

I can't go for a hundred, but by golly, what a wonderful idea!

Monday is pay day and I can most certainly donate something.

Did you do that on-line?

What a wonderful idea! For anybody who can even donate $5.00 or $10.00, in the OP's screen name, are you in?

Then she can "cry" and "not eat" for all the fetuses that are being aborted......in her name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
If a person is old enough to post in CD...fair game....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Are you for real?

And for the record, the OP has no problems dishing it out, and if she wants to "play" on a big person board, and discuss topics that are obviously way above her maturity level, then she better be prepared to take it.
She doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves she is here to debate.........your post sounded like a mean spirited women.......... it was very disrespectful, to bad others didn't see the sick part of what you were saying.

Instead you assumed the OP needed to be handled kindly, after all she thinks she's helping, she's not looking at what she did as harming others, explaining "Why this would infringe on others" would be more helpful................this quote actually sounds like a punishment from some olé' sour puss women....

Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is what was said......................

She doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves she is here to debate.........your post sounded like a mean spirited women.......... it was very disrespectful, to bad others didn't see the sick part of what you were saying.

Instead you assumed the OP needed to be handled kindly, after all she thinks she's helping, she's not looking at what she did as harming others, explaining "Why this would infringe on others" would be more helpful................this quote actually sounds like a punishment from some olé' sour puss women....
"Mean-spirited is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's mean-spirited to take part in groups that pray/intimidate people going into Planned Parenthood. You think it's mean-spirited to---heck if I can figure out exactly what you're saying is mean-spirited. Your sentence structure is very difficult to follow. And by the way, that was NOT my post you highlighted and said contained a "sick part".

Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
My first wife was one of those who had an abortion in the back alley, second floor place in 1960 and she never did fully recover from what she considered murder. She had just started to college and would never have finished if she had to support a baby from a one nighter. I was always glad she did had the abortion because I never would have met her when teaching in the same school, 4 years later. Poor woman is now 70 years old and still not able to accept what she did. I suppose she is the only one that ever turned out like that, though.
That is a terrible thing to have to live with that guilt. Many, many illegal abortions were performed on young women before RvW made abortion legal. Many of those young women became sterile from botched abortions, which they then had to live with for the rest of their lives.

Many pro-choice advocates oppose overturning RvW just to prevent the safety and emotional issues that cannot be addressed by back street abortions. Keeping it a safe procedure benefits anyone that has to make that choice at a younger age, and with the alternatives doctors offer and the available counseling and other alternatives it may actually reduce the # of abortions overall. Or, at least lessen the emotional and physical scars that can be left by an illegal procedure.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM

629 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If you need something with which to enlighten that moron . . .

"Sadly, the case of Galit Schiller is all too familiar in the United States, where, in spite of access to the best medical care in the world, the rate of maternal death related to pregnancy or birth almost doubled between 1990 and 2005.

The cause of death varies from woman to woman. Some result from infection, some hypertension, some septic shock, and some amniotic-fluid embolism, a complication in which amniotic fluid or other matter re-enters the mother's bloodstream, triggering a reaction that can result in cardiorespiratory arrest and hemorrhaging. In one chilling coincidence in 2007, a New Jersey town witnessed the death of two friends, Valerie Scythes and Melissa Farah, teachers at the same school who gave birth at the same hospital and died of childbirth-related complications within two weeks of each other (reportedly of a blocked blood vessel and internal bleeding, respectively)."

Read more: Death in Childbirth - My Wife Died After Giving Birth - Harper's
A lot of maternal mortality happens unexpectedly to previously healthy women. My (young, healthy) sister had pain before her first was born and the doctor told her to take Maalox for gas. She turned out to have HELLP syndrome which was only discovered when she reported to L&D for a scheduled induction. Fortunately she recovered and has been able to have 2 other children without a recurrance, but HELLP syndrome is freakin scary and life-threatening and if she hadn't had that induction scheduled Lord knows what could have happened. Also had a cousin in law nearly die of ruptured placenta. But it does occur to me that a lot of the pregnancies where doctors recommend abortion are probably very high risk from the start for other reasons--late in pregnancy complications and complications of delivery are not usually predictable in the 1st trimester.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Wonder what kind of soldier HeyJude would be??? Kind of strange HeyJude would think Christians would be Taliban like, when in realty the Taliban kill their own children and never think twice about it. They also don't take the responsibility for taking care of their women.......the Taliban covers up their women while some on the left enjoy/encourage exploiting women.

If women knew they had to pay for abortion lot less would happen. If men were held responsible for unwanted children.......... less of them would engage in having sex with no consequences.

Maybe, maybe not. But it's the child who suffers when the mother has them but doesn't want them.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Wonder what kind of soldier HeyJude would be??? Kind of strange HeyJude would think Christians would be Taliban like, when in realty the Taliban kill their own children and never think twice about it. They also don't take the responsibility for taking care of their women.......the Taliban covers up their women while some on the left enjoy/encourage exploiting women.

If women knew they had to pay for abortion lot less would happen. If men were held responsible for unwanted children.......... less of them would engage in having sex with no consequences.
You're absolutely right, I am not a Christian soldier. I left the Church behind decades ago after seeing the damage it wrought on my mother and many other women. I have no desire to live in a theocracy, which is what the fundamentalist evangelical far right, who is in control of the GOP right now, would love to institute. That is what I consider the American Taliban, as they would have these decisions taken out of the hands of women and impose forced conformity with their dogma.

I'm sorry if that term offends you. Their agenda offends me.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 PM

629 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I don't disagree that my friend made her own choice to follow the priests rather than listen to what her doctors were telling her. And that's what I am so angry about. A bunch of old MEN who cared more about the well-being of a zygote who was not going to survive birth than seven children who were alive here and now, and who needed their mother. It was more important to leave those children motherless than terminate a doomed pregnancy. YOU seem to think this is just fine and dandy. I'm sure those seven kids would disagree.
No one is saying it's "fine and dandy."

I personally think the Catholic Church has a lot to answer for in this area. But having legal abortion does not prevent these tragedies.

Trusting women to make the best choice they can means you are going to have some woman make what you think is the wrong choice, and and the consequences can really be horrible and tragic. Now if this woman was coerced by her priest and/or husband--and I simply don't have enough information here, nor do you seem to, to be able to tell that--that's another story. But a woman's genuine religious beliefs are going to play a role in her decision whether those religious beliefs were indoctrinated into her by a bunch of supposedly celibate men or not.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
No one is saying it's "fine and dandy."

I personally think the Catholic Church has a lot to answer for in this area. But having legal abortion does not prevent these tragedies.

Trusting women to make the best choice they can means you are going to have some woman make what you think is the wrong choice, and and the consequences can really be horrible and tragic. Now if this woman was coerced by her priest and/or husband--and I simply don't have enough information here, nor do you seem to, to be able to tell that--that's another story. But a woman's genuine religious beliefs are going to play a role in her decision whether those religious beliefs were indoctrinated into her by a bunch of supposedly celibate men or not.
I understand all of this, I truly do. No, I don't think she was coerced, at least not in the true sense of the word. She made her own choice. There were many people within the parish, me among them, who tried to talk her into choosing the other path, but she would not go against the priests, and they would not budge on their stance. I have always believed--though I admit I have no evidence of this--that had even one priest given her an indication that God would still love her if she chose her seven other children instead, that she might have changed her mind, but of course, there's no way of knowing that now.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ask the OP how many people were in her group saying 'prayers' and intimidating the women who went in the clinic? Ask her how many propaganda signs and pamphlets they had with them. Ask her how many so-called counselors were in her group who were trying to engage the patients of PP in conversation. Ask the OP how much money their group raises to try and take reproductive rights away from other women. And then you have the gull to question and mock people who donate money to try and fight off this kind of attack on women's rights?
30-40 were PRAYING!
None, unless rosaries are considered propaganda, which I'm sure to you and people like you, they are.
None.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
perhaps when the op grows up instead of just "praying" for women to not abort she can offer to adopt or support a woman who would otherwise have an abortion. but I have a feeling that will never happen, way easier to just "pray" for them
READ THE LAST PART OF THE OP! That's pretty much the point of the thread, "faith without works is dead" an' all that.

I have a question, and I would really like an actual answer; When did praying for people (publicly or privately) because harassment? Or the equivalent of flipping someone off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies